Black Series Stormtrooper Helmet for Rogue One

TK-16845

This view from the back really shows the battery compartment as well as the lines for the speaker. As good a deal as this is, these two features alone will probably keep me from purchasing it for trooping purposes.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

I haven't tried the voice changer yet as it didn't come with batteries??? Really... thought for 80 bucks it should have.

I'm not too impressed by it. I mean it is ok, fits pretty good. The inside straps don't do much I feel. I was very excited when I ordered it, it displays well... good for cosplay, but this is a Rogue One bucket which can't be compared to any other Stormy helmet so I'll keep it.

Edited by DarthShinzu

Got one on Rogue Friday. Couldn't resist. Halfway through with modding it. I think the brow is plenty thick. I just think the underside of the lip it's on needs to be painted black.

Here's my list of mods:

1. Fill in the speaker holes and batt. compartment seams. (sand and repaint)

2. File out the tube stripes and back with blue plastic.

3. Paint underside of brow trim lip

4. Replace lenses.

5. Cut out fronts of mic tips and replace with actual screen.

6. Replace frown backing with black mesh screen.

7. Gut electronics and glue ear button in place.

Now here are some things that might be more difficult and might not be actually necessary depending on how strict the CLR ends up:

1. Cut out teeth of frown and replace with new teeth attached from the inside. (this will require cleaning up and smoothing out the lips of the frown they are attached to)

2. Cutting the whole mouth piece off of the face plate and reattaching it so there is an actual seam that separates them. Like the EFX has. (this detail can be seen in shots of the screen used helmets)

3. Replacing the mouth bars with separate individual bars instead of one solid molded piece.

I'm not even going to attempt these last three mods. While they will make it 100% screen accurate, I don't think I can pull them off without completely ruining the helmet. While I want this helmet to be troopable, I'm probably 1-2 years away from RO armor. So if my 1-7 mods don't get it approved then hopefully by the time there is an accurate armor kit there will be a bucket to go with it.

On 10/7/2016 at 7:23 AM, bluehickey said:

This view from the back really shows the battery compartment as well as the lines for the speaker. As good a deal as this is, these two features alone will probably keep me from purchasing it for trooping purposes.

----------

Also, I am never a fan of having the cap being separate from the back.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...

So I FINALLY received my Amazon pre-order for this yesterday.  I think it has a really nice look from the front and I have no trouble with wearing it as others have experience (I'm a 7-1/2 hat size), although the nose guard keeps me from angling it down as far as I normally would.  It seems like you just have to put it on in a different way than a regular TK bucket, buy angling it down onto your head from above while keeping it lined up straight with your head, instead of turning it sideways.

Anyway, I think it makes a really nice display piece.  It's also something I can let visiting younglings play with without cringing so much.

While I don't intend to ever try to make it troopable, I think it would be fun and worthwhile to make some mods to improve accuracy.  Hard to beat for the price!

Oh, final thought...  The voice changer sucks, really doesn't work at all.  If I mod this it'll be the first thing to go!

Edited by Coloursergeant

Received the helmet a few days ago/ Didn't like it at first, ( cause wasn't accurate) but the more I wore it and looked at it, the more I loved it... Beautiful piece... But I had to take the hard hat adjustment strap thingymajig to actually fit snug around my head... The nose piece still sits lower than the bone and hurts...

Edited by GandalfTheImperial

Anyone found a spray paint that matches the white? It is a "cool" white which favors the blue over a "hot" white that favors yellow. So far I've tried Rustoleum X2 coverage and Krylon Super Maxx. The Rusto was closer but not perfect.

Try Tamiya gloss white... Heard it's close... Most people would usually just repaint it since it has scuffs...

BTW, that's one disturbing profile pic xD

Edited by GandalfTheImperial

I was on my SlickDeals site and saw some Marvel Ironman and Captain America gear was on sale, tried my luck with Star Wars. Save $16 at Target to get it down to $64 using code KIDSGIFTS

----------

I popped on the forums here to check if the helmet was any good, I may pick one up for that price.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Well my helmet was supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't so the retailer agreed to refund my delivery costs. Finally got the delivery today and they've only gone and sent me 2 instead of 1. The invoice says it's for 1 unit so thank you very much Argos.

