Around the Detachment

From the PRO
Notable Troops

Memoirs of a Stormtrooper
Advanced Tactics Awards
Follow FISD

founderscorner.png

Greetings loyal Citizens and Troopers.

Paul was the driving force behind the formation of the FISD and the Expert Infantry Badge program. And now we are celebrating 10 years of 'Troopers Helping Troopers'. It was no easy job to start from a small handful to what is now the largest detachment in the Legion and the best resource online for Stormtrooper costuming. 

One of the IPM's first interviews was with our Founder Paul on the origins of the Expert Infantry Badge program and the coveted ribbon. That was a couple of years ago. In light of the FISD's 10 Anniversary the Q&A has been posted again below to take us on a tour of the memories of Paul and his journey.

Some of you might be wondering why there's an "Expert Infantry" ribbon under some screen names on the FISD forums. Some of you might not even have heard of it or you could already be an Expert Infantry but unawares of the history of it. Who better than Daetrin (Paul) himself, founder of both the Expert Infantry Badge (EIB) program and the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment, to tell us about this program?

IPM: What is the Expert Infantry Badge program and its vision?

Daetrin: The Expert Infantry award program is captured as the second goal of our detachment charter, as I felt the program was so crucial to the detachment's success, it was imperative to write it in. To quote

"2. Develop and create a higher standard of Stormtrooper costume for members to achieve and a "kudo" (e.g. deployed status) as a recognition of that accomplishment (the same way the Mos Eisley Police Department has created a higher standard for MEPD Deployment). The goal of this is not to force people to achieve the higher standard, but rather to demonstrate what the costume can become and recognize those who achieve it."

The intent is to be a step up from base standards, however not to be the highest level of accuracy one can achieve in a 501st costume. If the standards are too high and rely on items that are expensive or very hard to acquire, or that takes a large amount of time, very few people will go for it. This is what happened to Lancer. For these reasons I wanted a program that could be achieved with a moderate level of time, money and skill, yet still push the bar on accuracy.

As you can see, at it's heart it's a recognition program. There really shouldn't be any tangible benefit except the satisfaction that one went above and beyond the base standard, and you were congratulated for it. This is why the only EI-only merchandise is the gold coin; people should be striving for this achievement because they can enjoy the pride in a job well done, and not for any material benefit. By recognition, they can inspire others to do the same.

My thought was that if we ever get to 30% adoption, then we should increase the standards. However, as the base standards were increased, we had to up the EI standards so that they were a bump up, yet again, over base.
I think it's important for people to remember that this is an optional program. Not participating does not make you a lesser member in FISD.

IPM: How and when did this program come about?
Daetrin: When I started in the Legion back in 2005, there was no forum for Stormtroopers. This was a problem for me because I was in a pretty small garrison where we only trooped maybe once a month (or every other month) and the membership was low. Secondly, information was hard to come by. There were a few sites like Dean Plantamura's White Armor Chronicles and also Mike Harrison's site, however there was no place to ask questions. If I asked locally I was told, "When you get in, we'll tell you," or when someone showed me pictures of what I later learned was poor recast AP armor and I asked about its accuracy, the response I got was "Why are you asking so many questions?".
I discovered MEPD (Mos Eisley Police Department - the Sandtrooper forum) and found a whole different experience. On MEPD, they discussed *everything,* and people are very willing to share what they knew. I was shocked. "Is this what the rest of the Legion is like?" I kept wondering why there was no such resource for Stormtroopers, but when I asked if there was a Stormtrooper detachment, I was told, "You're in it." I guess for old-time troopers in big garrisons, people had a lot of local help. Also, as it turned out, it seemed there was a type of old-time trooper who really had no sympathy for new people, and the pattern seemed to be that they let you buy FX armor on Ebay for $1,300 to get started, but once you were in, they told you how to get FX via the Legion for much less, or they told you about AP or RT, which were far more accurate.
My motivation was that I didn't want any other new Stormtrooper to go what I went through - being lied to, or else just had information withheld. I wanted MEPD for TKs. I felt even if the detachment never grew beyond 20 people and only got a few hits a month, if I could save even one person the pain I went through, I'd be happy. And thus, FISD was born.
MEPD also had a really cool deployed program where they encouraged and acknowledged people who wanted to go beyond base 501st standards and up their costume. I thought this was very inspiring and worked out well - even today about 1/3rd of all Sandtroopers are "deployed." The Legion at the time was probably about 90% out of the box FX, and it seemed strange to me that the "backbone of the Legion" would have the lowest costume standards accuracy-wise, and I wanted the EI program to encourage my fellow TKs to take the same leap that those on MEPD did. This is why the program is identical between the two detachments. Being an XO on MEPD back in the day helped ensure that the standards between the programs were comparable.

IPM: Where is the name "Expert Infantry Badge" derived from?
Daetrin: Originally, we put the title to a vote and it was called the "Mark" program, e.g. an ANH trooper was called "Mark IV". This was clearly a case where sometimes the wisdom of the crowd is not so wise. Since no one really liked the name, we rebranded it to "Elite," and you can still find some bin stickers that say FISD Elite on them. However some of the old TKs in the Legion felt we were too "elitist," so it had to change (we were forced to). I started thinking about what would capture the essence of the program. I started my Army career as as infantryman (11B), and thought that the Army's Expert Infantryman award was pretty appropriate. In other words, it was an award that went to any trooper who was able to demonstrate mastery of the basics of his craft. Hmmm...sounds exactly like what I wanted, so I changed the name years ago and the rest is history.
This is also why all the FISD branding derives from the US Army colors and insignia, by the way. When you are the one creating the detachment, you get to design the logo...

IPM: This program has come a long way. Were there any initial struggles such as misconceptions about it, raising awareness, or launching the program?
Daetrin: Absolutely. The primary struggle was that many of the old-time troopers - and thus many in Legion leadership positions - had out-of-the-box FX suits and had no desire to put any more time and effort in to their suits. For whatever reason, they were very reluctant to have new troopers be better looking and more accurate. It's sad because in my mind, it's natural that those that come later would benefit from the pioneering spirit of those that came before. Life is about change, so trying to keep the standards locked in to 2004 seemed very strange to me, especially as other costumes were constantly raising their own accuracy bar.
However, what has happened is that the older members simply retire than upgrade, and for new members going EI isn't much more work than base standards on a new suit, so most of the folks going EI are new members. As they move up in to leadership roles, themselves, through the years, the resistance has faded. Now many detachments have such a program: SLD, SpecOps, IOC, BSN. It may be hard for people to understand that at the time we started, only MEPD has such a program, and FISD was only the second detachment to create one.
A huge thanks has to be paid to Ed DaSilva - the DL after my first term - who battled relentlessly to ensure that the Stormtrooper standards wouldn't be allowed to languish. He is truly an unsung hero of FISD and Stormtrooping costuming in the Legion.

IPM: As of April 2014, the FISD has 369 active Expert Infantries representing 60 garrisons in 28 countries. What are your thoughts on its current state?
Daetrin: I'm pleased that it has grown, although I am disappointed that it has leveled out in the past few years. We have over 2,129 TKs in the Legion. If we were as successful as MEPD, we'd have 700 Expert Infantry members in the Legion. So while 370 sounds impressive, I feel we're only half way there. This is why I'm so passionate that rather than focusing on Centurion or worrying about yet another program, FISD should really concentrate on outreach to help get more Expert Infantry in the Legion. Think about it: if every EI helped just *one* person go EI, we could double the ranks overnight.

IPM: How can one become an Expert Infantry?
Daetrin: It's quite easy. Even someone with an FX suit can achieve it for about $50 and an afternoon of work. For people doing new build suits, there truly is no extra effort involved as all modern suits come EI ready, which was not the case back when FX was popular. All one has to do is read the standard and build their suit accordingly. In fact, when I go to conventions, I see many troopers who are one detail or two away from achieving it, such as not having a D-ring on their blaster. A $1 part and they'd be there.

IPM: Can one apply for multiple costumes?
Daetrin: Absolutely! That's part of the fun. Todd Maxfield-Matsumto currently has the record with 6 EI awards, and is, in fact, the only person to have a gold instead of silver star above his badge.

