HELP - Issues dying PETG

I am desperate for help. I've been struggling late with dying my PETG visors using idye poly. I end up with a gritty appearance and large black smudged areas. I've used this process before with mixed results and can't figure out how to resolve this problem!!! HELP!!!

kUpoNSU.jpg

I use a large stainless steel pot to boil my water and mix my dye. I then put that into a plastic container and wait for it to cool down to ~145F. Then I dip my visor and let it sit for 8 min the. Into cold water, rinse and repeat! I am desperate for help!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Problem with PETG is it's flexible rubber content, and the fact that with heat it can almost heal minor blemishes. it's the stuff they make Coke bottles out of, Sprite etc, and the material is coloured during the process of manufacture. I can't recall seeing dyed PETG , have you actually had success colouring it this way in the past?

The dye might be adhering to tiny scratches and pits and as it sits within them the stain is much darker than the smooth areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk