Captain Phasma Build (Jims Fiberglass Kit)

FUZZMA

Hey there FISD members. Names Calvin and today I just received my Captain Phasma kit from Jim Tripon. Absolutely love the kit and Jim has been awesome! I've been on the Phasma costuming page for a while and have seen the builds, and everyone in the Mountain Garrison and that page have pointed me in this direction. I am new to the costuming and building, so any info and tips/tricks is most definitely welcome! Can't wait to start the build and be trooping with you guys in the near future. 

I was gonna start with washing the kit thoroughly tomorrow to remove any grime and dust so I can see any imperfections in the kit. If sanding is needed (which probably yes) what grit do you all recommend? 

post-29577-0-68407300-1474081445_thumb.jpg

post-29577-0-04401900-1474081447_thumb.jpg

post-29577-0-18687500-1474081448_thumb.jpg

NICE! I was going to do a phasma but chose Kylo instead. What phase armor is this for jim? Still fiberglass-ish material? 

ya. its the version 4 armor and the version 3 helmet. Everything is the newest version of his kit. and the material is the flexible fiberglass still. I don't have a lot of experience with fiberflass, but the armor feels like rubber and is incredibly flexible

Since you have to Paint it start with 400 and just go bigger numbers till you are wet sanding with 2000. Phasma needs to be a mirror or it looks awful. If you are having it professionally chromed...just pay them to do the surface work.

Since you have to Paint it start with 400 and just go bigger numbers till you are wet sanding with 2000. Phasma needs to be a mirror or it looks awful. If you are having it professionally chromed...just pay them to do the surface work.

I plan on having it vac-metalized. I didn't know that they would do the surface work. I should obviously do the bondo and get it all smooth tho right? and let them finish it from there?

I would ask whomever is doing the vac metal work if they do the surface finishing. If so, let them do it so they have to redo it if there's a problem. Otherwise ask them how they want it brought in.

But yes you'll have to do the seams and structural work. I'd make sure they see a picture of the kit as well as desired final look in case that they want things in specific parts or layers.

Edited by sylverbard
  • Like 1

I would ask whomever is doing the vac metal work if they do the surface finishing. If so, let them do it so they have to redo it if there's a problem. Otherwise ask them how they want it brought in.

Alright sweet! Will definitely be in contact with some local places. Heard that it can be a pain to find a shop that will do this project. But thanks for letting me in on that possibility.

Not a lot done today, but was able to give the armor a good wash to get all the dirt and grime off of it. Did a quick glance on the inspection to feel and look for cracks, bumps, dimples, etc. Gonna let it all dry overnight and hopefully after work tomorrow start sanding the inside to get rid of those nasty fiberglass hairs.

post-29577-0-06115500-1474154162_thumb.jpg

post-29577-0-28036300-1474154163_thumb.jpg

post-29577-0-90525700-1474154175_thumb.jpg

I've got Jim's Phasma. I'm painting it so not sure about the metalizing. BUT word of caution. The kit is going to need a lot of prep-I've been working on it since July and just got done painting the black undercoat and there's a couple pieces where I can see where I didn't do a good enough job on them. I'd invest in a good electric palm sander. It'll save your hands and save you on time. I've seen a few vacuum metalized kits-not many. Most people don't have the budget for that so paint it is! Which has its own troubles. Are you on Facebook? If so, check out the Captain Phasma Costumers build page and Jim's build page. Great groups of people who can help and there's a few of the metalized kits in the Phasma page. 

• Like 3

I've got Jim's Phasma. I'm painting it so not sure about the metalizing. BUT word of caution. The kit is going to need a lot of prep-I've been working on it since July and just got done painting the black undercoat and there's a couple pieces where I can see where I didn't do a good enough job on them. I'd invest in a good electric palm sander. It'll save your hands and save you on time. I've seen a few vacuum metalized kits-not many. Most people don't have the budget for that so paint it is! Which has its own troubles. Are you on Facebook? If so, check out the Captain Phasma Costumers build page and Jim's build page. Great groups of people who can help and there's a few of the metalized kits in the Phasma page. 

Ya Molly I'm part of that group. Calvin Mondragon. And I thought about the hand sander, I have a few. But for me at the moment I really like being able to just hand sand. I get a better feel with armor and with what I'm doing. But phase will probably pass lol. Jim's kit is absolutely amazing and so easy to work with. Very happy with it so far

Ya Molly I'm part of that group. Calvin Mondragon. And I thought about the hand sander, I have a few. But for me at the moment I really like being able to just hand sand. I get a better feel with armor and with what I'm doing. But phase will probably pass lol. Jim's kit is absolutely amazing and so easy to work with. Very happy with it so far

There's enough prep work with this armor that you'll get sick of hand-sanding realllllll fast.

