TK Talkie DIY Comm Effects

VERSION 3 NOW AVAILABLE!

Hey guys, I built a relatively inexpensive and easy voice effects box (random static bursts and comm clicks) and thought I would share it here.  It's based of a Teensy 3.2 and an Audio Adaptor for the Teensy.  The source code is on my Github site and there is a tutorial on my website, but I will be happy to post it here if anyone wants.

Quick overview:

• Customizable sounds (stored on SD card)
  • Voice activated (but you could add PTT pretty easily)
  • Fully customizable

Source Code:  http://www.github.com/becauseinterwebs/tktalkie

Tutorial:  http://www.becauseinterwebs.com/tk-talkie-custom-stormtrooper-voice-effects/

20160806_1934391-300x225.jpg20160806_202035-300x225.jpg20160806_183911-300x225.jpg

Version 2.2 Released!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39692-tktalkie-v20-released/page-3

Edited by lerxstrulz
  • Like 4

The electronics and components were around 35.00. The enclosure is actually a headphones case that came with my mobile phone.

That doesn't include the Aker ot wireless mic I'm using.

Edited by lerxstrulz
  • Like 1

So I picked up the components and I've seemingly run into a snag. Doesn't appear the audio shield is registering it all. Is there a forum somewhere I could get some help?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sounds good! Lots of good options for troopers now at all prices and skill levels.

I'll have to find some time to route around the code in this, I was thinking of going arduino before I started my IOS app.

• Like 1

So I picked up the components and I've seemingly run into a snag. Doesn't appear the audio shield is registering it all. Is there a forum somewhere I could get some help?

This happened when I first connected them.  Turned out I had a weak solder spot.  Double check all your solder spots and make sure there is good coverage.  Also make sure there is no overspill of solder that could lead to a connection shorting out.  Finally, make sure that your audio board is properly seated on the Teensy.  It has to go on a certain way with pins matching.

• Like 1

This happened when I first connected them.  Turned out I had a weak solder spot.  Double check all your solder spots and make sure there is good coverage.  Also make sure there is no overspill of solder that could lead to a connection shorting out.  Finally, make sure that your audio board is properly seated on the Teensy.  It has to go on a certain way with pins matching.

Gotcha. I'm 100% positive I have the pins aligned correctly. The numbering (plus your tutorial) is super clear. But my solder, even with the easy pin headers could be the problem. I'm re-doing that now. Will let you know. Thanks!

Sounds good! Lots of good options for troopers now at all prices and skill levels.

I'll have to find some time to route around the code in this, I was thinking of going arduino before I started my IOS app.

I was originally going to write an Android app myself lol.  I may still do that one day (when I get better at writing native apps...) I've been using platforms like Corona and Cordova which don't really give you the tools you need to do this right. I know Corona has some sound processing but the iOS support is better than the Android support and to get the effect there would be a lag.  Cordova has some sound libraries but they are not really meant for real-time processing.

But I LOVE the arduino/teensy stuff.  For my mando build I made an RF-based transmitter/receiver to make the aiming stalk move up and down.  The transmitter is in my guantlet.  I built in a secret/key between the transmitter and receiver to prevent false signals from setting it off.  I've seen in cons where several guys were standing around and one of them hits their transmitter and all of their stalks move lol...in that case they were all from the same vendor.

• Like 2

The teensy forum is at https://forum.pjrc.com/

There is a section for the audio projects.

I was originally going to write an Android app myself lol. I may still do that one day (when I get better at writing native apps...) I've been using platforms like Corona and Cordova which don't really give you the tools you need to do this right. I know Corona has some sound processing but the iOS support is better than the Android support and to get the effect there would be a lag. Cordova has some sound libraries but they are not really meant for real-time processing.

But I LOVE the arduino/teensy stuff. For my mando build I made an RF-based transmitter/receiver to make the aiming stalk move up and down. The transmitter is in my guantlet. I built in a secret/key between the transmitter and receiver to prevent false signals from setting it off. I've seen in cons where several guys were standing around and one of them hits their transmitter and all of their stalks move lol...in that case they were all from the same vendor.

