Another 3D Printed DLT-19

jonhaag

Hey Jon, I'm curious how much XTC-3D it took to cover that beast with two coats? That stuff is on the expensive side...

Probably going to wind up being 2 coats. Got derailed in my attempts to do it over the weekend - hoping to do it tonight. I've needed 2 30ml doses to do the first coat, and would imagine the same for coat 2. It's ultimately not a ton of the bottles since you brush on such a thin layer, but yeah, it's expensive either way. Does feel like it's making things a bit stronger though as it adds an additional layer of hardness.

Probably going to wind up being 2 coats. Got derailed in my attempts to do it over the weekend - hoping to do it tonight. I've needed 2 30ml doses to do the first coat, and would imagine the same for coat 2. It's ultimately not a ton of the bottles since you brush on such a thin layer, but yeah, it's expensive either way. Does feel like it's making things a bit stronger though as it adds an additional layer of hardness.

Only 60ml so far? Two of the little 1 fl oz cups? How many "doses" do you get out of a given weight bottle? I see Amazon has a 24oz kit for a little under $30, but it's not clear how much you use for each dose you mix up, since it's a 2 part recipe.

Edited by kman

It's a 2 to 1 mixture. So 20ml is part A and 10ml is part B. When I get home I'll get check the volume of each bottle for you.

Looks like it comes with two bottles, the big one is about twice the size of the small one, which makes sense. Only issue is the stupid bottles are labeled according to weight, not volume, so there's no way to determine how many volumes are in each bottle without seeing how much weight a dose uses. Grr.

Not a big deal either way, I suppose, I'm just curious if you're able to make the determination of how many doses would come from that 1 lb bottle (the bigger one, in the case of the 24oz package on Amazon)

Edited by kman

Looks like it comes with two bottles, the big one is about twice the size of the small one, which makes sense. Only issue is the stupid bottles are labeled according to weight, not volume, so there's no way to determine how many volumes are in each bottle without seeing how much weight a dose uses. Grr.

Not a big deal either way, I suppose, I'm just curious if you're able to make the determination of how many doses would come from that 1 lb bottle (the bigger one, in the case of the 24oz package on Amazon)

Looking it over, I can't really tell. I can say that you should be able to get quite a bit out of it considering how much I've used so far and how much is remaining.

• Like 1

Paint went on last night:

77e9394735b76c63712d9666517d8b94.jpg

9365ac911ffd000a9f7fe590fa8093f0.jpg

(Subsequent coats concealed the underlying color inside the barrel better - should have printed that in black to avoid any issues, but it's fine)

Being my first big printed/painted prop project, I've already learned a few lessons after this painting session. I should have worked on sanding some of the ridges where parts were joined together down a bit better, but I think I'll notice them far more than anyone else since I know what I'm looking at. I also managed to miss a few spots in my painting, partially due to having to do this outside at night. I'm going to pick up some flat black hobby paint and touch it up alongside the weathering with chain mail silver. I'm thinking that should work out ok.

Weathering and touch ups tomorrow night, plus a few very light coats of flat clear coat. Hoping to be able to troop with this Saturday...

After seeing my paint job in the light, I realized I missed a few chunks so I put down one more coat this afternoon.

d88432d4ebe90a8bb9f6b585a1d837e1.jpg

Let it dry this evening and then decided to go ahead and dive into weathering! I used "Chainmail Silver" and the dry brushing technique.

d214b24fce3f004ce1616a835d16d7be.jpg

Put just a little bit in a 20oz cap and went to work.

3b9665dc407eef959aed320980cfaf1f.jpg

Being my first time weathering, had a few places it went on heavier than intended at the start. Overall pretty happy with how it all turned out though.

b5f40a7dcdb417433dcbdfcb3e68c13b.jpg

336b73b8e241e6462ceb4c37baaa965a.jpg

23aa843d5b7a09ff654ef753e6535808.jpg

9152f822babcd0713a244346670e4489.jpg

bc9c77dbeccd6fc787e57e32d8ddd364.jpg

Went to screw in the charging handle and realized I had let some of the XTC-3D get in the hole and it messed it up. Sanded down the edge of the hole and then tried to screw it in again...

...I broke the handle off inside the receiver...

5b0e4f3b0f1b23c5ab2783b3cbcb6b82.jpg

186ed58dbdcca8b1f01bc201a0282f9d.jpg

Cut my losses and filled in the hole with putty. I'll sand it smooth tomorrow and paint it.

f15d9aa2bb27bac177f1dbad1790f92c.jpg

ac09b79e00dec29346442d2e7afee7b8.jpg

Forgot to take photos, but I wound up having to modify the bipod connection and used a screw to hold it to the barrel mount. Here it is in its 95% glory:

aa6c0b1a1417d06b5d07378017e54b83.jpg

b27d3acac51a1030d87578a2254d0d08.jpg

Just have to finish fixing the handle hole and then clear coat it all. I'm going to troop with the gun Saturday and then clear coat it afterward because I want to show it off. :D

• Like 1

Hey I noticed your T-track orientation and got a question...did you orient them like this?

4d3645ee16f99966b659ae1affa6eebf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, that's the diagram/configuration I used. I found a lot of variation around the web on the placement but that looked like the correct one based on some other people's DLTs.

Edited by jonhaag

Took my DLT out to its first troop today, went to put the butt stock around my arm, and managed to snap the screw right off...

446789bc85492004b58cd373ca5f77d8.jpg

I should have printed it stronger. Ah well. Going to sand the paint down and just permanently attach the buttstock to the receiver and call it a day.

This has been my first ever large scale print & my first 3D printed prop, so it's definitely been a learning experience. If I ever make a second one of these, the knowledge from this first one combined with the improvements the artist made to the version (1.0) that I built should make for an even better/stronger construction. Thankfully most breaks on this thing should be fixable by a healthy dose of super glue and a little bit of luck.

• Like 2

Took my DLT out to its first troop today, went to put the butt stock around my arm, and managed to snap the screw right off...

446789bc85492004b58cd373ca5f77d8.jpg

I should have printed it stronger. Ah well. Going to sand the paint down and just permanently attach the buttstock to the receiver and call it a day.

Yikes, that's no good. If you printed it vertical, do a layer change in the gcode and increase the infill and wall thickness by at least 50% and 1 or 2 walls. Sorry that happened to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...