End of Q&A

Paul, the FISD and its Staff would like to thank you and all those who have helped before to make the FISD what it is today. The ease of acquiring Stormtrooper costume knowledge is something we take for granted far too easily. Today we have 611 Expert Infantries. Looks like we'll be reaching 700 real soon!

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

The Imperial Propaganda Machine

fromthedetachmentleader.png

To all who shall see these presents, greeting:

This month marks the Tenth Anniversary of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (FISD).  

In a normal newsletter introduction, I try to compose a post that touches on the mood of the forums, or the exciting things that may be happening specifically that month.  This month though...  I don't have much to say.  This intro piece is not about me, or what I think.  It is about you, each and every one of you reading this right now.  You're the reason that the Imperial Propaganda Department, in conjunction with the Detachment Staff, labors to produce these newsletters each month.  You're the reason that Paul Hoeffer (Daetrin) was inspired, over a decade ago, to start the FISD.  You're the reason that we do everything that we do here, every day, and you're the reason that someone will continue to do these things for as long as there are Stormtrooper costumers in need of assistance in the world.  Thank you for doing what you do, and providing the inspiration and motivation for over a decade of Detachment leadership to continue doing what we do.

The crew has done some truly awe-inspiring work this month.  You're in for an amazing ride with this newsletter.  There is a lot of history unveiled, a lot of history re-examined, and perhaps the most moving Memoir of a Stormtrooper that we will ever have the opportunity to read has been shared for each of us.

I'm honored and humbled to serve as your Detachment Leader as we celebrate a decade of excellence in support of Troopers Helping Troopers throughout the world.

Enjoy your newsletter, Stormtroopers!

Happy Anniversary, FISD!!

Tim Waychoff
TK-51878 "Dark CMF"
Detachment Leader

aroundthedetachment.png

We bring to you the thoughts of the FISD's first Deployment Officer Scott M. to share his thoughts on the FISD past till present!

When Scott was asked how the FISD was like back in the early days he replied:

I think for me, I was just in awe of the Detachment and how much assistance was available to me back in 2007. Not only that, but wanting to push my kit to the next level and Paul having the forethought to allow us to "be better" without making other troopers feel inferior was an amazing step, and one Paul was very passionate about.  There was a lot of turmoil over the "Elite Trooper" program, and it came with fear and push back, but the FISD stood firm to allow us to keep pushing the envelope.

The EIB (or as it was initially called: "Elite Trooper Status") program was a great way to keep members active, engaged and always pushing the boundaries. Working with Paul to see the very first "requirements" list be put to the test and then formalizing them was a great honor, as was being the very first Deployment Officer.  Making decals and sending swag was something I did for a few years that just kept in line with the motto "Troopers helping Troopers."  I love how much that program has grown, well beyond my wildest dreams!!

(I am sure Paul can recall numerous PM arguments about having the language in the details to support what was desired at the time)   :)

I remember having the honor to work with Ed to lead the FISD on our march from the Legion photo to the FISD Detachment photo shoot at Celebration IV.  At the time, it was the biggest collections of Legion TK's in one place, and was also the photo from our very first group Detachment trading card!!

gallery_18732_76_36091.jpg

That is me on the right of the FISD banner, and Ed DaSilva on the left!!!

For me, my love of costuming started with the TK, and has just expanded to too many other kits for me to stay as connected with the FISD as I would have liked.  But, to that end, having a place I can always come back to, check in, and see some of the same people I worked with on staff way back in the day is so awesome to see.  The continued passion and desire to see the TK's be so amazing (especially with the new movies coming out) just is apparent in everything this detachment does.

I am now and always will be a TK to the end.  It was my first kit (and has undergone several improvements and changes over the years), and as I begin to start adding my wife to the TK ranks, as well as my son's first 501st approved kit was a TK, I will always be TK-4149, proud member of the FISD, the biggest (and best) detachment in the Legion!!!

With unquestioned Loyalty,

Scott M.

