Cricket's RS Stunt Build (for the Vertically Challenged)

Cricket

• 3 weeks later...

I had a major test of my holster last weekend while at a Night at the Museum troop.  Hundreds of kids at the event, and I had to sign autographs.  This wouldn't be a problem for those sans blaster, but as some of you who've followed me know, I love to carry my blaster while trooping.  And since I don't have a third arm, I knew that the troop might be a challenge.

Turns out, everything went perfectly!  I was able to holster and unholster my blaster quickly, easily, and frequently during the troop.  I'm left handed, and I hold my blaster in my left hand, so being able to pose for pics with the blaster, then quickly put away the blaster for an autograph was awesome.  

36581642946_ae373ea518.jpg

A product that has also helped me with this is a spray holster lubricant.  It really makes a difference with ease of blaster holstering/removal!  Oh, and the 8oz leather holster is a huge improvement over the 4oz leather holster.  For those of you who are on the fence about which type of holster to choose, spend the few extra bucks and get the 8oz holster.

I've got a handguard question!  I have rubber gloves with the flexible handguards that are painted white.  After 6 troops now, I'm noticing that the handguards are peeling quite a bit near the wrists due to the forearm armor rubbing against it (which was expected).  I want to repair the handguard paint, but the paint I use (Speedball screen printing ink) requires that I put things into the oven to bake the paint for several minutes.  Does anyone know if the rubber gloves can withstand a 275 degree oven for 8 minutes?  Or should I spot cure the paint with a heat gun?  Or should I just remove the handguards entirely, bake 'em, and put them on a new pair of rubber gloves?  

I would say now that you have your approval is ditch the rubber gloves for trooping and get either a pair of black nomex flight gloves or you can do what I did and bought a pair of "Gorilla Grip" gloves from home depot (about $5) and affix your repaired hand guards to those. They are much more comfortable while trooping. Accuracy is awesome but comfort wins out for me every time. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Jim!  

I actually prefer trooping with the rubber gloves over the Nomex gloves, regardless of accuracy.  I wear silk liners with them, and they are incredibly comfortable.  I've trooped in 90+ degree temps with 80% humidity for 2+ hours at a time (life in the South, gotta love it...), and I've never had issues with them.  So for me, ditching the rubber gloves isn't an option I'd like to consider at this point. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Jim!  

I actually prefer trooping with the rubber gloves over the Nomex gloves, regardless of accuracy.  I wear silk liners with them, and they are incredibly comfortable.  I've trooped in 90+ degree temps with 80% humidity for 2+ hours at a time (life in the South, gotta love it...), and I've never had issues with them.  So for me, ditching the rubber gloves isn't an option I'd like to consider at this point.  

I guess my aversion to rubber gloves is a call back to spending 8+ hours in full chemical protective gear multiple times during my 22+ years in the Army. If they work for you, awesome!

I'd suggest removing the hand guards from the gloves and fix them and put them on a new set.....OR don't fix them at all, after all if you look at the hand guards used in ANH they are all kinds of cracked and peeling. The natural weathering process you have going on is only making everything more screen accurate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A short video (no pun intended) from a children's hospital troop from a few weeks ago to show you other things that short troopers can do...  we still can't hit anything with any degree of accuracy, just like the bigger troopers!   But we can bounce Death Star-like balls, so at least we've got that going for us, which is nice. (click on the image to get to the video)

st-playing-ball-hd

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

While reading though a build thread may be helpful to most, I thought it might be equally helpful to share a little illustration I made showing approximately where I cut my kit to fit my 5'4", 110lb. frame.  The red lines are roughly where I made the trims.  These lines show reductions in the kit size for height, not necessarily width (I made many cuts for width as well, but those cuts were typical for fitting a TK of any height).  Cutting in these areas will still keep your TK within Centurion guidelines.  Remember to always trim less than you think you'll need to, and try the pieces on frequently as you go to ensure a good fit. :)

36513037144_a15e435583_b.jpg

Edited by Cricket
updated image
  • Like 5

Hi Christine, leather does stretch about 30% over time, this can be accelerated by wetting the leather as previously said and letting it dry with the blaster and some padding holstered. Also you can treat the leather with those wipes you can get for leather car upholstery, this will keep it nice and supple without it going hard. I use this method on my motorcycle leathers when new to get them to fit me better....

Glad you got to holster the blaster :)

The above diagram is helpful.... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

That moment when you see yourself as a Stormtrooper and say to yourself, "OMG!  That's me!" (That's me on the far right in my RS Props kit.)  I don't really look all that short out there, do I?   This is currently on the Atlanta Braves website, promoting Star Wars night at the Stadium for May 4, 2018.  

40319679755_b6549afc68_b.jpg

The photo was taken at last year's Star Wars night, which happened to be my very first big troop.  I was excited, nervous, and proud to represent the Empire!  And here is what they told us just before we went out on the field...

27342503728_380bd37905_b.jpg

I had no idea that they expected us to levitate across the field. #troopergoals

This will be my last update to this particular thread since I'm not building on it anymore (I'm over working on my WTF Hero Build right now, so I'm still around!).  This kit is destined to become a Sandy in a few months.  Building my RS Props TK was a great experience for me, and I really hope that I've helped other vertically challenged individuals along the way.   

Long live the FISD and long live the Empire!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:24 PM, Cricket said:

This kit is destined to become a Sandy in a few months.  Building my RS Props TK was a great experience for me, and I really hope that I've helped other vertically challenged individuals along the way.   

I said it would be converted in a few months.  Well, other projects got in the way, and life, too...  so it actually took a little over 2 years to complete, but this kit is now officially a Sandtrooper!
50367844211_765a7e6f90_h.jpg50367844146_143e82e616_b.jpg
50367844251_0684332926_b.jpg50367844111_279ede8097_b.jpg

Time to go find some droids!  :R2D2:

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 8

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, fragarock said:

Wait, is this your original RS kit?

Yep!  I have another RS Hero, though.  Always gotta keep a shiny white on hand!  :) 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Christine, I can’t thank you enough for posting this.  I received a full commission ANH TK from RS about 2 1/2 months ago.  It will require quite a bit of tweaking and trimming to get it just right.  I’m a little short for a stormtrooper as well, about your height at 5’4” so this post and all the other input from the great folks here is much appreciated as I begin the alterations.

Wish me luck...I am one with the Force, The Force is with me...

• Like 2