surprise from my parents

kiyotei

my dad gave me a call telling me that he and mom were trying to watch a movie with their VCR and it was no longer playing tapes in color. My first response was why the hell are you using a VCR, you have an HD DVD player and a new plasma tv???? It must look like crap. I told him to throw out all his VHS tapes and get them on DVD. Then it registered what he was watching...an original ANH VHS tape. I had no idea my mom had bought it for the grand kids some time ago. I totally back tracked and told him to keep it. I've been wanting to see the original tape so I can remember what it looked by before all the digital edits done for the DVD. Yikes I can't believe I told him to throw it away...DUH!

How does that saying go, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

What I wouldn't give to get my widescreen THX VHS tapes back (they were stolen) and convert them to DVD so they wouldn't degrade.

Yes, but the 1996 WS THX ones are a bit harder to find in mint condition, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time.

At least LFL got the laser disk converted to DVD but had to buy a second copy of the SE on DVD to get it :6: .

Yes, but the 1996 WS THX ones are a bit harder to find in mint condition, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time.

At least LFL got the laser disk converted to DVD but had to buy a second copy of the SE on DVD to get it :6: .

Except that DVD transfer is crap. The colours are off, it's not anamorphic, and so on and so on. LFL didn't want to spend any more than necessary to bring the non-SE OT to DVD.

I've still got my old collector's box of the pre-SE movies in widescreen, with a bonus "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" video and abridged version of George Lucas: The Creative Impulse.

--Jonah

I have a set of these and a VHS player. You should come over sometime Jim - I'll trade an ANH party for some of that wonderful smoked meat you make. :)

The vobs from the LaserDisk set have been on the Internet for quite some time - long before George decided to essentially do the same thing and charge for them. I had hoped that Uncle George might have made some improvements, but it turned out to be a waste of my money to find out.

You can buy the original un-altered DVDs now too... is that what you're talking about the color being 'off' on?

My friend still has the laser discs and a player... we've watched them on that a few times... though it's been at LEAST 10 years.

I just recently finished watching the original trilogy with my girlfriend not to long ago. Watched them untouched and on VHS as well.

You can buy the original un-altered DVDs now too... is that what you're talking about the color being 'off' on?

What's all that unaltered DVD thing about? What did I miss?

I have the old Star Wars Trilogy Collector Edition on VHS. The rigid black box. Actually, my best friend, a long time ago, had given it to me as a loan. He didn't want to associate it with his girlfriend at the time, so to my place it went. He went missing on me, oh well, kept the box!

Weirdly, I can't find a pic of the box online ...

What's all that unaltered DVD thing about? What did I miss?

If you see any of the OT movies in single packages (not a box set that is) they contain as a "bonus feature" the theatrical version of the movies. It's not as good a transfer as the regular DVD, although you don't have to deal with Crazy Uncle George's digital changes and re-edits. And people may complain about it being non-anamorphic, 2.1 sound, etc. but it is still better color timed than the "Special Editions".

Has anyone watched the horribleness that is now the Battle of Endor space battle. The colors are awful and all over the place. Echo Base on Hoth is Blue! I swear there is a scene in ANH that has gone black and white.

Back on topic, I still have some of my original VHS tapes, however I didn't get widescreen until the SE tapes.

I have ANH, ESB, and ROJ on CED and Laserdisc. Original unaltered and the laserdiscs are in widescreen. For those not familiar with CEDs they came before laserdiscs. They were 12 inch discs similar to laserediscs, but encased in a plastic caddy. The whole caddy was inserted into the machine and then you would pull it out leaving the disc inside.