Well my helmet was supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't so the retailer agreed to refund my delivery costs. Finally got the delivery today and they've only gone and sent me 2 instead of 1. The invoice says it's for 1 unit so thank you very much Argos.

You lucky so and so  :)

If you wanna off load that extra helmet I'll be interested  ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've only seen this helmet like 1 time since it was released and I passed on it thinking I'd wait until the price lowered or the reviews were out. Kind of regretted that decision since the reviews sucked the helmet has been flying off the shelves regardless cause it's a cool looking helmet on the outside.

I did some major hunting for it today going to 4 places that all stated they had it available but when I went to pick it up they were completely gone. I drove 2 hours to get the damn thing and finally home. It's going right to the shelve for my collection.

• Like 1

I've only seen this helmet like 1 time since it was released and I passed on it thinking I'd wait until the price lowered or the reviews were out. Kind of regretted that decision since the reviews sucked the helmet has been flying off the shelves regardless cause it's a cool looking helmet on the outside.

I did some major hunting for it today going to 4 places that all stated they had it available but when I went to pick it up they were completely gone. I drove 2 hours to get the damn thing and finally home. It's going right to the shelve for my collection.

Sucks yo be you..

Helmet does look good though, but with some facial reconstruction, it will look gorgeous...

Can't wait to buy a 3d printer, gonna ask one of my mates (Who models alot of things to a pretty darn accurate finish) for a commission..

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I saw it in the Mall... At First pass I thought it's cool but not yet... At Second pass it's great I need it... At third I thought this helmet is the last one... And the last think I remember is, how I put the bucket on my head at home

Edited by ThePholph

Yesterday I saw it in the Mall... At First pass I thought it's cool but not yet... At Second pass it's great I need it... At third I thought this helmet is the last one... And the last think I remember is, how I put the bucket on my head at home

Didn't like the look at first, the more i looked at it from a far view (3 meters) the more accurate It looks until my eyes finally recognized it as being accurate (to a point).

My cap keeps popping off though, I need to glue it closed...

'I just have to buh another one (I'm a inbox collector, so it bugs me not to have inbox spares)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got one, for twice as much as what many have bought it for in the US. Hasbro does not import it for domestic stores.

I am disappointed with how much is missing from the "undercut" in front of the cheeks. That part is for me much of what gives the Stormtrooper helmet its character - and what makes this toy helmet look like a toy.

Any artisan that would make accurate R1 helmets would have to rectify this detail.

Other inaccuracies I have identified (compared to the screen-used Rogue One helmets) that could be rectified in a proper Rogue One-style sculpt:

- Some tube stripes are wider than others.

- mouth is not made of individual rods

- overall, edges are not sharp enough:

- edge above teeth

- mouth and cheek recesses

- tear recess

Can be fixed without having to repaint:

- middle tooth too wide

- teeth do not look like individual pieces

Other inaccuracies that others have identified and fixed:

- black pinstriping around grey fields like ANH helmet, but which R1 helmet does not have

- brow trim is white on the underside (electrical tape, plastidip or just black paint)

- missing seamline between snout and cheek.

- edge trim in back does not match front

- add frown mesh

- replace lens with one less transparent

Then there are those who want to rotate the angle of buttons on the ears, but I am not sure that it is inaccurate.

The helmet is also uncomfortable for people with large heads, so many remove the electronics compartment in the back completely.

I am still undecided whether I am going to try to sell it or try to accurize it some time in the future.

I had been hoping to be able to mod it without paint - by filling the gaps with ABS sludge made from parts of the helmet itself and polishing that up, but it does not seem to be possible to do to a level that I would be comfortable with. For starters, most of the interior is a different plastic - so it can't be used as a donor. Only the battery pack can be melted.

My painting booth - which is my shower - has been occupied with a clone helmet for a much too long time now and I would like to keep that area clean for a while when it is done...

Edited by Darth Lars