Trooperexpert on Kjiji

BritBulldog

Hello everyone,

We're looking for a TK kit for my girlfriend, and we stumbled across this listing on Kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/markham-york-region/star-wars-stormtrooper-armour-new/1196389227

He claims it was made by Trooperexpert. I know the price is way too high (it's not much less than I'm paying for my full RS commission), but he indicated he's willing to be flexible when she talked to him. My question is - is it really what he claims it is? And if so, is it actually any good? I've trawled the forum looking for opinions on TE and have found conflicting opinions.

Cheers,

Paul

Red flags:

This set is no longer being produced

- ANH Stunt is being produced by many vendors, it's the most common.

Made using the ORIGINAL, SCREEN USED armour from the movie to cast it

- Molds are used, the originals are not used as casts as they are old and rare to find the original in one piece. The molds are hand-made.

Otherwise, from what i can see, it LOOKS legit. That doesn't mean that it is or that this is a great deal.

ALL OF THAT SAID...

I would suggest not purchasing this. The reason being is that you should build your armor to fit you and your body. There's no guarantee that this is going to fit her, and you may have a lot more work involved trying to trim it down to her size. Depending on her body size, there are vendors that build for smaller or bigger Troopers, as well as taller and shorter Troopers. There's also a line of Femme armor, designed specifically for women's shapes.

You will spend around that much or less on a new kit, which you would then trim so that it fits her exactly.

Here are a couple of resources on where to find armor, and where to avoid.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/page-48#entry512483

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/#entry234636

Trooper 31201 | Star Garrison | North Texas Squad

Edited by Strength

Also, most legit members sell their armor on the 501st forums, the fisd for sale forum, or sell them directly to their garrison members. I, personally, have never seen a legit approved armor kit, fully assembled, sold outside of the 501st community.

Trooper 31201 | Star Garrison | North Texas Squad

Thanks so much :duim: . We know we're going to need to do some trimming as she's "fun size" (5'4", her words not mine :P ). I think we'll avoid that one, given that neither of us are experienced builders at all, and if it's no longer in production sourcing replacement parts for the inevitable screwups will be a nightmare.

Thanks so much :duim: . We know we're going to need to do some trimming as she's "fun size" (5'4", her words not mine :P ). I think we'll avoid that one, given that neither of us are experienced builders at all, and if it's no longer in production sourcing replacement parts for the inevitable screwups will be a nightmare.

Your best bet is to contact your local 501st Garrison and have a chat with them.  They should be able to point you at a known source locally or at least where shipping won't cripple you!

For Ontario it looks like Capital City Garrison for you: http://capitalcity501st.ca/

• Like 1

Yes Paul, being out of production is a bit of an issue. There are many reputable vendors listed here on FISD; they'll all be better options. You've also got to choose what material you'd prefer. the kijiji add is HIPS. Are you looking for HIPS, or ABS?

Regardless, check us out in Hamilton; there will be troopers of all sizes and from different vendors there. :duim:

• Like 1

Yes Paul, being out of production is a bit of an issue. There are many reputable vendors listed here on FISD; they'll all be better options. You've also got to choose what material you'd prefer. the kijiji add is HIPS. Are you looking for HIPS, or ABS?

Regardless, check us out in Hamilton; there will be troopers of all sizes and from different vendors there. :duim:

Cheers Brad. My RS is coming in PVC, but it seems most vendors use ABS so I expect the kit we get for her will be in that. As long as it's resilient enough for trooping I'm not too fussed.

We're hoping to be there - we'll have impatient kids in tow so won't be able to stick around long, but long enough to check out some armour and make some introductions I hope :)

We may well end up doing that. The final choice will come down to cost and waitlist time

Paul,

Im in Oakville, I have contacted this person for fun about the armor, I do know of the builder and they have a bit of a bad rap here, as others have suggested stay clear of it and get something from a vetted builder. 

Cant go wrong with AP, Mark is quick at getting orders out.. Just keep in mind his armor is one of the smallest available, he has made a new Ab plate to fit bigger waisted troopers (about 42 inches), but chest and back still remain tiny (40-47 inch chest). 5'8-6'1 150-200lbs and it fits like a glove,.. Any bigger RT-MOD or AM 2.0 is the best bet.. 

Hope to see you trooping soon, a lot of local members around to assist you..  

Chris 

TD-42115

• Like 1

Cheers Chris :) She's only 5'4" but she is... ahem... "fuller chested". I believe she's got an email out to Mark now.

Paul,

I just built a AP kit for a fellow female trooper and the fit is quite good, AP is the way to go at 5'4" for sure. Mark does make a nice armor.. 

• Like 1

Paul,

I just built a AP kit for a fellow female trooper and the fit is quite good, AP is the way to go at 5'4" for sure. Mark does make a nice armor.. 

Good to know, we may well be picking your brains when the time comes if that's ok :)

Good to know, we may well be picking your brains when the time comes if that's ok :)

Absolutely, do a lot of research by looking at other build threads, you will find they are a massive help. Another thing to remember is there is no such thing as a stupid question, so as away members of the FISD & other detachments are awesome and will get you the answer you require  :duim:

A tip.. is to build the armor to the centurion standard, will make the detachment progression a lot easier. 

Edited by TD42115
  • Like 1

Absolutely, do a lot of research by looking at other build threads, you will find they are a massive help. Another thing to remember is there is no such thing as a stupid question, so as away members of the FISD & other detachments are awesome and will get you the answer you require  :duim:

A tip.. is to build the armor to the centurion standard, will make the detachment progression a lot easier. 

Cheers :)

We're definitely going to be shooting for EIB for both our kits at the minimum.

• Like 1