Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Darthcue, I have not seen a good picture of the holster so I am unsure what exactly the holster looks like; however, a simple google search for ASP baton holster should provide quite a large selection to choose from. Unless they made the holsters for Rogue One exclusively for the movie, I would think that the holster was an off the shelf purchase just like the ASP baton. and the M300 flashlights on all the guns.

I already have my holster but it is not made of leather as the CRL states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, darthcue said:

I already have my holster but it is not made of leather as the CRL states.

Do you or anyone else have a good picture of the holster used in the movie? If so please post it or point me to a link and I will see if I can identify who its made by and where to get it if its off the shelf. If its not, I am sure I can make you one as long as I have an idea of how it looks.

• Like 1

Do you or anyone else have a good picture of the holster used in the movie? If so please post it or point me to a link and I will see if I can identify who its made by and where to get it if its off the shelf. If its not, I am sure I can make you one as long as I have an idea of how it looks.

I have no clear picture of the holster. But i made made mine from the holster that came with my baton and modded with gopro strap and velcro.

b104a9d67873de659b60dd299e91b779.jpg

Darthcue, is it supposed to be segmented like the one in your picture? In actual law enforcement we use the ASP break-free holster.

DRZ4ZmV.jpg

ASP makes a leather holster that is not break-free and all that would need to be done is removing or cutting off the mounting strap and attaching a longer mounting strap made of leather to match.

Ex7cBsn.jpg

And there are a ton of cheap options for a simple leather holster like this one from DeSantis available on Amazon, ebay and law enforcement supply stores.

5QIDBDW.jpg

However, without seeing how the one from RO looks, I can only assume that they used a simple design. Most of the off-brand batons come with a nylon holster similar to these in shape and appearance. There is also a large selection of kydex holsters out there. I am curious why the CRLs state leather without any real source images? As we have seen with other magazine pouches, nylon seems to be used just as frequently as leather for a lot of this stuff.

• Like 1

Darthcue, is it supposed to be segmented like the one in your picture? In actual law enforcement we use the ASP break-free holster.

DRZ4ZmV.jpg

ASP makes a leather holster that is not break-free and all that would need to be done is removing or cutting off the mounting strap and attaching a longer mounting strap made of leather to match.

Ex7cBsn.jpg

And there are a ton of cheap options for a simple leather holster like this one from DeSantis available on Amazon, ebay and law enforcement supply stores.

5QIDBDW.jpg

However, without seeing how the one from RO looks, I can only assume that they used a simple design. Most of the off-brand batons come with a nylon holster similar to these in shape and appearance. There is also a large selection of kydex holsters out there. I am curious why the CRLs state leather without any real source images? As we have seen with other magazine pouches, nylon seems to be used just as frequently as leather for a lot of this stuff.

The segmented parts of my holster is just a random mash-up to hold the gopro strap so i can attach it to the belt. On one of the screencaps from the movie there seem to be a silver part showing on the holster? What could it be?

Well, I think the silver part is the exposed tip of the baton. Even if the baton is black, the paint will wear with use and the tip and opening ring on the business end of the baton will become bare metal. In this picture the ring and tip are seen on the left side. This ASP has a nickel/ stainless finish called electroless but even if it was black, you would eventually see the tip and ring. The other end is the butt of the baton and normally has a black bap but there are a ton of different end caps available. Some with flash lights or spikes for breaking automobile windows etc… The grip in the center is normally foam.

GEzhfB2.jpg

I logged onto Netflix and snagged a few screen captures. The quality is not that great and I have not noticed the batons on any other TK except in the detention scenes. The yellow circle is the baton exposed tip of the baton and it is bare metal or stainless.

9u7ewIx.jpg

H0UarQv.jpg

4fiK6XA.jpg

ATC98qj.jpg

I am still not able to make out any real detail of the holster except that the tip of the baton protrudes from the bottom of the holster and it looks like the holster and baton are swinging freely as the TK spins due to the door of the transport being blown open. This may be because of how the holster is attach to the belt.

9u7ewIx.jpg

H0UarQv.jpg

4fiK6XA.jpg

ATC98qj.jpg

I am thinking that the holster is something more like this with an open bottom. I am still not convinced that the holster is leather but there is no reason this holster could not be made of leather rather than nylon. This is from here: https://www.police-supplies.co.uk/expandable-baton-holder-c

W7UX8yo.jpg

Until we get some production pictures, behind the scenes pictures, or someone can enhance a 4K or blu-ray scene from the movies. I do not think we will ever truly know.

Edited by 11b30b4
  • Like 1

I could even see them using something like this although its not very secure. It would explain why there seems to so much of the baton exposed in the above screen captures.

NZCKl4e.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 11b30b4 said:

I could even see them using something like this although its not very secure. It would explain why there seems to so much of the baton exposed in the above screen captures.

