TK Talkie DIY Comm Effects

My friend had a lot of feedback with his IComm and wireless mic...He wrapped his IComm with aluminum foil and the feedback stopped. Wonder if the teensy is not shielded from RF frequencies as well?

Interesting. I'm not sure that applies to me (yet) as during all this testing the Teensy is still sitting outside the helmet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are you running a wireless mic? The receiver being near the unit might be the problem

Wired. But unsure what type beyond that. The mic very well could be the problem. Guess I should've paid the bit extra for ukswraths.

The hovi speakers sound great with loud volume using the AMP2 as long as the mic stays out of the helmet. But the feedback starts as soon as I put the helmet on and the mic gets where it needs to be, which is of course right behind the speakers.

The TK talkie alone doesn't produce much louder than normal speaking volume through the hovis without the amp and has the same feedback either way once it gets close to the volume levels needed.

Could be the mic. Am going to try adding some insulation behind the speakers and maybe a different mic.

But tomorrow. My wife has had enough of feedback for the day.

Hey Brian, insulating your helmet is the key here. Shoot me a PM so we can work on the issues you may be having.

• Like 1

I was looking for an alternative case for the PCB and given the specs I think this may come pretty close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231467383590

The audio shield is roughly 36mm x 37mm. Those say they are 35mm I think the boards together are 17mm tall...will have to double check tonight. I designed the case to be as compact as possible and still fit everything. I think I have the depth and height as low as they can go...I chose to go wider to fit the jacks and keep the height down so that it could fit in the helmet or chestplate nicely. I would be interested to see if those would work, though. The smaller the better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I need to adjust the mic sensitivity a bit. While the fans ARE installed, they are not running in the video. Once I turn them on the noise keeps the channel open and no pops and clicks. I'm also looking into an adjustment knob to dial the fans down a bit. They're blasting pretty hard.

• Like 1

I need to adjust the mic sensitivity a bit. While the fans ARE installed, they are not running in the video. Once I turn them on the noise keeps the channel open and no pops and clicks. I'm also looking into an adjustment knob to dial the fans down a bit. They're blasting pretty hard.

So a good way to check what your minimum noise level is while you are not talking and fans are on inside the helmet is hook the board up to the computer and fire up arduino/teensyduino.  Add the following line at the beginning of the loop:

float val = rms1.read();
Serial.println(val);

Of course enable the Serial.begin line in the setup function :)

Then just open the serial monitor and see what kind of numbers you are getting. They will be rolling by pretty fast but should give you an idea. Then just set your VOL_THRESHOLD_TRIGGER value a couple points above that and adjust as needed.

For example, if you are getting .05 from the fans, set your trigger to .07 and go from there. You will also need to set the VOL_THRESHOLD_MIN close to whatever volume you are getting from the fans as this is your "silent/not talking" baseline.

• Like 2

Everything is fine tuned and working like a champ. Added padding per ukswrath, adjusted mic sensitivity per lerxstrulz, added pots for fan control, added individual switches to power each fan, fans converted to usb power on the old power pack instead of the AA battery pack, and the new usb battery arrived to power the TK Talkie... WHEW! Do I have a lot of wires to clean up!

Thanks all. This has been great!

• Like 3

Everything is fine tuned and working like a champ. Added padding per ukswrath, adjusted mic sensitivity per lerxstrulz, added pots for fan control, added individual switches to power each fan, fans converted to usb power on the old power pack instead of the AA battery pack, and the new usb battery arrived to power the TK Talkie... WHEW! Do I have a lot of wires to clean up!

Pictures pictures !! We want pictures !!

• Like 1

Affirmative we have a woot *click*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures pictures !! We want pictures !!

I've been updating my build thread frequently. But here is a front and back view of the completed setup: 

2016-09-21%2009.29.55.jpg

2016-09-21%2009.30.21.jpg

And a final video: 

https://www.facebook.com/darkpain714/videos/10154517249274787/

Edited by Darkpain714
  • Like 1

I've been updating my build thread frequently. But here is a front and back view of the completed setup:

2016-09-21%2009.29.55.jpg

2016-09-21%2009.30.21.jpg

And a final video:

https://www.facebook.com/darkpain714/videos/10154517249274787/

That looks great! Where is your build thread?

That looks great! Where is your build thread?

Here it is: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37743-darkpains-anh-stunt-build-anovos-first-build/?p=502686

• Like 1

Can someone post the part lists? The tutorial website appears to have a bunch of SQL errors. 

Edit: If you get the board with the pins pre soldered do you still need the socket and header? 1 of each? 

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Can someone post the part lists? The tutorial website appears to have a bunch of SQL errors.

Edit: If you get the board with the pins pre soldered do you still need the socket and header? 1 of each?

The tutorial website appears to be running ok.