Jump to content
Dark CMF

Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Recommended Posts

On 9/20/2018 at 1:42 PM, 11b30b4 said:

I would also like to mention (in case someone does not know) there are two groups/ companies working vacuum formed Rogue One TK kits. The first is NaturalBornDT and his group The DarkSide Closet and 850 Armor works. The other company is Head Shot Props (HSP). both of these kits look promising and I will be getting one or both kits. These kits should not have some of the issues noted with the fibergalss kit but they may have other issues. I will not know until I get my hands on them. So for people to be able to produce kits for us, there needs to be a standard that does not go through frequent revisions. If we make too many changes, these kits will never get made and we will be as limited as we currently are. Now that Solo has come and gone, perhaps someone will get their hands on one of the Solo TKs and we can learn a lot from it (fingers crossed). 

 

While we are talking about other kits, I contacted HSP and asked about rubber shoulder straps like the clone armor guys have as well as Rogue One versions of rubber handguards. They are looking into making these for the Rogue One TK kits and as an add on for other ROTK kits like Jim's kit. As far as CRLs are concerned, if these rubber options look the same as the existing stuff, I see no reason they would not be approved by 501st/ FISD. As long as we do not restrict them in the CRLs they should be allowed. 

I will be eagerly awaiting your verdict on the Head Shot Props Rogue One TK kit. I read your entire build and noted how you had some issues with the fibreglass. I saw that kit on Etsy and was unsure whether it could pass muster. 

 

On a sidenote, is there a spot on the forum that critiques ABS vs fibreglass for armour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Imperial Valour said:

I will be eagerly awaiting your verdict on the Head Shot Props Rogue One TK kit. I read your entire build and noted how you had some issues with the fibreglass. I saw that kit on Etsy and was unsure whether it could pass muster. 

 

On a sidenote, is there a spot on the forum that critiques ABS vs fibreglass for armour?

I've worked with both armor types and I'd personally go ABS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imperial Valour, you may want to message 850 Armor Works and HSP to get a time frame on when these will be available. I paid for a chest plate and ammo belt with 850 last year before DragonCon and have still not received them. When I contact them they say they are still working on the bucks. They have offered to refund me but I am fine to wait. However, I still have no idea when (if ever) I will see my parts.

 

I do not think anyone has done a comparison between the flexible fiberglass and the ABS. I will say that I have vacuum formed Mandalorian armor in both ABS and HIPS. Comparing the three materials, the ABS seems the most resilient. In my experience, the flexible fiberglass will crack at stress points if it is flexed often (like putting it on and taking it off). Additionally, since the fiberglass must be painted, the paint can crack when flexed as well. I used automotive paint so that is not a huge issue with me but I would think that spray paint would crack when flexed.

 

ABS vs HIPS. Originally the standard TK was formed with HIPS (I believe); however, many formers are now using ABS because of the cost. For example, a 4’x8’ sheet of 1/8” thick (.125) HIPS is $55.60, where a 4’x8’ sheet of 1/8” thick (.125) ABS is $35.20 from my supplier (Calsak Plastics). However, the ABS is not smooth on both sides. One side has a hammered finish (textured like a truck bed liner) and even if I form the armor with the smooth side up, the detail of the texture side comes through. This can be sanded but it would take a lot of work to make a TK kit with this textured stuff. Calsak can order both side smooth Abs but you must purchase a whole pallet of 100 sheets for this and that is a lot of cash. I know 850 is using the smooth both side ABS so their armor should be good to go. Another down side of the ABS is that it is mostly available in black. HIPS is glossy white and therefore no need to paint but most ABS armor will need to be painted.

 

Using Abs for Mando armor is not an issue since we mark up most of our kits to look extensively battle worn so the texture is more of a benefit than a hindrance. The last Mando kit I built I used a combination of Abs and Sentra. Sentra is a not a vacuum forming plastic, but you can shape it with a heat gun, so for Mandalorian armor it is idea and I have been very impressed with it. Hope this helps.

 

Ukswrath, agreed, I prefer ABS for vacuum forming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 11b30b4 said:

Imperial Valour, you may want to message 850 Armor Works and HSP to get a time frame on when these will be available. I paid for a chest plate and ammo belt with 850 last year before DragonCon and have still not received them. When I contact them they say they are still working on the bucks. They have offered to refund me but I am fine to wait. However, I still have no idea when (if ever) I will see my parts.

 

I do not think anyone has done a comparison between the flexible fiberglass and the ABS. I will say that I have vacuum formed Mandalorian armor in both ABS and HIPS. Comparing the three materials, the ABS seems the most resilient. In my experience, the flexible fiberglass will crack at stress points if it is flexed often (like putting it on and taking it off). Additionally, since the fiberglass must be painted, the paint can crack when flexed as well. I used automotive paint so that is not a huge issue with me but I would think that spray paint would crack when flexed.

