Elwin's ANOVOS TK Build

It has begun...

After it arrived in March, I finally have the time to focus on my ANOVOS TK Kit. I've spent a good couple weeks doing my fair share of research before actually unpacking my Big Brown Box. Since this is my first ever project of this kind I wanted to make sure I was as prepared as possible before starting. My goal was to review as many build guides, forums, Facebook posts and other sources and compile my own 'Complete Build Guide' even before unpacking the first piece... I wanted to know what all my options were and I definitely didn't want any mistakes or surprises.

Well, that didn't work at all. I found the initial research so overwhelming as there are so many build guides with their own processes and so much information on each individual piece that after about two weeks of solid research I realized it was probably going to take me about four or five times as long just to put this build guide together then it would be to actually build the armour. I decided I would just reference two or three tutorials/blogs as I went, so started unpacking my BBB and began trimming the forearms.

I'll be referencing these three guides as I go, with additional research on whitearmor.net and the ANOVOS Kit Building Facebook Group:

ukswrath - WhiteArmor.net ANOVOS Build Forum

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/page-1

Obsidian’ ANOVOS TK Armor Build Blog

http://obsidiustk.blogspot.ca

I'd Rather Kiss A Wookie
http://www.idratherkissawookie.co.uk

Also felt this Trooperbay build series was helpful (especially when trying to figure out how to cut the tricky curved edges)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmcZ8J_ZECA

I'm going into Day 3 of my build and so far have most of the arm pieces cut out, minus the shoulders which I will be completing tonight. So far so good. I wasn't too happy with the 'score and snap' method as I had a couple of minor slips. Slips that will go unnoticed but did cause some concern over the potential for some disastrous ones. I knew that some builders were opting to use a Dremel for cutting and edge finishing, so thought I would give that a try. However, within about 15 minutes of using the Dremel I went straight back to 'score and snap'. Can elaborate on my experience if anyone is wondering but I just felt I had more control with my Olfa & X-Acto knives. After trimming about 3 or 4 pieces I am now completely comfortable am going to stick with this method for the rest of my build.

Here are some photos of my progress to date! Will be posting occasional updates and asking for clarification as things come up!

post-24432-0-88998800-1469666917_thumb.jpg

post-24432-0-92896400-1469666958_thumb.jpg

post-24432-0-22508000-1469666988_thumb.jpg

Now time to put on that great soundtrack and continue cutting!
-Elwin

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I was at FanExpo in Toronto and was able to hang out at the 501st Canadian Garrison booth for a bit and chat to some troopers about my build. It was great to see a bunch of completed TKs and I realized how much I have already learned about the process and details of the armour.

I couldn't wait to get back to my build and post a much-needed update.

IMG_0755_zpskdobctkh.jpg

All of the pieces have been cut out! I also invested in a TKProducts posable mannequin to hold the armour when I am not trooping. I had a bit of an adventure acquiring the mannequin as I had to get it shipped to Canada. The shipping charges would have basically doubled the cost of the mannequin to around $400 CAD, which I wasn't prepared to spend. Lucky for me, I live about an hour away from Buffalo, NY so I had the mannequin shipped to a storage facility there and drove down myself to pick it up. I was expecting to pay some duty and taxes on it when I brought it across the border but after explaining to the border guard why I was bringing a mannequin into the country he basically said "move along, move along" and I didn't have to pay anything!

So far it's looking like most of the butt ends and return edges are lining up well. I have also removed the return edge around the wrist as I am aiming for a Centurion Level build.

IMG_0757_zpslyxpayzz.jpg

IMG_0756_zpsdsckdm1m.jpg

IMG_0758_zpsxp87obwv.jpg

I do have some concerns about the seems on the return edges. There is a cover strip over the butt ends so that will be finished nicely. However, at the ends of the pieces, it's looking like I am going to have a bunch of gaps at the seams...  :mellow: Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I was thinking of overlapping the butt joints until the gap on the return edge is flush and then trimming back some material from the butt joint.

IMG_0759_zpspkzcuyrg.jpg

I'm going to wait for some answers before moving forward, but hope to have the arm pieces glued by the end of the weekend!

• Like 1