BigStick

Hello From SoCal :)

Hey All,

Just got back from ComicCon & talking to members of the 501st & Mandalorian Mercs. Cool group of folks. Well, I've got the bug. Really want to build a Sand Trooper kit, Death Trooper, and a Mandalorian Merc. Since I have a wife (who's Indian name is "Stingy with the Bean"), I'll probably hafta stick with just one for awhile. Anywho, already begun to research- Holy Cow! 

• Like 2

Ha! Welcome to the rabbit hole. :)

Some questions to help guide your search:

How handy are you? (By which I mean the conclusion you reach after answering these questions: Comfortable with tools? You have a machine shop and will scratch build a new part if you need to? Solid construction skills "Building Decks and additions to my house is what I do for fun!" Or fairly handy, the kind of guy who will swap out a valve in your sink rather than spend $100 on a plumber... OR the kind of guy who calls the super to change a light bulb? Or if you're somewhere in between, which side would you guess you lean?)

And tool budget: "I'll happily buy the right tool for the right job, and I'd rather buy from Sears or Home Depot than Harbor Freight (or "I have a wholesale Snap-On Rep that I have regular meetings with"), or "I have a hammer, a screwdriver, a swiss army knife and one piece of sandpaper, and it may take a while longer, but I can make do with those just fine, much better than spending $10-15 on a tool I'll only use once."

And overall budget: "I'm going to use hand tools and make this for the least amount possible, fabricating pieces from scrap wood I found in a dumpster if I need to!" or more like "There's a place in Belgium that has the actual plastic used on screen for this little part, and it'll only cost $150 to get it here? Yay!" and "I have the budget to buy the best, so if there's a limited run being made by an expert machinist that makes this project that much cooler, it's well worth whatever it costs!"

All answers are valid, they would just affect which recommendations we'd make. :)

Edited by kman
  • Like 2

Hello and welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Hey Mark and welcome to FISD!  Take a look at the getting started threads.  You will find a great deal of information there.  Ask any questions you may have.  Have fun and good luck!

Thanks Everyone.

Kman- I guess I could be called moderately skilled w/ tools. I grew up building plastic models & R/C cars, and jumped back into the hobby about two years ago, for the sake of my boys of course. I also have a nice little woodworking shop in my garage/ man-cave, and am currently under the influence of Adam Savage & the "Tested" crew, Pinterest, and anything else that sparks my creativity. I'm also more than happy to use this adventure as an excuse to acquire any new tools I may need.

Budget would be in the neighborhood of a nicely outfitted AR-15, meaning the wifey says I can't buy my next rifle for awhile if I'm serious about doing this. Therefore I'm looking at real Sterling SMG's as a platform for the E-11 as a way to satisfy both needs :P  I would tend to go for higher quality gear, but I'm certainly not rich so the kids may have to subsist on water & toothpicks for the foreseeable future. 

I tend to be detail oriented, which judging by the few hours I've spent on this forum, would indicate I'm amongst a likeminded group of equally insane folk.

:duim:

• Like 1

Ok then! Sandtroopers and Shadowtroopers are essentially the same build (just different plastic). Great place to start working with armor, I'd say. Sandtrooper gets more fancy towards the finish, since you need some extras (pouches, backpacks, pauldrons), as opposed the Shadowtrooper that's simply an all-black Stormtrooper.

Both kits (regular white TK, which you paint/weather and add parts to, to make a Sandtrooper, and the black Shadowtrooper) are available from Anovos if you want a good licensed kit, but post-sales support is pretty crummy. Great kit otherwise, though, and fantastic price. OTOH, they're not currently shipping at the moment and Anovos has a, let's say, "checkered" past with meeting their own shipping estimates. Other vendors will likely ship sooner if you want things right away, or really don't fit the standard body type the armor is cast for.

One more question: How big are you? Average height and build, "pretty short for a stormtrooper", Tall and skinny, relatively round, or simply a massive mountain of a man? Or other? Some armor is more adaptable to various body types than others. (Most can be made to work, but the amount of work required varies widely)

I can't help a lot re the Mando, as I have yet to play with that particular armor, but you can check in with the Bounty Hunters Guild detachment for lots of info, I'm sure: http://thebhg.net/forum/

Well, back when I met my wife 25 years ago I was a svelte yet muscular 6'-2". Think Brad Pitt in "Troy". In the time hence she has beaten me down to 5'-10", and about 215 pounds give or take a doughnut. Holding on to my 34" waist by the skin 'o' my teeth. I no longer resemble Brad, but only because that dude just hasn't aged well.

