Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

EDIT: This is Daetrin.  The draft CRL can be found here:

https://origin-wiki.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rogue_one

Rather than keeping both places updated, I'm just updating the one on the wiki.

NOTE!  This is *NOT APPROVED*.  Until photos are added & the CRL is signed off by the LMO, it is not yet an approvable costume.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Two hi-res pictures I saw today.  Spotted a few differences, hopefully it helps...

------------------

------------------

Noted differences I spotted:

• Helmets not have notches for the blue lines around the side.
  • Teeth look a bit narrower than ANH TK.
  • Hands have ANH style guards.  They might be solid as all the pictures seem to have them in roughly the same shape.
  • E-11 has something new to the right side of it... flashlight?
  • Thermal Detonator covers are gray on the inside.
  • Cover strips are a triangular shape (not looking forward to making those...)
  • Codpiece looks detached now.
  • First Order style gasket under the knee?
  • Ab detail is different... notch at the top now.
  • Ab/Kidney connection seems to be raised and at an angle.
  • Forearms have square notches
Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Is there any hopes of our anh's esb's or rotj's being modded to fit the crtieria of this? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have been absent from class for a bit.

I'm going to say no. The changes are simply too numerous and significant!

I'd agree. I'd have thought there would be way too many structural differences to make a conversion possible.

I'm really of the opinion that converting a current ANH/OT kit to meet the eventual R1 TK standard is really just a bridge too far for most builders.  

Outside of the potential for adding on the detail pieces, the shapes of most parts are very different, especially the ab/kidney seam and the assembly of the parts on the back.

The R1 TK is a significant leap in design in many ways, when compared to the OT TKs.

Just my $0.02, for what it's worth.  ;)

• Like 4

I'm really of the opinion that converting a current ANH/OT kit to meet the eventual R1 TK standard is really just a bridge too far for most builders.

Outside of the potential for adding on the detail pieces, the shapes of most parts are very different, especially the ab/kidney seam and the assembly of the parts on the back.

The R1 TK is a significant leap in design in many ways, when compared to the OT TKs.

Just my $0.02, for what it's worth. ;)

I agree Tim, maybe only good for some rough size and scaling, other than that, the only way to get those sharp details in ABS would be to use negative pulls and machined negative bucks. Of course the Beaty of that is also more even and consistent pulls.

I know a local guy that has constructed a negative vac former for small pieces and the results are awesome. He makes BTTF bits and pieces not really SW stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So far, the helmet has a unique shape that should be noted in the CRL. This is what I am thinking.

Helmet:

Overall shape: The dome will slightly taper up in the back. This is part of what gives it it's overall shape. The sides will be straight and even with the dome, and the dome ever so slightly over laps it.0

Paint: Shall be painted with a gloss black.

Neck hole: It has a rubber seal along the trim of the neck hole, just like the OT-TK. (I may have seen this upon looking at reference other people posted. I could have been looking at something else)

Lights: The 2 green lights in front will be rectangular shaped lights that that are very round on the ends. They are gloss black like the helmet, with dark green lenses.

Eye lenses will also be green. Same shade of green as the lights in the front.

Edited by Par_

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Any thoughts on R1 pauldrons? Same, similar or different than existing ones? Thinking of the black and orange versions seen so far from R1. Who makes among the best existing ones?

Well I purchased a black one from Jay Parsons on the MEPD, and now waiting for it to arrive. He makes the best paudrons in the legion IMHO. I'm hoping it's close to the DT. If not I'll alter it as needed. 

• Like 1

Shoulder strap connection from back to chest plate is longer than ANH TK version...

--------------

RS Propmasters TK

--------------

R1 TK

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if I'm just seeing things or just don't know enough about TK's but the R1 TK forearm pieces have 12 notches. That RS Propmasters TK above only has 11.

Typically, there will be a variable number of notches, because that piece can (and in some instances likely will) be cut to fit the wearer.  There may be a "normal range" of them listed, but based on individual size, that will vary.

As for what we need for this discussion in order to develop the CRL, is just what we've seen so far, people sharing reference photos that they find, and discussion about the various parts, and what sets this costume apart from the other TK costumes that are already in the CRL list.

Let's keep it going, and eventually, as we get more and better references, we'll get some content in that first post.  

Thanks, everyone!!

The gaskets look different than FOTK to me.  FOTK is based on a rubber look (or rubber-like).  These look like another material, as well as the ribbing being more narrow than FOTK.  Others may have a differing opinion on the material.

Edit: I see there's a gaskets thread...never mind  :P

Edited by Rookhelm

It looks like the shoulder straps are actually wedge shaped as they connect to the chest as opposed to a flat cut on the OT.

As someone else pointed out those cover strips look like they would be a pain to make and install.