Type of plastic look for helmet and body parts

Hi guys I was just wondering what look should have the plastic? What I mean is that I want to vacuum form with hips ,but the problem is that there is gloss/matt sheets and simply matt sheets. So I was wondering about should I use one type for the helmet and all the body parts or I should use one type for the helmet and the other for the body parts? Basically what type I should use for the helmet and all the body parts?

Good question and not easy to answer. According to my information, the armors in the movie were made from matt or semi gloss ABS and looked shiny because of the lighting on the set.

The helmets were made from khaki-green HDPE plastic and then painted white to match the armor.

If you have various materials available, I would personally not mix them. As far as I know, none of the vetted armor makers does that (maybe except the customer asks for it).

Regarding gloss or semi gloss, I would always go for semi, because the gloss ABS looks like the trooper just stepped out of the water. It is very shiny.

Hope this helps and maybe someone else will chime in...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have used flat white HIPS and painted it with a glossy coat and it looks perfect.  HIPS is the easier of the plastics to work with.  I have not had any issues with mine for a year now and I used the semi glossy HIPS.  no cracks etc.

• 3 months later...

ABS is not too hard to work with as long as you have a Dremel. Makes cutting and sanding a breeze. Of course the final sanding should be done by hand. I do like the shiny look. Even if you are going to do some weathering. They all started out shiny. I would imagine.