Another ANH stunt build? Yes, another one.

TJisThatGuy

Yes, there should be some return edge on the top but you have a lot there. It's just a friendly suggestion but I would take of a least 1/3 of what you currently have there. Looks like you have about 8-9mm when around 5mm looks a little cleaner. It's totally up to you though. I just found myself pulling out the Dremel after my first troop and going to town on mine as they were very much like yours at first, which led to much discomfort! (Especially when you get to the inner thigh region!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whaddya know. More wonky edges. After trimming and gluing the inner strip on the front of my thighs, I noticed a tiny gap on the left leg by the knee where the cover strip doesn't cover.

8ab3ed2664d11a455fca80b96c379388.jpg

If it was on the other leg, it wouldn't be an issue, since the ammo belt would cover it.

I'm sure it would pass basic muster. But it would obviously be easier to fix before I glue the outer strip. Should I bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TJisThatGuy

That gap is fine. I put a little piece of ABS behind in the little channel and that closed up my gap a bit more. If you look at the screen used armor it's that and worse on most pieces.

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 1

That gap is fine. I put a little piece of ABS behind in the little channel and that closed up my gap a bit more. If you look at the screen used armor it's that and worse on most pieces.

Thanks. That what I was planning on doing. I know some of the actual movie armor was sloppy. But it's tough to know how sloppy I can go while still respecting myself in the morning.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey troopers. I stopped building, seemingly for no reason, over a year ago. I have brought shame to my new empire. I hope you can find forgiveness in your hearts. Im finally looking to get this thing finished. Hopefully by the end of this year. So without further ado, let's start where i left off.

As previously stated, i sort of biffed the trimming of one of the forearms. No i have seen this before so i know its not the worst thing that could happen. My question is, when i attach the cover strip should I go

A) straight across, like usual

B ) angled at the top to bridge the gap

That is not the cover strip nor is it cover strip material. Just used some scrap for visual assistance.ebe621140e580080a344fa789be11028.jpg7a9e03357fd5f9b037820089f775ef42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Apparently, my cover strip slid a little to the right while drying. You can see the left over glue from the original placement. Anyhoots, its E-6000. So easy enough to peel off and try again. Just a little annoying since i only own enough magnets and clamps to do three pieces at a time. e49e20072239262bf8bd24cb5f09bc7b.jpg68ee4206dbe3a0d211ea350d95168b1e.jpg

This forearm is really frustrating me. It was the forst piece of plastic i trimmed out of the box. And in my rookiest of errors, i rushed, amd cut before really thinking about what i was doing. I took all the plastic off of one half.

No matter how ive tried, i cant get the front outter cover strip to sit right. It either peels off when pull the back shut to glue it. Or it just looks crooked. i guess i want to know, is there anyway to fix this, or do i need new forearm pieces?

For reference, the other arm came out just fine.
16a5323715982e3298c3a3f8cce784a4.jpgd6faba5e2bb6f938e9e9b59ab79dc169.jpg631a6534671cb6cccd8bba565f13b447.jpg0f9366b917821b401f5b4a9092fe5051.jpg

Two options that I see:

1 - (easy option, possible Centurion roadblocks): Use more heavy duty glue, like an ABS solvent (thin coat). I had to do this on one of my forearms because the E6000 seams kept coming apart.

2 (will look better) - the way your forearms are trimmed, you'll have your cover strips off (too close on one side, too far apart on the other). You could use some inner cover strips/ABS paste to correct your edges and then proceed to glue with outside cover strips as normal, but this would entail more work.

I'm sure others will have their own words of wisdom.

No doubt you messed up but all is not lost. My advice is to separate the two parts and start again, but this time you should glue the joining strips to the outer half and leave to dry. Then glue the back together (the side you are having trouble with) and leave to dry. The forearm will have a big gap to close up now but the plastic should be flexible enough and since you have the flat joining edges moulded into the top of the forearm, this makes joining them much easier. Glue the forearm closed and use several strips of tape to prevent any movement while the glue dries.

This is the technique I use for thin troopers when I have to over-trim the armour and it works a treat. Just make sure you give the glue (E6000 I presume) a good 24 hours to cure each time. Work on other parts in the meantime.

Edited by troopermaster
  • Like 1

Would it be possible to get a new forearm? 
I wonder. It's AM 2.0. I feel like i remember seeing that they dont do replacement parts. However, I was able to order new helmet decals from them. Ill have to find the email address and ask. Its been over a year though. So its buried in my old emails somewhere.

