Fully operational 9MM E-11

ChickenWalker

Just hope there's no repercussions for the 501st, now that this can of worms has been opened.... Looks nice, but you've taken a prop to fully functional... Just be aware the implications for the rest of us. It only takes one or a few to bring the whole down. As the saying goes, one bad Apple, spoils the bunch.

- Lord Vader is in the next room? Hurry, let's clean this up...

Just hope there's no repercussions for the 501st, now that this can of worms has been opened.... Looks nice, but you've taken a prop to fully functional... Just be aware the implications for the rest of us. It only takes one or a few to bring the whole down. As the saying goes, one bad Apple, spoils the bunch.

- Lord Vader is in the next room? Hurry, let's clean this up...

So true... One would hope that somebody aware of the laws involved with SBRs and willing to adhere to them would also be aware of the responsibilities. It is my opinion that although this is really cool, the weapon should not be trooped. In this day and age people may be easily spooked by a masked or costumed person carrying a functioning weapon. Let's not forget the "stormtrooper for hire" incident. Unless the owner lives in an open carry state, I believe the weapon should be kept at home and on the firing range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So true... One would hope that somebody aware of the laws involved with SBRs and willing to adhere to them would also be aware of the responsibilities. It is my opinion that although this is really cool, the weapon should not be trooped. In this day and age people may be easily spooked by a masked or costumed person carrying a functioning weapon. Let's not forget the "stormtrooper for hire" incident. Unless the owner lives in an open carry state, I believe the weapon should be kept at home and on the firing range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn't want to troop with 9 pounds of steel in you arms regardless of if it was functional or not.

Get stronger.

I always wonder when real guns are dismissed for being to heavy what these "weekend wannabe soldiers" think the real soldiers do - having a assistent that carries their equipment?

If you can´t handle the weight for those few hours, maybe better choose a costume that fits your fitness ..... a princess Leia, queen padme or one of their handmaiden ...... B)  

I can understand arguements like "going hyperfirm just in case you hit someone/a child due to not seing them", or "something easily to differ from a real one to avoid problems with the law", anything that way. But not the weight as a reason itself.

Get stronger.

I always wonder when real guns are dismissed for being to heavy what these "weekend wannabe soldiers" think the real soldiers do - having a assistent that carries their equipment?

If you can´t handle the weight for those few hours, maybe better choose a costume that fits your fitness ..... a princess Leia, queen padme or one of their handmaiden ...... B)  

I can understand arguements like "going hyperfirm just in case you hit someone/a child due to not seing them", or "something easily to differ from a real one to avoid problems with the law", anything that way. But not the weight as a reason itself.

I did my service carrying around 9 pounds of FNC assault rifle and a lot more to it.

It does not mean I want to troop with one when in costume, regardless of if it's real or not. My trooping E-11, in all aluminum comes in at 1.5 Kg.

Maybe it´s due to my military time, but light weapons look totally wrong when handled.

A ballerina stormie that swings a ultralight E-11 with one hand is immediatly unrealistic to me, same for a holstered blaster (lets say Han Solo) that flaps around when he moves instead of pulling the holster down with it´s weight.

People move and handle different with a more realistic weight.

Same as a reenactment knight in plastic armor and with a wooden sword.

People who don't know how to handle guns properly also rarely carry guns the way you think looks realistic, regardless of weight.

Aren't we nit picky enough about the plastic, or do we have to take it a step further and get picky on how we carry blasters or weapons... Come on guys, lighten up!

Aren't we nit picky enough about the plastic, or do we have to take it a step further and get picky on how we carry blasters or weapons... Come on guys, lighten up!

Hard to overlook things that gets pounded into you until it's second nature.

To be fair though..isn't it more accurate to "mishandle" an E-11 than to act as though it really is a heavy functional weapon? The extras in the movies didn't always "do it right"...plenty of instances of poor trigger disipline, one handed firing etc..etc....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's where we decide, does this effect me, or everyone, and does it really need commenting on?

