Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark PWF

Hey Daetrin, is there a possibility I could use primer paint on my tears/trapazoids? The only gray paint I found that matches is model paint (which I used), but the CRL draft says no to hand painting. It's hard to find the right color gray spray paint at the stores I've checked.

Use an airbrush

Oh, and we *will* need really good pictures for the CRL. Jim - would you be able to submit those on a neutral background? We need something high resolution, but that we can easily photoshop.

Or, if someone else has already built Jim's kit, that would work too...

I do have hi res photos.  Let me edit the backgorunds out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I had a few things that I noticed that aren't yet included in the edited CRL on the first page. (Sorry if someone else has pointed these out, I haven't read all 9 pages yet.) (Well I have now, and I struck-out the stuff others have already discussed. Do you think we could get Dark CMF to update the first page with the CRL that Par_ and others have been updating over the last few pages?)

NOTE: All of these photos come gizmodo's article from the Europe Celebration almost exactly one year ago :http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-shiny-new-and-old-stormtroopers-of-rogue-one-1783753515 Being that it was official costumes on display, I figured they worked to show detail. Most all of this can be backed up through some frame-by-frame of the movie itself.

pfy77qjgpumosnl1cudh.png

• Tears under the eyes are raised/cutout! It looks almost like the grey section is an attached layer of plastic, with the black lines actually being recesses in that extra layer.
  • Frown is recessed to the extreme! It looks like the teeth/frown grey plate is actually attached under the plastic of the helmet, as a separate piece.
  • Ear bars are more detailed than listed in CRL. Adding a better reference to give a better description, you can see that the fourth/black bar is actually separately raised from the others. (I saw that this was already pointed out. Still a good reference pic.)

d5ps38xeg97b4ttcgl0k.png

• The Thermal Detonator is colored grey inside the end caps! I actually noticed this while watching the movie, and its really obvious when you go back and watch.(Again, someone pointed this out waay back)

Non CRL Stuff: This photo is great for sizing proportions, and you can see some other details like in the abdomen button plate, a seam on the inside of the boots, and how the drop boxes are flush/equal to the belt boxes.

kokvfr41ota4ytuj2ujv.png

• Bonus Details! Nothing new here, just some shots of other details. Better look at the elbow ridges, more detail on the cover-strips, and a weird attachment on the left thigh that might hint at how things are attached. Also: Backpack details! The CRL should definitely allow for the various backpacks we see used on the beaches. Maybe a Beach TK CRL that is separate, to include the minor weathering, backpacks, and new E-11s?

That's all I had to include. I know I'm still working on my ANH Stunt TK, but I think that a RO Beach TK might be my next project!

I hope this helps!

- The Captain

Edited by The Captain
Pointed out areas that were, well, already pointed out. :P

16 hours ago, Par_ said:

Things like the frown being attached separately are more properly fitting of levels 2 and 3 Imo. 

Oh, yeah totally! If it even needs to be in there. (I suck at assigning levels of detail to things)

Honestly, the frown being a separate piece can probably be overlooked for the CRL itself, cause the effect can be achieved other ways. It is a good detail for those who want as accurate as possible though. And I have a feeling that the tears being raised is easy enough to do without an added piece, but the important thing is how raised they are.

Maybe say L3 for the raised tears, and just mention that the frown can be a separately attached piece from underneath?

- The Captain

I'm gonna need some clarification on this whole bump thing. I've been staring at the helmets for a while and can't put my finger on what you guys mean. 

As far as calling out materials in the CRL such as plastic for the hand guards, wouldn't it be better to just say that the rubber hand guards aren't permitted? Makes it easier on people if they want to make their armor out of fiberglass or cast from resin if they want the higher levels of approval.

• Like 1

OK, I'm adding...

L3: Inside each tear will be a raised area that is grey, with the black lines being engraved, not painted.
L3: Frown is recessed to the proper depth compared to ANH.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, cjkirk11 said:

I'm gonna need some clarification on this whole bump thing. I've been staring at the helmets for a while and can't put my finger on what you guys mean. 

As far as calling out materials in the CRL such as plastic for the hand guards, wouldn't it be better to just say that the rubber hand guards aren't permitted? Makes it easier on people if they want to make their armor out of fiberglass or cast from resin if they want the higher levels of approval.

