Ab to kidney rivets causing cracks in armor

My ab to kidney rivets have cracked my armor, 4 of 6 rivets. Any ideas why this happened? I glued strips of abs to the backs and put some abs paste around the holes to reinforce the areas. Any suggestions to improve upon what I have done?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What type of armor do you have and which rivets did you use? Photos would be helpful to diagnose the problem.

MTK armor and the rivets came from trooperbay.496b05229c2028d136b1b0c99191ad43.jpg

The picture didn't come out well, couldn't get the camera to focus. But they pretty much shattered around the holes.

Did you use washers behind the rivets?

Excellent point. Mark.  That is one of the things I was wondering as well.  It may just be me, or the lighting, but they (the rivets) seem awfully small and look like they have very rounded heads.  If you need replacement rivets and/or washers, Sean, just PM me and I'll send you a set, no charge.

• Like 1

Way to go Joseph! Troopers helping Troopers! Seems like your putting a lot of stress on those rivets. Are you doing something like bending or worse trying to sit? If they connect the kidney to Abs maybe use some kind of hidden connection to help with pressure on the pieces.

Could you post close-up photos of the back side and and rivets themselves?

2c262c99087fb0f43ec7b92bfcab7b1b.jpg

This is a picture from when I put all the rivets in before I completed the build.

Excellent point. Mark. That is one of the things I was wondering as well. It may just be me, or the lighting, but they (the rivets) seem awfully small and look like they have very rounded heads. If you need replacement rivets and/or washers, Sean, just PM me and I'll send you a set, no charge.

Thank you Joseph, but I think I have some left over. I bought an extra set from trooperbay before I started the build.

I think I know what they problem is - it looks like you have used webbing instead of elastic to connect the parts together. There is absolutely no give in webbing and it will put excessive stress on the rivets just wearing the armour - nevermind donning and doffing the armour. I cannot stress the importance of using elastic everywhere on armour for your strapping. Webbing is bad. Do not use it!

• Like 2

I think I know what they problem is - it looks like you have used webbing instead of elastic to connect the parts together. There is absolutely no give in webbing and it will put excessive stress on the rivets just wearing the armour - nevermind donning and doffing the armour. I cannot stress the importance of using elastic everywhere on armour for your strapping. Webbing is bad. Do not use it!

Just what I was thinking!

Thank you. I have plenty of extra elastic and now that you have said this, I will replace the webbing with the elastic.

Here is where I'm at with the repair of the rivet holes. You can see the top hole for the kidney was the most damaged. I'm still very much a novice and my abs paste isn't the best.

8713dcfc6a486484c398f8f176d187e7.jpg217679fb2993c37e82a9ed116c41e8d3.jpg