Awesome! Glad to meet ya! 

And yeah, Vince is right. Hand sanding gets old fast. Especially on the big pieces. Good lord. Hahaha 

If you can, look up Jessica Bowyer-she's got Jim's Phasma and it's been metalized. It's amazing and she's still trimming and fixing it every time she wears it hahaha. 

Awesome! Glad to meet ya!

And yeah, Vince is right. Hand sanding gets old fast. Especially on the big pieces. Good lord. Hahaha

If you can, look up Jessica Bowyer-she's got Jim's Phasma and it's been metalized. It's amazing and she's still trimming and fixing it every time she wears it hahaha.

Glad to "meet" you to lol. And ya, ive talked to jessica a little. Shes actually doing my cape. Cause theres no way in heck thay i can sew lol. Im only a little cautious with palm sanding cause I'm afraid of doing too much. But seems like yours has been going great!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Glad to "meet" you to lol. And ya, ive talked to jessica a little. Shes actually doing my cape. Cause theres no way in heck thay i can sew lol. Im only a little cautious with palm sanding cause I'm afraid of doing too much. But seems like yours has been going great!

I'm getting my cape from Jessica this week! So stoked! 

I'm a decent seamstress but there's no way I'd be able to knock that cape out on my own. It's a beast. And hers look amazing so I didn't have any problem getting one. 

If you're nervous about the power tools, maybe give it a whirl on the inside of say, the back or chest piece? That's what I did, so I could get used to how it felt and how it moved. 

I'm getting my cape from Jessica this week! So stoked!

I'm a decent seamstress but there's no way I'd be able to knock that cape out on my own. It's a beast. And hers look amazing so I didn't have any problem getting one.

If you're nervous about the power tools, maybe give it a whirl on the inside of say, the back or chest piece? That's what I did, so I could get used to how it felt and how it moved.

Awesome! She was working on mine last week so hopefully soon thatll be here. Got the rubberized version too.

And its not necesarrily wary of the tool itself, ive sanded down car parts and stuff. But its the fiberglass. Dont have any experience with it and ibheard from someone you want to be super carefull with the front sanding and exposing the fibers. But seems like everyone on this thread says do it lol. So ill end up getting out the palm sander.

What did you do with the little dimples that were around the armor and helmet? Sand it down to smooth or put in a bondo/filler?

Awesome! She was working on mine last week so hopefully soon thatll be here. Got the rubberized version too.

And its not necesarrily wary of the tool itself, ive sanded down car parts and stuff. But its the fiberglass. Dont have any experience with it and ibheard from someone you want to be super carefull with the front sanding and exposing the fibers. But seems like everyone on this thread says do it lol. So ill end up getting out the palm sander.

What did you do with the little dimples that were around the armor and helmet? Sand it down to smooth or put in a bondo/filler?

Yeah sand it as smooth as you can get it, filler primer, sand some more, fill any dings and pits that you can't smooth out with wet sand with bondo glazing putty, sand, plain primer, sand, filler primer, etc. etc. Hahaha it was a whole thing. The armor I filled with a mix of Apoxie Sculpt, Bondo Filler, Flex Filler, Worbla. It just kind of depended on what piece it was and how bad the damage was.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well I totally spaced on posting my build thread on here and sorry for that. But as of May 18, 2017 my Captain Phasma got approved. TK-18188 reporting for duty! 1331c3755af3074c4bfb37f157081fc4.jpgcd4a284ac33eb4d382f63b456c0cd629.jpg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 5/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, CAPNSTUNN18 said:

Well I totally spaced on posting my build thread on here and sorry for that. But as of May 18, 2017 my Captain Phasma got approved. TK-18188 reporting for duty! 1331c3755af3074c4bfb37f157081fc4.jpgcd4a284ac33eb4d382f63b456c0cd629.jpg

Wow! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

This gives me hope, as I'm looking into doing my own Phasma and becoming an FOTK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 9/16/2016 at 8:04 PM, CAPN FUZZMA said:

Hey there FISD members. Names Calvin and today I just received my Captain Phasma kit from Jim Tripon. Absolutely love the kit and Jim has been awesome! I've been on the Phasma costuming page for a while and have seen the builds, and everyone in the Mountain Garrison and that page have pointed me in this direction. I am new to the costuming and building, so any info and tips/tricks is most definitely welcome! Can't wait to start the build and be trooping with you guys in the near future. 

I was gonna start with washing the kit thoroughly tomorrow to remove any grime and dust so I can see any imperfections in the kit. If sanding is needed (which probably yes) what grit do you all recommend? 

post-29577-0-68407300-1474081445_thumb.jpg

post-29577-0-04401900-1474081447_thumb.jpg

post-29577-0-18687500-1474081448_thumb.jpg