Questions about Tools and Accessories

Starkill20

Hey everyone, I'm nearing the point where I can order my ROTJ armor kit, so I'm in the process of gathering the materials and accessories needed for a complete armor set.

First I have some questions regarding tools. Where did most of you guys purchase a snap setting tool? I saw a wide variety of them online and wasn't exactly certain which one had the basic necessities. And on the rivets, do they need to be a specific type of material? I see they need to be 8mm round head splits, but I saw some in plastic and metal and wasn't sure which one would be best. Where would be a good place to find foam padding for the helmet and armor? Does the wire mesh for the helmet need to be a specific type of material and does it need to have certain specifications regarding the spacing of the wires? Also for a new builder like me, would acetone even be useful to me?

Now I have some questions regarding accessories.

For the under-suits, I noticed the eastbay.com seemed to have the best prices for a 2 piece suit, but the bottoms have grey stitching down the seams. Is there a way to dye those black? Or would I be better off getting it somewhere else?

That's all the questions I have for now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rudimentary snap setting tools often come with snap sets. I got my line 24 snap from Tandy with a tool and the popper snaps I bought at a local fabric store also came with a tool, or rather tools as it's four different tools.

Pop rivets used are typically aluminum. The split rivets I got were aluminum. Foam is available many places from Amazon to Grainger to JoAnne's Fabrics. The mesh is window screen from the hardware store. And yeah, a little acetone is worthwhile. You will inevitably mis-drill a hole and ABS paste fixes it right up. 

Edited by Addertime

Hey Michael! Welcome to the FISD. Just an FYI don't get the acetone on your armor. Don't try to clean with it or remove paint with it. Your armor will take a beating. Good luck!