Deployment Officer Emeritus

And now a message from your Deputy Provost Marshall Eric (Tolo)

Greetings Troopers,

In the past months, I have notice members not respecting certain conduct etiquette we have on the FISD. The most noticeable are offensive and inappropriate language.  I understand that some discussions can get animated with different point of views, but, insulting another member, will never help an argument, only create more tension.

If you feel that you are being bullied, insulted, you see someone using inappropriate language; feel free to reach to anyone in the Staff. We have zero tolerance for these types of behavior.

Don’t forget, we are here to have fun, meet new people and most important: Troopers Helping Troopers.

As a refresher, I suggest reading the FISD Do’s and Don’ts right here: http://www.whitearmo...-dos-and-donts/

With unquestioned Loyalty,

Eric Salottolo
“Tolo”

Deputy Provost Marshall

fromthepro.png

Competition Announcement!

Hello everyone,

Some of you might have went for Celebration Europe, streamed it live, or even "experienced" Celebration from all the social media postings and photos. While we have to wait another year for the next one the party's not over yet for the FISD's 10th Birthday! And to celebrate it the IPM will be releasing a series of competitions.

The first competition that will be announced is the Trooper's Log Competition:

• Write a short story involving yourself (a Stormtrooper), a Star Wars character, a new made up character or even all of them together! Darth Vader must be in the story in the form of a cameo or protagonist/antagonist.
  • Word count limit to be decided.
  • A background story or premise will be provided and the contestant must build the story around it.

The competition will have a time limit and one winner will be decided. Don't worry there will be enough time for everyone in different timezones to participate. The competition rules and story premise will be announced on a separate thread so do look out for it!

So what's the prize? Upon winning, FISD VIP (and also a member here) Brian Muir will mail his autograph directly to you! Brian Muir sculpted the helmet and armor of Darth Vader, the armor of the Stormtrooper, and various props and characters throughout the Star Wars Saga.

The IPM released a special edition newsletter (may I add exactly 1 year ago on July 2015) featuring a Brian Muir interview that you can view here: July 2015 Newsletter - Brian Muir Edition

Here's a short clip on the 501st which I thought was put very well together. Makes you proud to be part of the 501st!

We also have a wonderfully written memoir thanks to Chris (v7sg) and Chris Berban. I uploaded the pictures with a touched yet heavy heart (you'll see what i meant when you get to the memoir). I believe it really reminds us why we do what we do and go through the pain, discomfort, and heat. Besides it being fun we also want to make a difference to those around us and make the world a brighter and happier place. We have a wonderful gift and it us up to us to benefit and bless others with it.

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "Holnave (evan_loh)"

FISD Public Relations Officer

notabletroops.png

Cradle of Aviation Eternal Con - LI, NY

The Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City Long Island NY hosted the Eternal Con event for 2016 featuring the 501st Legion's Empire City Garrison on Saturday June 11th and Sunday June 12th 2016 from 10:00am - 4:00pm. We had over a dozen Attendees from the Empire City Garrison, and congratulations to Johnny Arocho (TK-19140) and James Crichton (IC-33182) on their first troop! The CAM is Long Island's Air and Space museum, and features an actual unused Moon Lander, A10 Tank killer, and other incredible artifacts from our aviation history. They also have a Dome IMAX, motion rides, and some really impressive exhibits. They were very impressed by our appearance over the past 6 years, and they were thrilled to have us back to support the fourth annual Eternal Con. Eternal Con has become Long Island's premier Pop Culture expo featuring over 200 vendors, artists, and various celebrities signing autographs.

This was great event for us, and it not only helped the museum, but we managed to raise $75 for Special Olympics at our table. We were not able to do Blast-A-Trooper due to the layout this year, but attendees were generous enough to volunteer donations for pictures or just to show their appreciation for what we do. Special thanks to John Trowbridge (TI-42070) the ECG Charity Rep, who did an hour long session being a wrangler to get the majority of those donations. We had a great table setup, despite being around a corner and at a dead end, but we made the best of it. Everyone was very professional and represented the legion in the best way possible, roaming the con, taking photos with guests, and answering questions from potential members at the table. The changing area was small and on the other end of the museum, but we made our own next to the table behind our Deathstar backdrop, which made it a bit easier for overflow. Thanks to the help of our volunteers both in and out of costume, we were able to run the table both days. The con was much bigger this year than anyone expected, and our contact at the Cradle indicated there were nearly ten thousand guests throughout the two day event. Thanks to everyone for their patience, it got a little crazy between the crowds at the con, and our location, but we made it work. A big thanks goes out to Chris Feehan who kept everyone organized as best as he could!

