TK Talkie DIY Comm Effects

Yep! I have been watching that thread for some time and seen all the back and forth there. His set up is amazing but just a bit out of my price range, currently.

I really like this set up because it's fully customizable and I really like doing/learning new stuff on my own (with help). It really adds to the overall satisfaction for me.

My wife on the other hand......Last night I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop, with my bucket on, fans running, fiddling with the settings to get it to sound "just right". Constantly going, "How does this sound? TEST! TEST! How 'bout now?!? These aren't the Droid's we're looking for. That better??"

That went on for like an hour and a half before she says, "Okay, time to put away your toys honey."

Jim - TK50899

• Like 4

Same thing goes on in my house. Took me a while to get all the parts and after waiting 6 months with no reply from Echo, ukswrath releases his own mount and I was able to finish. It wasn't hard putting it all together so this project seems pretty fun. 

• Like 1

Very awesome project you have here. Kind of hard to tell from your video on page 1 but does this change the sound of your voice or just add the radio static sound? I am looking at an alternative to my iCOMM as it takes up a lot of space in my helmet but not ready to throw down a lot of money on a ROMFX card. 

It does not do any pitch shifting (yet.)  But you can dial-in your sound via the software equalizer.  It also employs a couple of bitcrushers (which you can also customize) to help distort the voice a bit.

• Like 1

I think you've got me sold. Sounds like an awesome Winter project. Just gotta figure out how to wire it in my current ukswrath setup. The iComm has it's own battery so I may have to treat this more like a ROMFX and put a voltage regulator in. 

Just be sure to give it 5V.  The Teensy has a built-in regulator that supplies the 3.3V needed by the audio shield.

• Like 1

...it takes up a lot of space in my helmet but not ready to throw down a lot of money on a ROMFX card. 

The case I have designed is 66mm wide X 39mm deep X 18.5mm tall.  Trying to keep it as compact as possible...the hard part is leaving room to easily take the board in and out and then making room for connections (in/out jacks.)  I have a few successful prints and if I can get the final tweaks printed today I'll try to post the .stl file by tomorrow.

• Like 1

V2 Case

Woot!  I have the V2 case designed and printed and everything fits great!  If you want to print your own, you can grab the .stl file from the website.  I've had a few requests for printed cases, so let me know if you are interested.

Note:  Again, I didn't sand or file or put any finishing touches on the print in the pics...just wanted to test the fit ASAP! 

20160831_140842_zpsukttwjlz.jpg

20160831_140919_zpsxwjybrbo.jpg

20160831_141024_zpsq9obzfbg.jpg

20160831_141034_zps6syljxya.jpg

• Like 2

Well since you have a ROMFX, I'd like to see read your opinion. I know that the ROMFX is better than the iCOMM and seeing how this allows more options it may be a good replacement without breaking the bank and pissing off the wife lol

• Like 1

Well since you have a ROMFX, I'd like to see read your opinion. I know that the ROMFX is better than the iCOMM and seeing how this allows more options it may be a good replacement without breaking the bank and pissing off the wife lol

Roger that!

V2 Case

Woot!  I have the V2 case designed and printed and everything fits great!  If you want to print your own, you can grab the .stl file from the website.  I've had a few requests for printed cases, so let me know if you are interested.

Interested in a case if you do a run. LMK, I don't have the energy to hunt down a local printer and haggle prices with them right now. 

Ok! Hovi-tips speakers and AMP2 arrived today from ukswrath and they're certainly spiffy. The TK Talkie sounds WAY better coming out of his setup than my chest mount speaker/amp. 

Sadly, I can't crank the volume up very high without a ton of feedback. Maybe time to try adding some foam between the mic and the speakers. 

Also of note, do not try to use the Mimo PowerTube battery pack with this. It seems the Teensy doesn't draw enough power for the battery to realize something is attached. The Mimo works fine for my cell phone, but powers itself off after about 30 seconds when connected to the Teensy. Bummer, it was all cute and Stormtroopery. A better battery pack has been ordered. 

More updates to come.

Cool I was wondering how this sounds out the hovi speakers. If you could upload a video that would be even better.

As soon as I get a handle on the feedback issue I'll be sure to do that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As soon as I get a handle on the feedback issue I'll be sure to do that.

Are you increasing volume using the software mixer or via the onboard volume pot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Volume pot and AMP2 volume knob.

Ah...yep that's prob a lot of gain...maybe try setting the mixer input to 1 for the mic in the software (below 1 attenuates the sound, above 1 adds gain, so this is base level) and turning the thumb volume to 2 or 3, then you could use the AMP2 as primary volume control without having a really hot signal. I am not familiar with the AMP2, though. Just remember the teensy is already already amplifying the signal, so amplifying an amplifed signal is feedback heaven (or hell...lol)

Heck you might even try just plugging the hovi's directly into the teensy if possible (you may need to turn up the audio shield volume in the software and use the thumb vol to dial it in, though.)

Ah...yep that's prob a lot of gain...maybe try setting the mixer input to 1 for the mic in the software (below 1 attenuates the sound, above 1 adds gain, so this is base level) and turning the thumb volume to 2 or 3, then you could use the AMP2 as primary volume control without having a really hot signal. I am not familiar with the AMP2, though. Just remember the teensy is already already amplifying the signal, so amplifying an amplifed signal is feedback heaven (or hell...lol)

Heck you might even try just plugging the hovi's directly into the teensy if possible (you may need to turn up the audio shield volume in the software and use the thumb vol to dial it in, though.)

Are you talking about here:?

// stereo input channels...just a little gain 
  // for the MIC or LINE-IN inputs...adjust as needed.
  mixer1.gain(0, 1);
  mixer1.gain(1, 1);

Either way, with just the TK Talkie, or with the AMP2 I seem to get the same volume level before the feedback starts.
The TK Talkie by itself I can't turn the know up to about 3/4 before it seems to hit a limit and cuts out.

Are you talking about here:?

// stereo input channels...just a little gain

// for the MIC or LINE-IN inputs...adjust as needed.

mixer1.gain(0, 1);

mixer1.gain(1, 1);

Either way, with just the TK Talkie, or with the AMP2 I seem to get the same volume level before the feedback starts.

The TK Talkie by itself I can't turn the know up to about 3/4 before it seems to hit a limit and cuts out.

Yes that's it. There's also the mic gain. The idea is to let one thing control the volume....just give it a decent signal. I'm using the settings in the default sketch and I just have to barely crank the aker to get decent volume.

When you go above 7 on the teensy it tends to start distorting. What are the speakers in the hovi's rated at? Does it cut out at 3/4 with another speaker or headphones?

Yes that's it. There's also the mic gain. The idea is to let one thing control the volume....just give it a decent signal. I'm using the settings in the default sketch and I just have to barely crank the aker to get decent volume.

When you go above 7 on the teensy it tends to start distorting. What are the speakers in the hovi's rated at? Does it cut out at 3/4 with another speaker or headphones?

The hovi speakers sound great with loud volume using the AMP2 as long as the mic stays out of the helmet. But the feedback starts as soon as I put the helmet on and the mic gets where it needs to be, which is of course right behind the speakers.

The TK talkie alone doesn't produce much louder than normal speaking volume through the hovis without the amp and has the same feedback either way once it gets close to the volume levels needed.

Could be the mic. Am going to try adding some insulation behind the speakers and maybe a different mic.

But tomorrow. My wife has had enough of feedback for the day.

My friend had a lot of feedback with his IComm and wireless mic...He wrapped his IComm with aluminum foil and the feedback stopped. Wonder if the teensy is not shielded from RF frequencies as well?

• Like 1