I need some reference

For anyone that hasn't seen my introductory thread, I am working on a project to scratch build some armor.

The first step is to make 3D models in 3ds max so I can send them to the CNC machine to make the molds. I want to make my armor as accurate as possible, so I need good reference. So if anyone would like to help me out all I need is pictures of each part from the top with a ruler or some other scaling device next to it. Side pictures would also help as well as any shots that would help show curvature (Like the "C" cross section on one of the leg pieces or something like that)

I don't need anything for the helmet, because there are so many pictures of them on various websites.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Just curious... what is a "CNC" machine?

And you know about the Helmet Archive right?

You can see there lots of reference pictures from the film along with what other people have done in their own armor designs.

Good luck... that's a monumental task to create your own!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

CNC stands for Computer Numerical Controlled. We have a CNC milling machine, that basically means that instead of turning the cranks for the position by hand, servos controlled by a computer do it for you; this allows precise replication of computer models.

Thanks for the refs, does anyone know of something similar for the body parts? I really want to get some ones from straight on front and or side for the pieces so I can get them as accurate as possible.

As a Machinist, having molds CNC would be great to see. Those molds would last eons. Wow.

I am prettysure you will be having to enter tons of programming by hand. I am not sure if a full armor set has been scanned, and if so, wouldnt be out to the public. Maybe Rubies got one for the new costume,(no matter how bad, never know) and MR I believe got a scan to do there helmets. (still not right...lol)

If you nail the details and get a set of CNC molds, that might set things 'round here on its ear. The bucks would be 1 to 1. The computer would allow for the thickness of the plastic, and you would have a true copy of a screen lid.

Wow.

Maybe even armor. I can see a set of shiny aluminum bucks... Dude.

I for one totaly cant wait to see the outcome. I wonder who is going to call you a recaster... LOL... :D:D

Can you recast true data? The sorce of the numbers would be the key here. If the sorce is a tour suit, thats what you will get. If the sorce is a screen suit, then bingo. Problem is how to get the numbers. If it is off of a fan made, then I am sure the word recast will be used to flail you into submission. Intended or not. But if you could get a sorce outside of the known realm? Totaly new game.

You will be entering into much fought over stats man. Not to many have held the true movie parts.

You would have a truly new sorce of armor in those bucks, If your sorce is right.

A fan made has all the things you love about a fan made, the artist, the time, etc...

But a computer made would be as wonky of as perfect as you want it.

Best of luck.

Well, I don't have any screen armor to scan, so for now it is just hand modeling. And I hate to bust any one's bubble, but I'm modeling an "idealised" one where it is symmetrical *gasp*. The thing is, I know everyone likes the deformed ones because that's how they were in the movies, but I don't see buying a "new deformed" one. To me that would be like buying a brand new car that was designed to look like it was in an accident... I can understand shelling out the big bucks for a actual original one that is a-symmetrical, but I for one, IF I was buying a NEW helmet would want a "perfect" one. Maybe I'm a little monk-ish, maybe I'm just weird (that's for sure :D ) That being said, if anyone wants to lend me a screen used helmet for scanning feel free to do so :P

Come to think of it... I know no one likes a re-caster (myself included) but wouldn't scanning and milling a replica of sed helmet be in a way recasting? Even if it isn't directly making a mold of the original helmet by pouring in plaster or whatever it would still be duplicating it. Hmmm, I'll leave that for the brass around here to figure out. In the mean time I don't have anything to scan, so hand modeling it is :D

Thanks for the good pictures everyone! They will certainly help! The site with the lasers is very interesting, that's a good way to scale the details. I was wondering, are the average kits, like say, the FX ones to scale with the "real" screen armor in the body department? If so, would someone with one of those sets be willing to provide some overall measurements of the pieces? With that for scale, and all of these refs, I think I will be ready to start of the body.

Great luck is my wish for you. I think that is a very cool undertaking.

Making something from scratch is very hard to do. Take tons of pics, we would all love to watch the progress.

Rock on man! :D

looks good, although the ears need to flare out a bit where they fold under the sides of the helmet, and the eyes look a little big.

but fair play to you for starting completely from scratch.

can't wait to see the progress

Matt

Hallelujah!!!, at last!.

You know I've thought for ages that there surely must be someone in our community who as access, time and the ingenuity

with these machines to take on a project like this.I agree with Nathan's comments that this will totally throw things up in the air

and give a totally new meaning to the term 'Fan-Sculpted' if you manage to get it right. B)

There's a guy from England who posts on the RPF who owns an original authenticated set of armour, minus the forearms I think.

