Real Sterling measurements

kwakermad

Hoping someone with a real sterling can help me. I am after several measurements, in mm.<br><br>

I would like the wall thicknesses of the mag housing, the pistol grip substructure and the trigger housing sides. Also the width of the assembled trigger housing.

Hey there Bob, 

There is going to be some variance in measurements from actual Sterlings, due to different versions, models, materials, etc.  However, if you have a look at the E-11 Reference that is linked in my signature below, you will find a good collection of data on the Original Sterlings.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Most of the parts on the sterling were stamped and formed out of sheet metal.  As sheet metal varies depending on the batch from the mill, the thickness of the parts can vary as well.  It would have been made of 16 gauge material (prior to 1965 the UK used the imperial system not metric).  16 gauge material varies from 0.0648" (1.65mm) to 0.0548" (1.39mm).  

I would suspect that they control the inner dimensions on the mag well (so any mag would fit in) and the outer dimensions were dependent on the material thickness..

Edited by Ducati
  • Like 1