gallery_18732_76_48239.jpg

gallery_18732_76_15746.jpg

More here: http://www.whitearmo...rnal-con-li-ny/

By: Steve, starsaber25, 10466

Humperdingle's Troop Diary

Very happy to say that my first troop under the UKG 501st (Imperial Scottish Squad), has been completed. I had a great day, pretty much constant photo calls and lots of smiles on the faces of the kids and their families! Thanks to the guys who trooped with me :) (I'm the guy wearing white :D )

gallery_18732_76_237392.jpeg

gallery_18732_76_155535.jpeg

More here: http://www.whitearmo...es-troop-diary/

By: Mark, humperdingle, 22700

Northern Ireland comic con

gallery_18732_76_104475.jpg

gallery_18732_76_92374.jpg

More here: http://www.whitearmo...land-comic-con/

By: Dale, Squaddiechef

UKG troop for USAF

Had the pleasure to troop at RAF Mildenhall again yesterday. It was the second time we had been invited to support the Jedi training academy at the base exchange. As it was also armed forces day in the UK, and as an ex service man, it was a fantastic opportunity to support the military community.

The hospitality from the guys in the exchange was fantastic and the reaction from the people coming in was amazing, everyone was really appreciative of us being there.

Really looking forward to the next opportunity to troop there and put some smiles on the faces of the families of our brothers and sisters from "across the pond"

gallery_18732_76_33984.jpg

gallery_18732_76_13933.jpg

gallery_18732_76_9406.jpg

More here: http://www.whitearmo...troop-for-usaf/

By: Pete, WhiteRoseSwampy, 17606

Supanova 2016 Perth Western Australia (Supporting SIDS - Red Nose Day)

25th and 26th June 2016

TROOPERS: TB85421- gmrhodes13, BH7642- Kade, DZ4582 – Chivo, TD84001- Tahly, TI10996- mitchuru, TK10589- stevetheemu, TK5841- Evilcat, SL51164- DV64, TB20074- Wayne74, TK10469- BennyTK, TI22414- sinurt, TI14240- Sndeath, TK671- TK671, DZ11880 – RoyalRebel, CT79969- ParsleyBoi, TK77620- Darth Reign

On a cold, wet morning, in a galaxy far far away, the troops all gathered in the Perth Convention Centre at 8am. After we all got a picture on the awesome Speeder bike (great work Chivo :D ) we all kitted up and got ready for the crowds.

The 501st Desert Scorpion squad had an amazing display, and there seemed to be a continuous crowd waiting to try out the Speeder Bike. A few were frightened by the sudden movement of the resident Biker Scout or the sounds of the bike taking off!!

All the wranglers were working really hard keeping the crowds in check, shaking those tins collecting lots of money for SIDS for kids and showing off their photography skills by helping the public take photos.
There were a couple of pesky ewoks who came over for a photo as well as several Rey's and Lord Vader was reunited with his grandson and also found a female Vader :heart: !!

All in all it was a great day and was an awesome turnout by our troops.

CHARITY: SIDS for kids Total: just over $3500

Photos:

gallery_18732_76_15603.jpg

gallery_18732_76_83088.jpg

More here: http://www.whitearmo...ay/#entry505556

By: Glen, gmrhodes13, 85421

Glen "Q" Rhodes
TK-85421 "gmrhodes13"
Imperial Propaganda Department

gallery_18732_76_25216.png

Howdy, Troops! A Fellow TK (v7sg), asked me for my most `Memorable Troop’.

There have been a lot.

Having one of the biggest smiles on my face while a very sick young boy named Luke (along with his twin sister Leia) walked our Squad around a hospital with his “Robot” (a rolling infusion pump) to visit all his friends. I mean seriously, how could a Star Wars Fan NOT name his twins Luke & Leia right?