 

ABS vs HIPS. Originally the standard TK was formed with HIPS (I believe); however, many formers are now using ABS because of the cost. For example, a 4’x8’ sheet of 1/8” thick (.125) HIPS is $55.60, where a 4’x8’ sheet of 1/8” thick (.125) ABS is $35.20 from my supplier (Calsak Plastics). However, the ABS is not smooth on both sides. One side has a hammered finish (textured like a truck bed liner) and even if I form the armor with the smooth side up, the detail of the texture side comes through. This can be sanded but it would take a lot of work to make a TK kit with this textured stuff. Calsak can order both side smooth Abs but you must purchase a whole pallet of 100 sheets for this and that is a lot of cash. I know 850 is using the smooth both side ABS so their armor should be good to go. Another down side of the ABS is that it is mostly available in black. HIPS is glossy white and therefore no need to paint but most ABS armor will need to be painted.

 

Using Abs for Mando armor is not an issue since we mark up most of our kits to look extensively battle worn so the texture is more of a benefit than a hindrance. The last Mando kit I built I used a combination of Abs and Sentra. Sentra is a not a vacuum forming plastic, but you can shape it with a heat gun, so for Mandalorian armor it is idea and I have been very impressed with it. Hope this helps.

 

Ukswrath, agreed, I prefer ABS for vacuum forming.

So per a conversation with both sellers through Etsy, here is a status update on Rogue One TK armour for both stores. 850 Armor Works estimates that kits will ready by late spring and said they will begin posting updates on Facebook later on this month. HSP has finished the helmet and is working on the armour, no timeline was given.

I was already on the fence about the fibreglass so I will wait for these ABS kits to come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Imperial Valour said:

So per a conversation with both sellers through Etsy, here is a status update on Rogue One TK armour for both stores. 850 Armor Works estimates that kits will ready by late spring and said they will begin posting updates on Facebook later on this month. HSP has finished the helmet and is working on the armour, no timeline was given.

I was already on the fence about the fibreglass so I will wait for these ABS kits to come out.

For the record it's just a matter of preference for me, I'm not discounting the fiberglass. Every kit has it's pros and cons ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding, I was considering making my own vacuum formed kit but getting the smooth both side ABS is way too expensive for me. I noticed that I forgot to mention that 1 4'x8' sheet will produce (roughly) 1 set of ANH TK armor. As for the ROTK armor, I was able to snag a black series RO helmet off Amazon for $49.00 last year. I plan on modifying it for a ABS armor build once I get the armor. I plan on keeping my Jimmy kit shinny white but the ABS will get weathered. Also, for anyone who does not know, I have made some urethane rubber shoulder straps to replace the fiberglass ones since they cracked last year. I am still perfecting the process but once they are ready for prime time, I will make them available to whomever wants them. More details in my ROTK build thread here on FISD. Not really looking to make money or push sales in anyway, they will go for cost basically and I just wanted to make them available to all who want them.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious if this has been discussed, but I noticed that studio suits used on set for The Mandalorian were not closed at the back of the thigh using velcro, as is called for in the ROTK CRL - they were actually left open, overlapping, and utilized elastic to hold the backs shut, but allowing for flex. Has this been discussed anywhere else? We didn't get an official word, but it was heavily implied that the suits were reused from Solo and/or R1. I have seen the attached photo from CE, and it looks like there is a tiny bit of velcro visible on the right thigh, but what I saw was definitely contrary. Thoughts?

 

28089825530_4face0051a_b.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If additional photos of R1 screen troopers with alternative materials being used were brought forth then most likely a change in the CRL could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

If additional photos of R1 screen troopers with alternative materials being used were brought forth then most likely a change in the CRL could happen.

Gotcha, good point. No photos yet, just observations! Prepare for discussion after the show comes out :) Still lots to learn about the Anthology style TKs...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from the Rogue One Stormtrooper display at Celebration Europe

8c71533cb95cf233fe6376eb79132e9d.jpg

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the armor parts from the Disney-era troopers close at the back with velcro. That includes forearms, biceps, shins, and as you'd expect thighs. However, the system used is difficult for us to recreate as it relies on the use of a flexible material but combined with the benefits of injection molding.

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

None of the armor parts from the Disney-era troopers close at the back with velcro. That includes forearms, biceps, shins, and as you'd expect thighs. However, the system used is difficult for us to recreate as it relies on the use of a flexible material but combined with the benefits of injection molding.

This is in fact false. The shore trooper biceps have been found to contain velcro strips underneath the rear trim, just below the complex elastic string system. There are plenty of closeups of this. Same would most likely go for the stormtroopers, as they have the same undercuts (just different color) and aside from the addition of the thighs, should be no difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Parquette said:

This is in fact false. The shore trooper biceps have been found to contain velcro strips underneath the rear trim, just below the complex elastic string system. There are plenty of closeups of this. Same would most likely go for the stormtroopers, as they have the same undercuts (just different color) and aside from the addition of the thighs, should be no difference. 

Yeah, I remember small tabs of velcro being there for the shins. Not for the biceps though. But in my opinion those are most likely add-ups done after the parts were made in order to simplify and make the closure easier (and maybe more effective too). The 'as designed' closure systems were done in a way that wouldn't require any velcro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...