Rustoleum or Krylon Fusion

A Master Builder

Good Evening Troopers.

Painting the TFA TK is coming up in a few weeks and I know we have touched based on Rustoleum. Especially it being the better paint to match the fiberglass helmet. But the question is..How does the paint hold to the plastic for a long period of time? Came across some complaints of the Rustoleum x2 cracking in the plastic as well a bad glossy finish.Not sure troopers are not putting enough paint on the armor or just a bad can. I've heard Krylon dries a lot faster than rustoleum, but it doesn't have that much gloss as rustoleum has.

It is a tough decision.

what would you go for? Rustoleum or Krylon Fusion.

Would you recommend a clear coat?

I have been researching these paints....

-Rustoleum x2 Gloss White 

-Rustoleum Universal Gloss White

-Rustoleum Automotive Gloss White

-Krylon Fusion Gloss White

-Krylon Max Gloss White

Hope this helps others troopers that are trying to find the best solution.

(Note. Not getting professionally painted, don't have the funds)

Primer. Primer primer, and more primer. Can't stress enough how important putting primer on first is, especially with plastic. Half the reason some people have problems with their paint is either because they don't put primer on, or they put on the wrong primer/paint, OR because they did not prepare the surface correctly. 

Edited by dejango

I've used both. I have a set of clone armor on display in my shop. I painted it six years ago with Krylon and it looks the same today as when I first painted it. The FOTK Alpha that I painted with Rustolium is already cracking and yellowing.

It has already been stated that primer is most important. They do make a Krylon Fusion primer, but you might have to get your store to order it for you; I can't seem to find it already in stock. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Wow a necro post lol.

There are plenty that simply wont use Rustoleum because of bad batches, and the fact there are superior paints available. here in Australia, Rustoleum isn't considered a great paint, and I have seen some crappy spray jobs done using it.

Rustoleum has a primer and paint in one as does Krylon paint. this helps with adhesion to your prepared surface.

Regardless of which of these two you chose, I can not stress enough that a prepared surface (filled, well sanded and cleaned before paint application) is the one major thing that will give you the best possible outcome for your finish.

Rustoleum is also a high gloss and Krylon not as shiny when dry.

Bare in mind if you are using Bondo or similar, you will probably need to use a primer or primer filler anyway to make sure your surface will be blemish free for your final coat. refer to my above statement regarding final prep before painting.

Generally these paints are not expensive in the grand scheme of things, and experimentation is always something to ensure you are ultimately happy with the finish.

No pressure pack spray can is going to give you the perfect result or type of result you can get from an Auto shop paint job, but it is also the cheaper way to go when it comes to painting armour.

I hope this helps at least a little :)

• Like 1