TK Talkie DIY Comm Effects

I just finished soldering and testing everything and its working GREAT !!! I have 2 questions:

1- How do I setup the minimum time the Teensie waits before turning the mic channel on ? I will start talking and it takes about half a second to turn on the speaker, so my first word comes from my helmet, not my aker.

2- I don't understand how to properly wire the PTT. you are talking about pin 0,1 or 2. Do I choose any of these 3 pins for one wire and where do I take my voltage from ? Would you have a quick sketch ?

Thanks again

Pat

I just finished soldering and testing everything and its working GREAT !!! I have 2 questions:

1- How do I setup the minimum time the Teensie waits before turning the mic channel on ? I will start talking and it takes about half a second to turn on the speaker, so my first word comes from my helmet, not my aker.

2- I don't understand how to properly wire the PTT. you are talking about pin 0,1 or 2. Do I choose any of these 3 pins for one wire and where do I take my voltage from ? Would you have a quick sketch ?

Thanks again

Pat

1. You'll prob need to adjust the trigger level for you mic. There is a Sep 2 post on this thread that explains a good way to determine that. On my Tapatalk app it's post #86 on page 9.

2. Your voltage is from one of the pins you select (just be sure your sketch has whichever pin you select set correctly to match.) Then connect the other wire to the ground circuit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Edited by lerxstrulz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I FINALLY got my suit ready for submission, and of course for Halloween, and have been putting TKTalkie through its paces.  I got HORRIBLE feedback when I put the helmet on, and played with different settings (Aker volume, TKTalkie volume, mixer gains, etc.) and finally realized the default mic gain is way too high at 36.  The signal is really hot.  I set it to 15 and am able to crank the Aker and get really good volume now without any feedback.  It's nice and loud  :peace:

Changing the mic gain also means tweaking the trigger settings a tad.  I had to lower my min threshold by .01 because with reduced mic gain the amplitude is less so it would trigger the clicks too early, but it's working really well now as well.

So, if you are having feedback issues, first place to look is the mic gain setting.  And if you adjust the mic gain, remember to recalibrate the trigger settings  :smiley-sw013:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

afa245f3731a2f84bf1fe3a8acedb1d0.jpg

Hey guys! Ever since I made the first TK Talkie I have been wanting to add the ability to have pitch modulation so that the voice could be lowered.

The other day I was ordering the Velleman MK136 on Amazon.com to make a hearing assist for my bucket and came across the Velleman MK171 Voice Changer! And guess what? It works GREAT!

I don't have a video yet but it lowers my voice enough to really make it sound cool. Of course there are a few caveats:

1. It comes as a kit...you have to solder all the parts on the board.

2. It's approx 3 x 2 inches, so it takes up more room. Also, it runs off of a 9 volt, so another power supply...

3. It has buttons to raise and lower pitch (you can get some great Darth Vader sounds lol) BUT it also has "Robot Voice" and Vibrato. Whenever you turn it on it starts in Robot Voice mode so you have to change it.

ALSO, and very important, the Teensy sketch has to be modified to NOT use white noise or bit crushing. My plan is to release a new sketch for use with the MK171...or if you go this route just disable the bit crushers and noise generator.

The new Teensy 3.5 and 3.6 are out but still do not have the pitch shifting yet, so in the mean time this is a great and simple alternative!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So I FINALLY got my suit ready for submission, and of course for Halloween, and have been putting TKTalkie through its paces.  I got HORRIBLE feedback when I put the helmet on, and played with different settings (Aker volume, TKTalkie volume, mixer gains, etc.) and finally realized the default mic gain is way too high at 36.  The signal is really hot.  I set it to 15 and am able to crank the Aker and get really good volume now without any feedback.  It's nice and loud  :peace:

Changing the mic gain also means tweaking the trigger settings a tad.  I had to lower my min threshold by .01 because with reduced mic gain the amplitude is less so it would trigger the clicks too early, but it's working really well now as well.

So, if you are having feedback issues, first place to look is the mic gain setting.  And if you adjust the mic gain, remember to recalibrate the trigger settings  :smiley-sw013:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

This works very well for anyone struggling. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Version 2.0 of the sofware has been released!  I started a new thread for this release, but improvements include:

• Text config file
  • Live-edit settings via the serial interface...real-time testing and tweaking!
  • Background (chatter) loop support.
  • Calibration wizard to help set voice activation settings.

Visit tktalkie.com for details!  I also posted an upgrade tutorial to go from Version 1 to Version of the software.

I wanted a way to be able to use TKTalkie in different scenarios (I've also been working on a Mando costume and wanted a different sounding voice for that.)  I also wanted a way to be able to use the voice changer module (until it's part of the Teensy library!) without having to recompile the software after a settings change.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...