I'm looking closely at AP Armor. Have heard nothing but good things, plus the guy who makes it is also named Mark  :jc_doublethumbup: I think I prefer the heavy-duty nature of ABS & I've also read that they mold their torso sections with a little extra in spots for us 'Husky' types. Any & all advice is appreciated!

BTW- do you have a link to your build thread?

Edited by BigStick
  • Like 1

LOL Well, given your size, probably any of the armors will work, given your height and weight. You'll likely need to shim the midsection, which isn't huge deal (as you can read in my build thread). Depending on how "husky" your arms and legs are, you may need to expand them, as well, only one way to find out!

AP, AM, RT-Mod... any of the good vetted manufacturers will likely work for you, even Anovos. You're not THAT far out of "spec". Sounds like we're similar: We just like to enjoy life a bit more than is ideal for a svelte waistline. ;)

Here's the link you requested: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35552-kmans-anovos-tk-adventure-build/

Feel free to ask questions, and good luck! Hope to see you out there trooping soon. ;)

Edited by kman

Ok, next Q. I've been looking, but havent seen any Sandtrooper builds. Is there a dedicated thread/ section?
Am I just missing it?

Edited by BigStick

Sand troopers are not part of this detachment. They are part of the Most Eisley Police Department , or MEPD. You'll find builds and sand trooper specific help there . Many here have one both.

Well, back when I met my wife 25 years ago I was a svelte yet muscular 6'-2". Think Brad Pitt in "Troy". In the time hence she has beaten me down to 5'-10", and about 215 pounds give or take a doughnut. Holding on to my 34" waist by the skin 'o' my teeth. I no longer resemble Brad, but only because that dude just hasn't aged well.

I'm looking closely at AP Armor. Have heard nothing but good things, plus the guy who makes it is also named Mark :jc_doublethumbup: I think I prefer the heavy-duty nature of ABS & I've also read that they mold their torso sections with a little extra in spots for us 'Husky' types. Any & all advice is appreciated!

BTW- do you have a link to your build thread?

You wife cut 4 inches of height? Harsh .

Is that 34 pants or a tape measure? And around gut at navel and around chest is important.

Well thats rather heartbreaking :huh:

I guess just because I wear a size 34 waist doesn't mean I have a 34" waist. Tape says I'm 37" at the belly button. Chest is is still a solid 44" of rock-hard gristle.

Thanks sylverbard. The last vestiges of my youth just died today.

BTW, thanks for the info on the MEPD, I'm gonna head over there now :salute:

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD, enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the FISD, enjoy the ride.

Thanks! Love the enthusiasm of all the folks on this site. Soooo much creativity  :)

On a side note: Anybody have an in at the MEPD? I tried to sign up but got an error message. Tried to Email the admins but so far have gotten no response.

MEPD has been having some issues processing new signups since they migrated to the new forum software. Existing accounts seem to be ok (I just popped over there and it's definitely up). Perhaps shoot Darth Aloha a PM here on FISD?

Edited by kman

Well thats rather heartbreaking :huh:

I guess just because I wear a size 34 waist doesn't mean I have a 34" waist. Tape says I'm 37" at the belly button. Chest is is still a solid 44" of rock-hard gristle.

Thanks sylverbard. The last vestiges of my youth just died today.

BTW, thanks for the info on the MEPD, I'm gonna head over there now :salute:

Better dying vestiges than armour that won't fit :-)

MEPD has been having some issues processing new signups since they migrated to the new forum software. Existing accounts seem to be ok (I just popped over there and it's definitely up). Perhaps shoot Darth Aloha a PM here on FISD?

How do I PM a member? I know I can do it if I click in one of their posts, but without that in front of me, is there an idiot-proof way to find & PM them?

Edit: Okay, searched & found him, tried to send a PM, but got an error message saying Darth was unable to receive new messages. Any chance you could give him a heads up a new member wants in?

Edited by BigStick

How do I PM a member? I know I can do it if I click in one of their posts, but without that in front of me, is there an idiot-proof way to find & PM them?

Edit: Okay, searched & found him, tried to send a PM, but got an error message saying Darth was unable to receive new messages. Any chance you could give him a heads up a new member wants in?

I posted in a support thread on your behalf, and pasted a link to this thread. Hopefully someone will be in touch with you (here) before long, to help get you set up at MEPD. Good luck!