Getting cast to stand under a ¾ scale First Order TIE Fighter for 20 hours over two days in the Austin sun and rain was another. Never before have I arrested so many Rebel and Scavenger Scum, nor been Force Choked so much (you know you have to be animated for each and every one, choking sounds and all!).

Watching a little girl get out of her wheelchair against her parents wishes to whip, nae nae, cupid shuffle and more with Vader and the rest of us Stormtroopers at a Pediatric Oncology Party, and to see the Happiness on the family’s faces after…

But my most memorable Troop wasn’t a single event at all, but rather, an experience the course of just under 9 months with a young man to whom I and many others owe much gratitude. A young man named Parker Diaz.

On a Tuesday afternoon June of 2011, I received an email from Lauren, one of our first Make-A-Wish contacts. A 10-year-old boy would be going into major surgery on Thursday and his Wish would be granted on Wednesday. His two favorite things being Lego & Star Wars, his Wish would be comprised of a Limo ride from San Antonio to Austin to have a shopping spree at the closest Lego Store (since we didn’t have one at the time in SA) with our Troopers waiting inside. I was still new to my job, and couldn’t take the next day off, but I emailed, called and texted the members of my Squad in Central Texas, and our guys turned out en force. He was shocked when he walked into the store and saw Vader and the Troopers.

med_gallery_18732_76_1476913.png

After the LEGO shopping spree, the Troops escorted him to Cheesecake Factory, in Armor, stopping at Build-A-Bear. Naturally, he grabbed a Vader Bear. After suiting down our troops joined them at the restaurant and took more pics around the Mall. Parker had his own entourage for the day. The Troops told me that when the Make-A-Wish folks told him to go get whatever he wanted in the store, Parker happily poured over the different Star Wars Lego Kits with a few Troopers. He said he liked the Death Star, but only grabbed two of the smaller kits, took them back to them and said Thank You. His dad explained, of course, that he could grab more. He said it was too expensive and it was tough to get him to grab more, but the Troops played with him to make a bit more fun; “Get this one, ‘cause it’s got me in it!!” That turned into a debate over who his favorite character was, and eventually he left with a number of different kits, large and small. Happier, certainly, but apparently it was clear that he didn’t think he needed all of them. After Lego, we heard from MAW later who said the family was “... so thankful for the wish and his dad said, ‘That day was so exciting and so special, and it really took Parker’s mind off things for one day.  For one day, cancer wasn’t the focus in his life.’”

med_gallery_18732_76_1082857.png

The Adrenal Cancer was definitely at the forefront of every day, Parker wasn’t scared about it. He wore his “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” shirts with pride. He said that after he got better he was going to join the 501st as Boba Fett, as long as his Dad could be Jango. He wanted to do what we did. His surgery was successful, and over the next few months Parker fought and proved wrong every short-term prognosis that he was given.

med_gallery_18732_76_220986.png

Lauren contacted me again in October regarding Parker after running into his family at another MAW event. She said he wasn’t doing very well at all, his doctors having given him a prognosis of three-six months, and his birthday was the following weekend. Parker had no idea he was that sick at the time, and she’d grown especially attached to him after being part of his wish. Heck, so had we; that Lego Troop in June made him our Squad’s very First Wish Kid.

med_gallery_18732_76_184106.png

So again we rallied the Troops together, and surprised Parker that weekend at his Peter Piper Pizza Party; suiting up in the Kitchen and at our vehicles behind the restaurant. If you aren’t familiar with this chain or others like it, it’s a large family style pizza parlor with an arcade.

Parker was visibly tired, but he definitely seemed to have a great time! We presented him with a certificate making him an honorary member of the Star Garrison and Commanding Officer For A Day, and I gave him my Star Garrison Patch.

When he read the Commander portion he asked what it meant. I told him we would do whatever he wanted us to.

He said, "I wanna play games with y'all."

"You got it. What do you wanna play?"  

He paused a bit, and then, "You wanna race?"

"Well, I can't since I can't sit down in this Stormtrooper armor, but our Biker Scout can!"