NZCKl4e.jpg

I think this holster would be like the one use in the movie with the tip of the baton not covered? 

FYI, I'll be updating the CRL language to have these changes at L3 first.  As we refine them and standard the part we can push them to L2 and then L1 as needed.  Sound OK?

We could really use some good pix that everyone agrees to are the 'best' for the CRL.

• Like 1

Parquette, Interesting…

Here is a shot from the Solo movie. Looks like it is an expandable baton like the ASP with possibly a different end cap. The holster looks like it’s a kydex holster not leather or nylon. I do not know if this is the same type holster used in Rogue One and simply painted black?

IblCPWY.jpg

Daetrin, Sounds good to me. I really don’t have a dog in this fight since I am not planning on wearing the baton but I agree we need to see better pics of the baton holster used in Rogue One. I would even suggest that in the absence of a better source we remove the Level 2 and 3 and holster language all together and simply state that eh holster must be black until we can better verify its actual construction.

• Like 1

According to this pic the holster is very different. However, the same metal ring on the ends and in the middle of the baton are present, which is what makes me think these are possibly the same.

4fiK6XA.jpg

• Like 1

It's one of those situations that need more clear reference which may not happen with Rogue One being 2 years old now.

At present it's up to interpretation of how it may look.

2 hours ago, Sheet Ouse said:

Hey were do you by storm trooper armor

Have a read through the Getting Started section

• 1 month later...

Gentleman, it has come to my attention that there are a few issues the level 2 and 3 CRLs. As I am a newly approved ROTK and new to the 501st. I am unclear where to go expect here to have these issues address and evaluated. I am interested in seeking EIB and Centurion however all of my armor has been assembled using the overlap method rather than the butt-joint and cover strip method. This is the only way to construct this armor since the cover strips are molded into the armor.

Currently only Jimmiroquai is producing the ROTK kit and the overlap method used in the construction of his armor. It is designed to give the appearance of the butt-joint and cover strip but it is clearly the overlap method. I do not know about his other kits such as the death and shore troopers but the TK kit is designed this way.

The two areas of concern are:

Biceps:

-Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Forearms:

-Forearms must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Please advise me on how to have these issues address or removed from the CRLs.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 10:06 AM, 11b30b4 said:

Gentleman, it has come to my attention that there are a few issues the level 2 and 3 CRLs. As I am a newly approved ROTK and new to the 501st. I am unclear where to go expect here to have these issues address and evaluated. I am interested in seeking EIB and Centurion however all of my armor has been assembled using the overlap method rather than the butt-joint and cover strip method. This is the only way to construct this armor since the cover strips are molded into the armor.

Currently only Jimmiroquai is producing the ROTK kit and the overlap method used in the construction of his armor. It is designed to give the appearance of the butt-joint and cover strip but it is clearly the overlap method. I do not know about his other kits such as the death and shore troopers but the TK kit is designed this way.

The two areas of concern are:

Biceps:

-Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Forearms:

-Forearms must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Please advise me on how to have these issues address or removed from the CRLs.

Working on some details regarding the CRL is the reason for your app hold up. 

10 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Working on some details regarding the CRL is the reason for your app hold up. 

Ear bumps and tube stripe questions are fixed.  

As for the biceps & forearms, if there is a clear screen cap to show that they are using overlap, then it's an easy fix to the CRL.  It's been ages since I last looked at this, so if someone is willing to play detective... :)

• Like 1

For the baton, I see no evidence that it has to be telescoping, and agree that it's most likely the one like the patrol trooper.  I'd like to udpate the CRL to reflect this, and also allow cordura for the hoslter, as again it's not clear at all that this has to be leather.  Plus, I'll add a note about the silver tip being visible on the bottom.  Any objections?  And, if somone can get me a clear pix of one, that would be ideal, as the CRL shows the telescoping one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

Ear bumps and tube stripe questions are fixed.  

As for the biceps & forearms, if there is a clear screen cap to show that they are using overlap, then it's an easy fix to the CRL.  It's been ages since I last looked at this, so if someone is willing to play detective... :)

823562495_bicepforearm.JPG.49745631fad83c604e130e6d6c62ee67.JPG1667395502_biceps2.JPG.40d5754f1f2ede26c9ddb513b95e9af1.JPG

biceps 4].JPG1450605105_forearm3.JPG.c5ac424dca68f0e881422ca732a7cfd1.JPG1495583402_forearm5.JPG.de492405228dbcc6c34ff18dc9328c12.JPG

• Like 1

Another possible change. I could be wrong but I think the hovis have black interiors. Anyone have photo that states otherwise?

2123066210_ROhovitips.JPG.41b1549fda71546066d81448426d98b8.JPG

I totally agree with the hovi mics interior being black.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 11b30b4 said:

Could just be the lighting but they could be. What color are the black series helmets?

That definately is a possibility though the CRLs are generally based off canon prop photos or screen shots, not toys ;)