Helmet pads or hard hat insert

RLH2515

I think it has to do with personal preference.  I have a set of Army Combat Helmet pads in my bucket.  I think they work great.  You can find them on eBay.

I've been using a hard hat liner but the longer the troop is, the less comfortable it becomes. I've been thinking about replacing the liner with some type of padding but haven't gotten around to it yet.

An alternative to the pads is a one inch thick piece of "chair cushion" foam from Wal-Mart, (about $6.00)  I cut a piece about 3 inches wide, long enough to stretch from ear to ear, glued a piece of a black T-shirt around it, and used Velcro to hold it in place inside my bucket.  Dozens of troops later, it is holding up great.

Another thing to think about is adding any sort of cushioning to the inside of the top of the helmet.  At first, I had padding there (using the same 1 inch foam), but I found that I was constantly tilting my bucket forward to be able to see.  I took it out, and viola!  No more tilting!  Plus, it eliminated the "bobble-head" look from my helmet riding too high up on my head.  

I use a hard hat liner with the adjustable knob, but I don't have it glued in. Instead of gluing the pieces, I used Velcro with no problems. I did it this way not knowing if I would like it, but it turns out that I do, and the Velcro holds it fine, so I left it. I tried the pads briefly and didn't care for it. My helmet came with a chin strap that I liked, but it was a pain snapping it.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I made pads out of dollar store knee pads. They curve nicely, cut easily, and I just hollowed out the spots my ears sit it. Thin foam on top so I can see out the eyes and done.