More or less the same as with the difference between a RS or a FX.

Does it effect you? Or everyone? And does the difference really need to be commented on? I bet over 90% see differences between suits, when next to each other - but they all are just stormies for them, each of them.

Armor only? Or same for addons? Where to draw the line? A bad Solo isn´t affected by a bad plastic gun and it´s "behaviour", but a good one can be really downgraded by such details. Same for a stormie.

More or less the same as with the difference between a RS or a FX.

Does it effect you? Or everyone? And does the difference really need to be commented on? I bet over 90% see differences between suits, when next to each other - but they all are just stormies for them, each of them.

Armor only? Or same for addons? Where to draw the line? A bad Solo isn´t affected by a bad plastic gun and it´s "behaviour", but a good one can be really downgraded by such details. Same for a stormie.

So we nit pick and argue or banter back and forth, and give the rest of the club the term "elitist"...

Just enjoy with what you have...

But i can understand as i understand both and some of you...

One like's the screen, screen accurate...

Others like to get as close as, and might never be able to, but bring joy to those that want too.

(some even in between it, that you never hear of)

Something like that :)

It's a shame and blessing at the same time, that a fictional movie with real props, is used in a movie a long long time ago......

But one must do whatever.. (as it's still a movie in the end)

Dancing stormies, why not... it beat's not having a suit at all to look at.

A real Sterling is heavy, and that a stormie is considered the bad guy, but we should keep it fictional for everyone's desire.

Strike the pose... but enjoy :D

Edited by Tr00per

Personally I want to see the well safetied and scripted video from the range...

Cue little kid: (in snarky voice) "is that gun REAL?"

Cue tk: "Yes!"

Tk cocks lever and sprays all around a rebel target, or ewok.

Tk: "real doesn't help, kid!"

Pan to kids open mouthed stare, fade to black.

But I'm just going to keep trooping my plastic spaceman and painted fake with a Painted plastic book binding spring, and make kids smile, scream, or run to mommy.

• 4 weeks later...

People move and handle different with a more realistic weight.

Great observation, Lichtbringer.  :)

Every time I watch ANH, I notice the "realistic weight" effect when Luke is on the Death Star bridge with Leia.

As he raises the E-11 to fire at the stormtroopers above, the barrel seems to come up sluggishly.

Like he's a big wuss and can't handle the weapon properly...

I couldn't understand why they didn't reshoot that scene until I built my steel E-11.

It takes some muscle to raise several pounds of steel QUICKLY with one arm. 

I tried that move with my E-11 and got a similar result - the barrel comes up slowly due to the weight and inertia.

Or (I hadn't thought of this until just now) maybe I'm a big wuss too...

It's subtle, but I think you can definitely see the effect of realistic weight in this scene.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I've been too preoccupied with real life to keep up with this thread. But I have managed to paint this thing and it looks beautiful. I analyzed to death what color I wanted this thing and in the end I just could not justify putting rattle can spray paint on it. I finally decided to use Duracoat matte black which is an extremely durable epoxy paint made specifically for firearms and I could not be happier with the results. I also decided to go with a gloss black on the handgrip and that immediately looked amazing and just looked very old-school law enforcement to me.

I am still working on the Hengstler housing for the sound effect circuit. That will be on next week. Sighting the laser on my homemade M38 laser sight is tricky and I need to take some time with a bore sight to get it in the ballpark before I waste a bunch of ammo sighting it in. I plan on checking that off the list this weekend. So hopefully next week I can put it through its paces at the range with full electronics.

Meanwhile I have some subsonic red tracer ammo coming for outdoor fun. Should look somewhat like a nice, slow blaster bolt and not completely drown out my sound FX.

To assuage some of your fears that I will troop with this, I don't even own armor. I just like building functional Star Wars props. Next project: real firetrooper flamethrower.

IMG_1416a.JPG

IMG_1421a.JPG

IMG_1425a.JPG

IMG_1429a.JPG

• Like 1