There is a bump located on the bottom of the left eye, like the OT helmets. However it is much more smooth and is very subtle. However in a handful of angle shots you can see it. 

In this one you can see how the right eye slopes down, while the left one has an obtuse angle shape. 

images of rogue one stormtrooper display

Hey Daetrin, I noticed on the shins part that the old method of assembling them is required for level 3. However this is not accurate.

At the top is the trim that runs along it, but there is no seam present directly in the middle. And the shins in the back I'm certain overlap to enclose the wearer's leg. 

I still don't understand why are we considering "extremely subtle "swoop" shape, or a bump on the bottom" in the CRL. This is an armor personality trait similar to that of OTTK armor which is loaded with them yet are not included in CRLs. IMO this bump or swoop would be an element mentioned at a SWAT level, if we had such a thing here. Point being, every other component in the L3 section could be picked up even by a novice looking at a photo, the swoop not so much.

2 cents 

• Like 1

FYI I'm making the shim update in about 10 minutes.  As Tony points out, there are *tons* of details we don't put in the regular CRLs.  I'll probably cull some out unless they are needed at L2/L3.

We are bending over backwards a bit because we want to ensure that people are not taking an ANH kit and trying to cut corners.  I mean they could, but we are really steering them towards getting an R1 kit from the get go.

Kinda like you could take an ANH kit and go ROTJ but it's a lot of work & modification (ask our original CRL models!), but you could also just get a CFO...

42 minutes ago, Par_ said:

Hey Daetrin, I noticed on the shins part that the old method of assembling them is required for level 3. However this is not accurate.

At the top is the trim that runs along it, but there is no seam present directly in the middle. And the shins in the back I'm certain overlap to enclose the wearer's leg. 

Do you have a good picture of this? I want to ensure I have it right before updating the wording.

6 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

FYI I'm making the shim update in about 10 minutes.  As Tony points out, there are *tons* of details we don't put in the regular CRLs.  I'll probably cull some out unless they are needed at L2/L3.

We are bending over backwards a bit because we want to ensure that people are not taking an ANH kit and trying to cut corners.  I mean they could, but we are really steering them towards getting an R1 kit from the get go.

Kinda like you could take an ANH kit and go ROTJ but it's a lot of work & modification (ask our original CRL models!), but you could also just get a CFO...

Yea I totally understand why we would add it but I think there's plenty of other details that would make it almost impossible to convert a OTTK to R1. If we go down this road we might be drawn into adding things like "sharp crisp almost 90 degree eye lids" and/or every other section that has very subtle yet extremely high details because of the manufacturing process. These would be great for even a higher level. Again, just throwing out my thoughts.    

4 hours ago, Par_ said:

There is a bump located on the bottom of the left eye, like the OT helmets. However it is much more smooth and is very subtle. However in a handful of angle shots you can see it. 

In this one you can see how the right eye slopes down, while the left one has an obtuse angle shape. 

Are you talking about the area directly under the lenses not being symmetrical on both eyes?

Yup, that's the area! 

And Daetrin, the full body picture further up the page in a quoted post by The Captain show what I mean. In that situation an overlap method is one of the best options for achieving that same look, seeing as how a makers like to make these parts in halves.  

One final note: In the Level 3 requirement for the Sniper Knee plate, it says it must be lined up with the trim at the top. From my observation of displays, it's not exactly lined up. It's always placed a little bit below the trim line. This could help with mobility and keeping it from sticking up the thigh easily (depending on how it's set up. I thought I saw a behind the scenes photo where a trooper's knee guard was up his thigh).

Also I think for Level 2 or 3 we should make it a requirement that the lenses on the helmet have a slight bubble shape, it's very subtle however. Like in the pictures below:

search

The first picture also shows that the shoulder straps are slightly rounded at the edges, so maybe for Levels 2 and 3? It's easy on the Jim Tripon armor (I have his chest/back armor) to sand down the edges because the fiberglass is soft.