"Okay! <pause> Then,... You wanna play Terminator?"

"Absolutely, Parker! Lead the way!"

med_gallery_18732_76_1221685.png

We went straight to the new Terminator Arcade game, and I tried my best to aim well, but as we all know it's hard to see a thing through the green lenses. One of our TIE Pilots also jumped in and played with him. Afterwards, he raced with the Biker Scout we had and then went back to the table for cake and ice cream!! And he was excited to throw on a bucket for a quick pic too.

med_gallery_18732_76_813834.png

med_gallery_18732_76_1019585.png

We ran into Parker ourselves a few days later during our annual visit to the local American Cancer Society’s Boo Bash, and he was even more energetic, and wanted to get more pics with us, inspecting our costumes and talking about when he’d be Boba Fett. We received a few more updates from Parker and his dad; both of them emailed us a few times. Parker wanted to know how to get Boba, Jango, and Zam Wesell for himself, his dad and his dad’s girlfriend so they could all join the Legion. His dad emailed us about how much better the treatments were going, how much of a fighter Parker had become (something we could all see in him), how much better the scans looked as the masses diminished in size, and about how he couldn’t wait to get him into school.

gallery_18732_76_215816.png

Then came the update we didn’t want.

Things had taken another turn for the worse. The masses that were shrinking had tripled in size and the chemo treatments could not continue without bringing other detrimental effects.

We chatted with MAW and the family, and we knew if we could do anything it had to happen right away. He was back in the hospital and by all accounts, he wouldn’t be leaving. We didn't know how many days he had, just that it was ‘days’. So, the call came again, and again we answered to the best of our ability. His eyesight was failing and yet he was still confident that he’d be better, and was ready to Troop with his dad. I was a handler for this one, and hugged his dad while we were there as hard as I could, and told him we’d be there for him.

Parker passed a few short days after.

The family asked as few of us to be pallbearers, and it was one of the hardest things I’ve done in armor. The helmets hid our tears, but it was an honor to be there for Parker and and his family.

med_gallery_18732_76_186434.png

med_gallery_18732_76_86686.png

Those last few weeks were extremely tough on all of us in the squad after hearing that Parker had returned to the hospital. I can't thank the family enough for giving us an opportunity to be at the services, and I am extremely grateful to them for asking us to have the honor not only be pallbearers, but to perform a portion of that duty while in armor. Everything that we've done for Parker from the first time we were asked to help with his Wish until that day will likely always be the strongest reminders of why I am a member of the 501st Legion. I can't imagine a more fitting example of how being a Trooper can make a difference in a child's life, and how that child can make an even bigger difference in the lives of all those who get to know him. Every moment he was defiant, he fought every day against it, and chose not to be scared of it; not to worry.

Parker was the very first "Wish Kid" whose Wish our Squad had a hand in granting, and the times that we shared with him and his family and with Make-A-Wish helped solidify the squad's relationship with the Foundation. We did some great things for Parker and his family, and the folks at the foundation know we will be there for any other wishes that the Central Texas Squad can help grant. I also know that many of of us have made him, his family, and his story a very important part of our lives.

med_gallery_18732_76_191874.png

- Chris Berban

TK-6427

Central Texas Squad Leader

Star Garrison

Christian Burgos Hernandez
TK-9539 "v7sg"
Imperial Propaganda Department

advancedtactics.png

This month the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment would like to congratulate:

Expert Infantry Badge Award:
expert_infantry_badge1.png

Patrick Fiasse "Tango KiloTK-69671

Blake Hartmann "Darth Blake" TK-52780

Christina Rotsaert "TKZombie" TK-21421

Stephen Burns "Burns1214" TK-60612

Mark Oram "markoram" TK-62756

Kalani Patterson "kman" TK-91423

Nick Counter "Sgt_Boodles" TK-52849

Sean Cho "MisterXero" TK-19803

May Wayne "devilmonking" TK-11119

Kai Bartels "TK-71715" TK-71715

Aaron Lutsch "DeathProof" TK-32794

Joe Nelsen "jodo28" TK-10287

Scott Williams "TK16390TK-16390

David Arcia "illusionz_09" TK-11802

David Grimaldi "David Grimaldi" TK-18173

Gary Crowell "TK-22019" TK-22019

Nam Nguyen "Bushido" TK-3942

Juan Guerra "jguerr1" TK-10193

Taylor Dame "Tay_Dame" TK-28774

Jorge Maldonado "zv288bot" TK-23276

Manfred Mueller "Daelma" TK-22011

Joseph Chan "tk4949" TK-4949

Joe Marzocca "The Chief" TK-98239 

Ryan McGee "KingYeti" TK-29464

Jerome Fabry "Yooda2004" TK-41274 

Kris Hase "Haso" TK-29175

Centurion Award:
centurion_badge.png

Antonio López Claudio "toniltd" TK-17215

Christina Rotsaert "TKZombie" TK-21421

Chris Pearson "themaninthesuitcase" TK-10911

Gabriel Arroyo "y2gabe2" TK-83186

May Wayne "devilmonking" TK-11119

Stephen Burns "Burns1214" TK-60612

Lee Massey "Monster72SW" TK-29772

Oscar Arellano "acetilacetato" TK-28272

Matt McSweeney "SupRsloth" TK-50613

Aaron Lutsch "DeathProof" TK-32794

Mark Oram "markoram" TK-62756

David Grimaldi "David Grimaldi" TK-18173

Taylor Dame "Tay_Dame" TK-28774

Ryan McGee "KingYeti" TK-29464

Stand tall and be proud of what you have achieved troopers. You will now be deployed into the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Advanced Tactics Roster. Make us proud troopers!

The FISD is always looking for new applicants for our Advanced Tactics program so please do not hesitate to apply if you meet the standards! Our Deployment Officer and armorers are here to help and guide you through to success!

Feel like your armor is up to standards and worth of recognition? Apply for the Expert Infantry Badge Program now!

Want to go the extra mile, raise the standards of Stormtrooper armor, and be the envy of your peers? Apply for the Centurion Program now!

Note: Applicants need to be EIB approved before applying for Centurion.

Evan Loh

followfisd.png

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor
If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/FISD501st or @FISD501st
follow FISD on Twitter!

Instagram: www.instagram.com/501stfisd

Evan Loh

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff and the Imperial Propaganda Department,

<End Transmission>

• Like 13

As somebody who only received his box of Stormtroopery goodness this year and is still putting things together, I truly appreciate those that have gone before, fine tuned, improved and generally made this place the font of all knowledge.

Long may it last!

wow. Another amazing newsletter. The Parker story was difficult to read at the end. This detachment amazes me. I am so honored to be part of this. Thank You FISD!

• Like 1

Man, so much goodness in this newsletter. Much thanks to the founders, current and future leaders! Always inspired, proud to be a brother in white plastic.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Great read! I'm humbled to have featured in it, too - Despite my 'twisty bicep' :o which was one of a couple of issues I had to fix after my maiden troop!<br><br>

Thank you, FISD :)

What a wonderful, and touching, newsletter this month! I wish I had my helmet with me at work, as I sit here at my desk, trying to keep it together, because the tears could flow!

So very honored to be a part of this grand collection of great people. :)

• Like 1

Always a great read! Happy birthday FISD! It's a privilege and an honor to be a trooper and to be able to call of you my brothers in armor :')

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow thank you for having me feature, I'm not even cleared(yet) but hope to do much more in the future

Thank you for this newsletter. Especially the story about Parker touched my heart deeply. I'm thankful and proud to be part of this community!

Edited by Novak Dimon
  • Like 1

This month Newsletter is awesome.

EIB and Centurion, need push my armor to reach that.. especially after read background story about that.

The Parker story not just touched my heart, but motivated us doing more good for those who less fortune. with or without armor.

Thank you all the  founders and troopers who started and build this FISD since day one until now. Congratulations and happy anniversary FISD...  :peace:

"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" - Ben Kenobi 

Edited by swibowoj
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What an epic read after being away my friends - freakin stellar job !!! Many thanks - fist and chest bumps all around.

• Like 1