Vac table and RECASTING?

Hi there!<br><br>

So.. Me and my friend want to have 2 stormtrooper helmets so we decided to buy an anovos helmet kit and make a vac table, forming another one. I dont know if making a copy like this is "bad" what are your opinions?<br>

And can we form plastic objects on a vac table, won't they stick together?

Tolo is correct, the only way to have a legitimate recast would be to obtain full permission from the maker you wish to copy off, but it is still called a recast. I can't see Anovos giving anyone permission to copy their product considering the expense they went to obtaining an official licence from Disney LFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Vacuum forming over a plastic helmet is probably the worst idea I ever read in a while. First the heat will off course damage your "master". Second if you don't fill the inside of your "master", the vaccum will make it collapse on itself. Third, details will be very poor.

And of course, it will still be recast.

• Like 1

Apart from it being a questionable action, you will spend more on a good vac table and the material to recast the helmet and then form it than buying another (or a kit from a vendor on here).

• Like 2

I understand that it may be tough to obtain a kit in Hungary. These kits are expensive but it's not worth the time and energy that it takes to do that for 1 helmet. If you're wanting just another helmet try pepakura. There are a lot of great unfolds out there and it's much cheaper in the long run.

24380031c7cbdfbd2aab94d2d4ac3eba.jpg

Here's the one I've been working on, well, was working on, until my ABS kit showed up from Walt. It's not perfect but 99.9% of people that look at it wouldn't know the difference, if you're just looking for a display piece or non-501st costuming. Also it will give you an excellent idea of the lines and forms of how this helmet was designed. From there, if you are still motivated to push forward, you could then develop your own "fan sculpt" and pull your own helmets all day long! Instead of hate and discontent, people will appreciate your hard work and dedication to the hobby. If you and your friend are talented enough to pull off a vac table, I'm sure you could make a decent sculpt!

Please keep in mind, for you, the cost is not only in money for you. You have also painted a target on yourself. If, for some reason, you still go forward with this plan and are successful, people will be watching and scrutinizing you as a potential recaster.

Be careful friend. Recasting is highly frowned upon here and will quickly earn you a bad reputation that you may not deserve. I'd hate to see that happen.

There are a ton of resources here and on other sites too! TONS of people will help you get your sculpts right if you post a WIP (work in progress thread) here. You'll also have people lining up to purchase them from you if you get it right and put out a quality product.

Best of luck and make good choices!

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1