Two options that I see:

1 - (easy option, possible Centurion roadblocks): Use more heavy duty glue, like an ABS solvent (thin coat). I had to do this on one of my forearms because the E6000 seams kept coming apart.

I may try this, as centurion was never really on my radar. Ive been doing this on my own with no guidance save for this fine forum. And i doubt i could abs paste well enough to make it look like new.

No doubt you messed up but all is not lost. My advice is to separate the two parts and start again, but this time you should glue the joining strips to the outer half and leave to dry. Then glue the back together (the side you are having trouble with) and leave to dry. The forearm will have a big gap to close up now but the plastic should be flexible enough and since you have the flat joining edges moulded into the top of the forearm, this makes joining them much easier. Glue the forearm closed and use several strips of tape to prevent any movement while the glue dries.

This is the technique I use for thin troopers when I have to over-trim the armour and it works a treat. Just make sure you give the glue (E6000 I presume) a good 24 hours to cure each time. Work on other parts in the meantime.
I suppose i can give it a try. It just seems no matter which side i glue first, it has to bend way too far the other way that the glued side starts peeling. I refuse to give up though. I didnt buy the armor to stare at the box.

If that is the case and you try my method, before closing the gap try gently warming the plastic with a heat gun or hair dryer first. You want to warm the outer half of the forearm since that is the part that needs persuading. Try a few gentle wafts and then try a few more until the plastic gives. You just need to warm it up enough so the plastic is more pliable and then quickly tape it closed. You want the glue applied to the inner part when you do this and have your tape strips ready, then use magnet and/or clamps to keep the parts secure while the glue dries.

It's worth a shot :)

• Like 1

If that is the case and you try my method, before closing the gap try gently warming the plastic with a heat gun or hair dryer first. You want to warm the outer half of the forearm since that is the part that needs persuading. Try a few gentle wafts and then try a few more until the plastic gives. You just need to warm it up enough so the plastic is more pliable and then quickly tape it closed. You want the glue applied to the inner part when you do this and have your tape strips ready, then use magnet and/or clamps to keep the parts secure while the glue dries.

It's worth a shot
I see what you're saying. I must have misread before. I was thinking by outer half, you meant the side that faces front. Your method makes much more sense now. Thanks.

4 hours ago, TJisThatGuy said:

I wonder. It's AM 2.0. I feel like i remember seeing that they dont do replacement parts. However, I was able to order new helmet decals from them. Ill have to find the email address and ask. Its been over a year though. So its buried in my old emails somewhere.

Fingers crossed then :) although you`ve gotten some good advise from Paul that should sort you out :duim: the replacment was more an OCD thing on my part keeping the cover strip centred, doubt it even beeing "spotted" ones the armor is complete:salute:

Hi mate,

Much like Paul referred to, I’m also one of those with quite skinny forearms. I had to really work on my forearms (well, specifically the left one) to get it to fit.

Here’s a picture of my left forearm as I was constructing it. As the ‘top’ part was gluing (E6000 for 24hrs) you’ll see the huge gap left at the bottom. To get a good bond, I used clamps, tape and 20x10mm magnets.

2d941adfd218ee633a0afaecd669ee60.jpg

Also in this shot, top right.

97da580edfbedd085a814f3213ee9ad2.jpg

Once this was securely bonded, I was able to pull the gap together and repeat the process for the ‘bottom’ join. I also used masking tape in addition to the clamps and magnets hold hold the whole thing in the right place/shape whilst gluing.

b0ec785b069385f08ce1999cfeda4611.jpg

Keep going mate. You’ll get there. :-)

• 1 month later...

After another short break, I'm back. Thanks for the suggestions regarding the forearm. I tried several of them on my own to no avail.

I reached out to an ECG member who was very kind to help me out. I know he's on here but i did not get his user name. Thanks, trooper.

So we expanded the gap with a larger than normal inner cover strip, filled the gap with excess abs, and secured the outer cover strip over the two seams. Its curing now and i dont dare disturb it. Hopefully it holds up.

d28ae3faa636b2260acbcc59a83e38b2.jpgf47982806dcab2d31574f9114237c4fc.jpg938e2de25a6e55f25db7490320f2c9fd.jpg