From what I've heard, and do not take this as gospel at all, Android is awful for real time audio. The code behind my IOS app is actually pretty simple thanks mainly to an incredible audio library called audiokit, though my app is a corner case for them so I've found a few bugs along the way.

Arduino is something I really want to do more of but I need a project for it. Though I just helped a friend with some code for a new Ghostbusters Proton pack light kit they're developing.

From what I've heard, and do not take this as gospel at all, Android is awful for real time audio. The code behind my IOS app is actually pretty simple thanks mainly to an incredible audio library called audiokit, though my app is a corner case for them so I've found a few bugs along the way.

Arduino is something I really want to do more of but I need a project for it. Though I just helped a friend with some code for a new Ghostbusters Proton pack light kit they're developing.

Check out the Teensy Prop shield...made specifically for cosplay:  http://pjrc.com/store/prop_shield.html

• Like 1

You were totally right. I went too light on the solder. Built up my confidence, remembered my training from 20 years ago, and did it right. Now we're in business!

My master plan: Have one set of complete electronics to swap between TK and BH. Now to find some great bitcrusher settings that sound more... Mando-like. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

My master plan: Have one set of complete electronics to swap between TK and BH. Now to find some great bitcrusher settings that sound more... Mando-like. Thanks so much!

Just a thought...put a config file on the sd card and read it at startup that has settings for the processing utils and apply those when it initializes. That way all you have to do is swap out cards to get different voice effects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

UPDATE:  Built a 3D model for a custom enclosure for this project.  Will be printing it tomorrow and I'm sure there will be some tweaking needed :)  Once I'm happy with it I'll post up the .STL file.  I also made a website for this project where I'll keep everything organized in one place:  www.tktalkie.com

• Like 6

Got my Teensy and sound board programmed yesterday. It seems to work......now if only my microphone and amp would show up so I can be sure! Thanks for the awesome tutorial and resources. This really put an audio system in reach for me plus I love leaning new things and expanding my knowledge.

Jim - TK50899

Got my Teensy and sound board programmed yesterday. It seems to work......now if only my microphone and amp would show up so I can be sure! Thanks for the awesome tutorial and resources. This really put an audio system in reach for me plus I love leaning new things and expanding my knowledge.

Jim - TK50899

My pleasure!

I printed the enclosure I designed today and...well...back to the drawing board :)

I was trying to be too concise with the measurements, and the result is you can't put the board in the box because there is no room to wedge it in there.  Sigh...I did not allow for extra space to actually put the board in the box lol...

Also, I purchased another Teensy setup (this time with the pre-pinned board) and the Audio Shield is not even the same size as the one I purchased previously (it's pretty close, but not exact) so I'll have to allow for tolerances in the size of the board when redesigning the enclosure, which also means more room in the enclosure to get the board in.  My goal is to make it as compact as possible, yet allow access to the SD card so you can swap it out as well as the thumbed volume pot (if you attach it.)  Truth be told, with the SD card on the opposite end as the other connections (headphone, micro-USB) this makes it a bit tricky.  I may end up having to make it to were you have to take the lid off to swap out the SD, which I REALLY don't want to do...I have some ideas :)

Plus, to get REALLY exact in 3D printing you have to have a pretty decent printer.  I have access to a Lulzbot Taz at the office and even then getting down to 1mm accuracy is iffy...

Version 2...

ALSO, I noticed the pre-pinned Teensy is soldered differently from the way I did it (the pins are on the other side of the board.)  I'm calling this new version "Version 2" (and the original Version 1) and working on a new tutorial and have updated the original tutorial.  The new tutorial is on my website here.

I am in the process of redesigning an enclosure for Version 1 and once that is done I'll design a box for Version 2.  Here are some reference pics to note the differences in the setup.  the main difference is in the height of the stack...Version 1 is approximately 20mm tall and Version 2 is around 7.5mm!  Awesome! Also, the USB connection is in a different position due to the board being oriented differently.

20160819_184203_zpswsvbepap.jpg

20160819_182702_zpsnsuf9w8x.jpg

Edited by lerxstrulz

FWIW, I'd be leery of making tolerances too tight. In my limited experience, one thing I've definitely seen is that boards go through revisions all the time, and the "X" board you bought from company "Y" two months ago but end up being revised, and the "X v.1.1" board has a different shape with different components.