HWT pack build Engineering Trooper

So, as I am still waiting for my ANH stunt armour to arrive from RT Mod, I decided to get started on my HWT pack, thanks to Tony (Ukswrath) for the guidance and encouraging me to document the build. Also, thanks to Joseph (justjoseph63) for providing input and advice on using the alternative oil pan for the build. <br><br>

Bought all of the materials over the last few months, some of the supplies in Canada, other specific items (like Valspar spray paint) could only get in the US while visiting family. It was a bit of a difficult start as the armour strap I purchased was really hard to cut, so ended up using a pot of boiling water to soften it up. After trimming it, then rubber banded the strap to a piece of the pipe and used the water to mold it to the pipe. <br>

Did the cutting of the boxes using a band saw at my Father in law's workshop, pipe caps at my Dad's shop (as they each have awesome sets of tools and lots of space!).<br>

Assembled and painted the individual assemblies back home in Ajax. <br>

I used the plastic signs for the covers on my boxes just for a little more durability. <br><br>

I have about half done, see picture.<br><br><br>

Will probably finish soon, but final assembly will have to wait to see how it will fit on my stunt armour. More details to come! post-26550-0-13194900-1473898069_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Build progressing well, all boxes completed, did my first initial fitting on the oil pan base tonight, picture attached. (Just noticed I had the radio upside down, will fix that in final fitting :blink: )  Will do the cutting of the oil pan in the next few days to secure the boxes.. a bit nervous about that, but got great guidance and diagrams from Joseph to help the process.    Harness fitting will have to wait until the armor has been completed, but will do some weathering on the pack to continue the work.

02bc5ac7-3245-4fc0-90ab-447c33e960ff_zps

Edited by Engineering trooper
  • Like 2

You have done an AWESOME job on that pack, Jim!! Like Allan mentioned, be sure to turn the radio box right side up before attaching it, and turn the seam in the cone at the bottom to face the back.  Can't wait to see the weathering!

• 4 weeks later...

Pack is pretty well completed, excepting putting on the harness, some inner padding and some battle damage. 

All credit to my son Luke for coming up with the idea to make paper templates for marking the holes for the drywall screw mounting.

Take a look...

IMG_0466_zpsceecufql.jpg

IMG_0473_zpsplcunfrr.jpg

That looks like a million bucks Jim! Good seeing you out at the little show in Pickering this weekend. Hope the rest of your kit shows up soon, as I'm sure you must be getting a bit squirrelly by now. <br><br>

Edited by pewpewpew

• 3 months later...

Ok for anyone still following, been on hiatus with the backpack, as I had gotten to a point in September that couldn't do much else without my armour.

Since November been working on my ANH Stunt build, and am almost finished, so was able to start up on my HWT pack again.

First made sure that the hole fits with the back of the armour, and now am putting in the foam cushion, see picture.

Next steps will be to put on another layer across for the foam, creating a cross cushion, then to the strapping.

Moving along again!

IMG_0712_zpsxaii2nzm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So got the straps installed, with help from my wife and son (former stitching the ends, latter holding the pack to my armour for fitting)

Did a fitting using Velcro to mount the approximate locations of the straps to confirm fitting before mounting them permanently. 

Changed a little for mounting, based on some advice from Joseph:

Used 1/4-20 machine screws, 3/4 inch length with caps and a washer on each side for strength/durability and hex nut on end.

My wife tripled the layers on the ends where the screws mounted, stitching that part together for a stronger strap mount.

I used a 5/32 inch punch to do the holes in straps, 13/64 bit for the screw holes to the pack.

Did a preassembly of the screw/cap cover and washer to the strap before mounting on the pack.  

Will be mounting the ammo pack strap tomorrow.

One tip;   I got my ammo packs empty, so used some tile foam (closed cell type for kids playroom) to put in each individual pack to fill it out.

See pictures below, almost done!

First fitting using Velcro: 

IMG_0729_zpshirba2sp.jpg

IMG_0734_zpsrq2znuzq.jpg

IMG_0735_zpsmgonhp3t.jpg

Final mounting:   (Will need to reglue the foam...)

IMG_0736_zpsdyqtnzwe.jpg

Pack is now complete, did a fitting today.  (Antenna will be added back on when trooping, off for storage ;) )

Fixed my ammo pack a bit differently:  Used snaps on the main strap and a sewed strap to the ammo pack.  

See pictures.  Now  ready to use for submission to HWT!

IMG_0739_zps7oymjftj.jpg

IMG_0738_zpsp4afodnz.jpg

IMG_0737_zpsxvpe4hmz.jpg

IMG_1074_zpsxyzyb6jv.jpg

Edited by Engineering trooper

That looks great Jim. :jc_doublethumbup:

I'd love to see a listing of where you got your parts from, for those Canadian troopers looking to go down the same HWT road.

Most parts were local, list of what is required came from Ukswrath's (Tony) build thread.

Most stuff is available in Canada, but some (paint especially) was in the US only, but you could probably substitute.

Tony had links to some of the specialty stuff, such as the food containers (Amazon I believe). 

The oil pan I had to order off of a specialty website, had it shipped to the US.

Will try to give a better list after Comicon...