Edited by Par_
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 1:16 PM, Par_ said:

Yeah, if you look at my pics earlier in the thread, it looks like ALL of the leg armor has perfect seams on the front edges. Even the thighs (Look just above the sniper knee plate) don't have any sort of seam in the bottom edge. Maybe the edge rims are separate pieces as well? (Put on like a cover-strip?)

On 7/12/2017 at 10:26 AM, Par_ said:

One final note: In the Level 3 requirement for the Sniper Knee plate, it says it must be lined up with the trim at the top. From my observation of displays, it's not exactly lined up. The "trim" on the knee plate is not as tall as the trim on the shin itself, causing the trim on the shin to stick out a little bit. 

I second this. It's visible in the pictures I posted and the ones Par_ linked.

On 7/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, ukswrath said:

Yea I totally understand why we would add it but I think there's plenty of other details that would make it almost impossible to convert a OTTK to R1. If we go down this road we might be drawn into adding things like "sharp crisp almost 90 degree eye lids" and/or every other section that has very subtle yet extremely high details because of the manufacturing process. These would be great for even a higher level. Again, just throwing out my thoughts.    

YES. I definitely think that we need to be careful. But, I also think that we're doing good by cataloging every detail we come across. We just need to sit down, probably at the end, and separate the items that are CRL worthy versus total accuracy detail. I agree that the eyelid warp thing is probably best left completely out of the CRL, but we should address that its there.

Proof and point: the ANH TK famous bicep thumb print. Nowhere listed in the CRL, not even for centurion. But everyone knows it's there, and is looked for during the extremely high accuracy checks.

- The Captain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain said:

YES. I definitely think that we need to be careful. But, I also think that we're doing good by cataloging every detail we come across. We just need to sit down, probably at the end, and separate the items that are CRL worthy versus total accuracy detail. I agree that the eyelid warp thing is probably best left completely out of the CRL, but we should address that its there.

Proof and point: the ANH TK famous bicep thumb print. Nowhere listed in the CRL, not even for centurion. But everyone knows it's there, and is looked for during the extremely high accuracy checks.

- The Captain

I'm all in favor of cataloging every detail, as well as discussing whether certain details actually need to be in a CRL and why. If that discussion is held prior to concreting a CRL as I'm sure it will, then sign me up ;)

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

I'm all in favor of cataloging every detail, as well as discussing whether certain details actually need to be in a CRL and why. If that discussion is held prior to concreting a CRL as I'm sure it will, then sign me up ;)

Idea: Lets take our current "working CRL" list that I've seen posted a couple of times and just explode it with every individual little detail that we've found. And I mean EVERYTHING. As full and complete as possible, even with (approximated) measurements if we can. Even backpacks and stuff, differences in pauldrons, anything to do with those troopers.

Take that finalized super-specific list and save it, copy it, and only then then work on boiling it down to the necessary CRL details. That'll be where we assign L1, 2, 3 stuff, what details aren't necessary for trooping, what build methods are allowed, add-on and accessory items, etc.

Obviously, we've done some work on CRL levels already, and we should note that and reference it later. (I'm not saying start from scratch) But maybe put any further discussion of how it fits into the CRL on pause until we finish detailing out the full costume? I know we're really close, so there shouldn't be too much left to analyze.

And like I said, its just an idea.

- The Captain

(P.S. - ukswrath, a thousand thanks for your ANOVOS TK guide: it is the biggest help to me for my kit.)

If we are gonna go down the road of every detail being categorized and determined if it will make it's way into the CRL, we might never get around to having a working copy lol. There are just so many little things. I am all for the idea but I would like to get mine approved sometime this year ;).

A couple things I want to add to the discussion is that in the scenes where stormtroopers are doing stunts to where they are being flipped or have a chance to land on their backs, they aren't wearing thermal detonators. A really good shot of this is when they are fighting Chirrut on Jedha. So will we have a "stunt version" where the TD is optional?

Also are we going to go into detail as far as pack/pauldron/blaster combos that are acceptable?

chirrut-jedha-stormtroopers.jpg

Edited by cjkirk11

I would think you have to keep the thermal detonator mandatory.  After all they were only removed in the movie to keep someone from getting hurt. And was not supposed to be noticed.  T K s have a thermal detonator. They just don't look right without it.  Just sayin.