TK Boots on the Cheap

This boot tutorial is from my armor build thread. I thought it was worth posting elsewhere as it is a good, stand alone chapter.

I hate waiting for things to ship.

I'm usually more than willing to pay more to have it right now. I considered TK Boots and the other options but the pay now, ship whenever business model is not how I roll. So I started looking at the more prop-centric method of buying regular boots and painting them. That's what they did for the screen-used boots and having built for theatre, it was really an easy leap for me to go that rout.

I searched online and found some great, black, calfskin, Busse brand, jodhpur equestrian boots on close-out, priced at a mere $20 USD, Normally they cost about 4x that, I was pretty happy. 

Although I'm quite sure the screen-used boots were spray painted with white enamel from the hardware store, I wanted a little more durability so I opted for Angelus acrylic leather paint. It's great stuff. The trick is to build up thin coats. This paint cost about $6 with the finisher coat.

Following the Angelus directions, I used acetone (well, actually faux-acetone which works just as well) and wiped the finish and much of the black dye from the boots.

---------

Then I masked the soles.

Then I laid down several light coats, allowing each to dry overnight. The shots below show coats two and four. I gave the boots six coats in total.

Before removing the tape, I scored around the tape line with a blade.

And here we have the finished product:

I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I've worn them a few times to try out the paint and they still look great with no cracking or peeling. Even the paint on the elastic looks great. It's flexible and resilient.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 5

Great job and this in now bookmarked. What finish did you opt for with the finisher, Satin or High Gloss?

I went with the satin finish and buffed it lightly with a soft cloth. It turned out glossier than I expected. I'm glad I didn't go with the gloss finish. :)

Nice job!

Of course, the real test of the coating will be how it holds up to plastic scraping across it when you have the armor on over it, but at least you're prepared with more coating for touch-ups. :) And cracked and scraped paint is screen-accurate! :D

Did you apply the Angelus with a brush? I found it went on really nice with a sponge. If you need to dull it down a little, just use some fine steel wool.

Nice job!

Of course, the real test of the coating will be how it holds up to plastic scraping across it when you have the armor on over it, but at least you're prepared with more coating for touch-ups. :) And cracked and scraped paint is screen-accurate! :D

True. I've worn them around the house with the shins on and all is well so far but yeah, scuffs and scrapes will add that true ANH look. :)

• Like 1

Did you apply the Angelus with a brush? I found it went on really nice with a sponge. If you need to dull it down a little, just use some fine steel wool.

I applied it with a 3/4" sable artists brush using a proper smoothing technique. Upon close examination, there are a few visible brush strokes, but they would never be noticed in everyday use. I didn't consider a sponge but that's a great idea as is the steel wool. Thanks for the tips! 

Double WoW  :jc_doublethumbup:  That is a great alternative to the TK boot price point!! Thanks Michael!

I picked them up from a UK-based online store. I picked up two pair, in two different sizes, and don't need the second pair (US 10) so if anyone wants them, PM me. Also, I recommend searching thrift stores. I'll bet similar boots can be had at an even lower price point. :)

Edited by Addertime

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to be nosey, could you post a comparison from before and after use? Thanks

Sure thing. They're nine months old now and have plenty of miles on them but they still look pretty good. I'll post a photo tonight when I get home.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 9:59 PM, The Anonymous Egyptian said:

Sorry to be nosey, could you post a comparison from before and after use? Thanks

Ok, here ya go, Omar... My painted boots nine months and a bunch of wearings later....

-------------

I haven't retouched them even once. The paint proved to be quite durable.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 3:18 PM, Addertime said:

Ok, here ya go, Omar... My painted boots nine months and a bunch of wearings later....

-----------

I haven't retouched them even once. The paint proved to be quite durable.

Wow, that's pretty tough stuff!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great post, thanks to OP for the photos. I'm gearing up to do this as well and have been studying this closely.

Some info for the Angelus brand leather paint & finishers...
There are (4) sheens available from them which are:

- Matte = Lower Sheen Semi-Gloss

- Satin = New Shoe Glossy

- Normal (also labeled as #600) = Glossy

- High Gloss = Highest Gloss

Original poster in their photo used "#600/Normal" which has a glossy finish, that's why it came out on the shinier side of things for them

• 1 month later...