Lard Assvader

First Order Stormtrooper EVA Foam Build...on a teeny budget

Boots and Gloves. In the previous post you will see i found some old leather gloves which were sacrificed for the build. I will add the white details later. Then I arrived at the boots issue. Cant afford to go for the proper boots, not an option especially on a boy who probably will keep growing. So found an old pair of wellie boots which again were free and surplus to requirements. I intend to cut them down and spray them.

image_zps9srs6hhd.jpeg

I honestly wish this thread would never end, Richard..  You are doing a brilliant job on this, and your comments are keeping me literally laughing out loud!  

• Like 3

I honestly wish this thread would never end, Richard..  You are doing a brilliant job on this, and your comments are keeping me literally laughing out loud!

Same!

Richard, you truly have a talent here. The foam looks very clean and well put together.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by T K
  • Like 2

Right...whats next?...The blaster. Well Im still thinking the blaster was bought by my son so I'm not going to add that to the total...the blaster is an optional extra...a bit like a stormtrooper handbag or off the shoulder crop top...you don't need them but man do they make you feel good. I will however be buying paint for this blaster and that comes out of my hard earned cash. I found a fantastic tutorial on Youtube by the PropShop which details how to turn the blaster into a REAL looking blaster. So I had to buy a can of White, a can of Flat black and some silver paint. Then finish it with a clear matt sealer. The paint came to £13.93 and the sealer was a Plasticoat Sealer for £6.95 totalling £20.88...WHAT A RIP OFF PAINT IS.

So this is what I'm starting with...yep its a toy...it looks like a toy. Im pretty sure the troopers in the film didn't have star wars written on their blasters.

image_zpsb27kkz81.jpeg

So the first job was to take it to bits...the tutorial doesn't tell you to do this but i wanted to get in there and paint it properly. BIG MISTAKE.

Took the 400 tiny screws out with a screwdriver i got in a christmas cracker and pull apart the two halves. The spring shot out and dented the wall as can be seen below. The innards of the gun exploded in every direction...how hard can it be to put them back together?

image_zpsqg6w9k1p.jpeg

So then it was a case of spraying and masking, masking and spraying....and on and on.

Ventilation is essential when spraying paint...i will try to remember that next time...i was so high...luckily the pink giraffe that came to visit was there to help me.

The Youtube vid is fab..it goes on to tell you how to weather the gun by painting brown paint (which i had) over the painstaking spraying that you have just done...It was a leap of faith but it looks great.

I then had the simple task of getting it back together. OMG I have never been so angry in all my life. It made no sense. I googled pics and videos but whatever i tried it failed. I must've put those 400 screws in and taken them out 30 times...It got late...I ran out of swear words and moved on to hand gestures and rocking back and forth...I gave up.

In the morning I found a piece in the garage that was integral to making the thing work...just goes to show that getting cross at things doesn't help...

Once it was back together i gave it a spray with the Plasticoat sealer...Man I thought the paint was hallucinogenic..this stuff is a whole different ball game...its not even a ball game...its quidditch...on ice.

Anyway heres the results...pretty darn pleased with it.

image_zpsnjio38dy.jpeg

image_zpsbp74nwfx.jpeg

• Like 2

So this the suit in its temporary storage...where do you even store these things? This has made me jump three times so far. Still got lots of little bits to do so bear with me.

image_zpsyarzskvw.jpeg

image_zpstmm7w1bh.jpeg

My eldest son some how squeezed into the suit tonight...Im starting to get a complex about my weight as i can even get close to fitting into it.

Still need some suggestions for the GASKETS...cheap suggestions.

image_zps4m2c6vlu.jpeg

image_zpswzpfgpgn.jpeg

Also what are peoples opinions on weathering the suit to match the gun?...i like the gun.

Edited by Lard Assvader

I would recommend very little weathering. Take a look at the movie and look at the troopers on Jakku that are chasing Finn and Rey. You can see that they are overall pretty clean, but with minor scuffs and whatnot.

• Like 1

Man am I loving watching this build!!  :popcorn:

I admire your turning the toy blaster into an accurate one.  I've done that myself.

• Like 1

Corduroy material , black, or sprayed with plastidip.

• Like 3

Super! Looks amazing. So impressed I might try making a similar Captain Phasma suit for my daughter. Congrats!

• Like 1

Many thanks guys...stand by for the big shoe update that you've all been waiting for...can you hold back the excitement any longer.<br>

Apologies for slow updates but sometimes life gets in the way of life...

Amazing build, I'm really enjoying it.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  Your Son will be so happy.

• Like 1

With the gaskets, you can use this stuff. It doesn't take many yards to just do the neck, elbows, and knees :)

I would reccomend 5-6 yards of this stuff. You could just wrap it around and super glue the ends shut. http://lowpricefabric.com/p-17464-stretch-rib-quilt-faux-leather-ml287320-black.aspx?keyword=stretch+rib+quilt+faux+leather

• Like 3

With the gaskets, you can use this stuff. It doesn't take many yards to just do the neck, elbows, and knees :)

I would reccomend 5-6 yards of this stuff. You could just wrap it around and super glue the ends shut. http://lowpricefabric.com/p-17464-stretch-rib-quilt-faux-leather-ml287320-black.aspx?keyword=stretch+rib+quilt+faux+leather

Wow! Great find for this costume!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 2

Wow! Great find for this costume!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Someone found it on the R1 Trooper Armoury Facebook page. It may very well possibly be my life saver for my DT :D

Also what are peoples opinions on weathering the suit to match the gun?...i like the gun.

I think the blaster looks great however I personally think that a weathered blaster doesn't really match up with a Parade Ready suit. Within the concept of a military unit it seems unlikely that a Trooper would keep his suit in pristine condition while allowing his weapon to get that battered up. Just my opinion though. 

• Like 2

I have to say this is one of the most entertaining threads I've read in ages, purely for the running commentary alone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great find indeed! However this is a US company and have tried in vain to find similar fabric in the UK. I'm currently making my own fabric which shall be posted soon, thanks though!
  • Like 1