What to do with my Thigh Pieces

Looking for advise on what to do with these. Its kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm afraid if I trim the front to specs and do the one inch but joint on the front, the backside will have a huge gap. Looking for ideas do I trim the front and shim the back? Thanks for any help.

2599944330_5d8c73c945_b.jpg

2599114889_ca6ac99716_b.jpg

There are threads on this... you apparently add "shims".... pieces of plastic...

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

You want to make sure that the seams on the front of your thighs are put together nice and neat and leave a gap on the back of the thighs. Then you'll need to add shims to the back of the thighs to cover the gap like whats shown in the post above mine.

Yep, make the front accurate and nice, and cheat on the back. If you want to go all out check out the clone forums tutorials and put in an invisible shim.

I dont want to throw water on your fireworks but if i were you i would find someone to help you with this build close to your home.

Im sure as you have a TE2 that there will be some willing hands at your door if you asked.

This sort of kit if for the more seasoned builder,with one or two kits under there belt.There are no trim lines to cut to as you have found.

Im not trying to put your skills down but the alarm bells rang out for me when you asked about trimming the shoulder bells.

this kit can look fantastic for you, i know everyone wants it to turn out that way for you.

I wish that were the case. There is a guy and I have talked to him, he suggested I go this way with TE2 as a first. I am trying to get it ready for our 4th of July Parade, and unfortunately he is gone until July 2nd. I've got everything else trimmed and fit just my big soccer thighs keeping me from being done with the glue. I live in Alaska so options are limited. My friend will be helping me finish things when he gets back, but he is also finishing his clone. I was just hoping there was someone with TE2 and big legs that had the same problem and could show me their solution. I am also getting help from him via email. I knew this was a big task when I undertook, I just a visual learner, if I see it I can do it.

Here is where I am now Front trimmed and glued and back well you'll see.

2600853207_fd076a3997.jpg2600853531_679fd169ac.jpg

Thanks Jon

OK Jon,thanks for taking my post as it was ment to be read.Looks like you got the front spot on.

What i would do is leave the back not trimming anything from it.run some velcro down each side on the outside and cut out a plastic shape to cover the gap.

2601916426_abd107de83_o.jpg

It isnt going to be pretty but will work,also if you ever wanted to sell on the armour you could without the new owner having to mod the thighs even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with the wedge shaped piece with Velcro on either side. two 14 hour days on July 2nd and 3rd, and I was able to march in Anchorage's 4th of July Parade, as an official member I am TK-7394. Here are pictures of the thigh patch and me in the Parade.

2639772337_deae313ba8_m.jpg

2639678729_8a4421cc21.jpg

Nice! I think over time you can cut a piece of plastic to go on top of the shim to make it look flush - hey maybe even run a bead of sealant on one side.

But that's a minor bit on an otherwise great costume - it's really hard to get kit adjusted to fit bigger guys well and you do a nice job of pulling it off. Elite next? You'd be the first from AK to get it :)

Oh - and congrats on your TKID!!!

I had to shim my thighs too. I used about 1 to 1-1/2 inch shim rivetted in place. The Velcro shim I tried first was just too bulky looking to me. Looks like you could do the something similar on yours.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021