I can't remember his user name right now, but he may well be someone to consider approaching regarding measurements.

I really hope you get this project off the ground and wish you nothing but the very best for all your future endeavours.

Boy oh boy..........this is gunna be GOOD! :D

Matt

Hallelujah!!!, at last!.

You know I've thought for ages that there surely must be someone in our community who as access, time and the ingenuity

with these machines to take on a project like this.I agree with Nathan's comments that this will totally throw things up in the air

and give a totally new meaning to the term 'Fan-Sculpted' if you manage to get it right. B)

There's a guy from England who posts on the RPF who owns an original authenticated set of armour, minus the forearms I think.

I can't remember his user name right now, but he may well be someone to consider approaching regarding measurements.

I really hope you get this project off the ground and wish you nothing but the very best for all your future endeavours.

Boy oh boy..........this is gunna be GOOD! :D

There is someone who has posted on here I believe with pictures of an authentic ROTJ suit. It was only missing a few pieces.

Thanks!

I think I'm about done with the helmet. How does it look to you guys?

It looks really good man... again, applause for taking on this task yourself!

I pointed out a few "major" things I noticed here in this image.

Also I put some of the original screen used helmet next to them... I know you're doing symmetrical, but this shows some of the spacing and such I'm pointing out.

Keep up the good work!!

It looks pretty good Matt, but you might want to make a couple of tweaks, like the stuff Noel pointed out. May as well get things as accurate as you can at this early stage than realise you're not happy with it later on once you've invested tons of time/money :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

I know everyone likes the deformed ones because that's how they were in the movies, but I don't see buying a "new deformed" one. To me that would be like buying a brand new car that was designed to look like it was in an accident... I can understand shelling out the big bucks for a actual original one that is a-symmetrical, but I for one, IF I was buying a NEW helmet would want a "perfect" one.

OK try this one for size go buy an E-type jag or Aston Martin,then change all the body panels on them.I somehow dont think that they will end up with the wonderful curves and shapes that make these clasics.

Thats what makes the armour my friend and thats why we pay big bucks for it as you put it.I sugest go and make your own set .You dont need detailed measurements for that,you know the size of your own leg and arms etc and have been given plenty of likes to how it looks.

The stormtrooper as 90% of use here know has been a piece of movie magic and has become an icon over its 30 year history.We love the misshaped curves and subtle shapes to it.

good luck with you project

Looking at the pictures Noel posted earlier, I did a quick paintover, hope you don't mind. I find this kinda thing useful when I'm working on stuff :) It's just little things that need tweaking. Like, making it less triangular between the eyes and making bits a tad curvier:

post-1493-1214415160_thumb.jpg

Hope it helps

Looking at the pictures Noel posted earlier, I did a quick paintover, hope you don't mind. I find this kinda thing useful when I'm working on stuff :) It's just little things that need tweaking. Like, making it less triangular between the eyes and making bits a tad curvier:

post-1493-1214415160_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that looks good Lizzeh... the vox piece was really too low was one main thing I saw.

Nice job. :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I can see what you are talking about. I had been using pictures of a MR helmet as the front and side reference, but it may have been cheap-o or early prototype, and that may explain some of the problems...

I'll go ahead and fix the "mouth" curve. I also noticed that the tube that goes around the bottom could use some plumping out as well as the "nose bridge" And I'll enlarge the eye-thingees ("teardrops"? I'm trying to learn the lingo :mellow:;) ) The chin area was always bothering me, but I never quite knew what it was because it matched my picture, so I assumed it was right... Shouldn't take long to fix :D

I'm also not quite sure what you are saying about the eyes?

stukatrooper, I understand what you are saying about, but imagine the Austin martin if it was scewed and larger on one side. It would ruin the curves. What if it had gotten in an accident on the way to it's debut showing and got one of the fenders smashed in, would everyone want to buy a new one with the fender smashed the exact same way? Most likely not. BUT would the damage make it more unique and possibly make people want to make replicas of the first, smashed one? Possibly.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that my opinion is right, I'm just trying to explain my reasoning behind why I'm doing it the way I am.

The problem with the eyes I saw is that they're not deep enough, the lenses should be sunk a little rather than almost level with the outside. That might help with them looking a bit big too :)

Keep us updated :D

OK, I have fixed the problems, but I can't upload the new image because I don't have enough space... Do I have to delete old images or something to get more space?

Edit: Lizzeh, I see now. I had put a crease at the top of them around where the eye socket crease was. I removed it so it is more rounded.