Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Now back to business,
 I know it’s been brought up here already before but the SOLO movie and The Mandalorian  on Disney+ both utilize this exact same costume for both productions.

Have we considered applying the same single CRL to multiple movies/tv show productions?
(“Disney Era Stormtrooper”) or would it be easier to simply copy the HTML code from the page and just create new links for SOLO and The Mandalorian on the FISD CRL directory?

Edited by SlyFox740

4 hours ago, SlyFox740 said:

Now back to business,
 I know it’s been brought up here already before but the SOLO movie and The Mandalorian  on Disney+ both utilize this exact same costume for both productions.

Have we considered applying the same single CRL to multiple movies/tv show productions?
(“Disney Era Stormtrooper”) or would it be easier to simply copy the HTML code from the page and just create new links for SOLO and The Mandalorian on the FISD CRL directory?

Mando has a couple of differences so may end up as the Remanent Stormtrooper and it's own CRL. Solo, if it is the same may just be an add on the the R1. If they carried slightly different weapons they could be covered in an addition to the weapons accessories in the same way we are considering the TroS FO trooper as it is the same armour as TLJ with a different weapons load out.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would like to propose the following OPTIONAL blaster for the CRL

Since this is the same trooper used for both The Mandalorian and Solo, I believe there should be some optional accessories from those that can be chosen from as well. 

Shown here are stormtroopers in the Mandalorian armed with E-22B blasters, typically used more for Shoretroopers, but as you can see TK's have them as well. 

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fimg1.looper.com%2Fimg%2Fgallery%2Fthe-mandalorian-what-chapter-11-reveals-about-the-state-of-the-empire%2Fintro-1605315805.jpg&hash=d11e4e7dcec619f4b1d16e1ad2739628

Mandalorian, The - Season 2 - Internet Movie Firearms ...

ta8TS7X.jpg

CQ7rFBb.jpg

Also of note is this Hot Toys commander with the same blaster: 

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS™ THE MANDALORIAN ...

I propose we use the blaster requirements from the Shoretrooper CRL, and simply copy and paste for now unless a clearer distinction is found. 

Edited by Parquette
  • Like 3

There's been mention of a few details which may be different between R1, Mandalorian and Solo so more research will have to be done, it's not just a case of presumption and adding to a CRL ;) 

Currently the team are working on TLJ/TLJE so may be some time before we can address other CRL's 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There's been mention of a few details which may be different between R1, Mandalorian and Solo so more research will have to be done, it's not just a case of presumption and adding to a CRL ;) 

Currently the team are working on TLJ/TLJE so may be some time before we can address other CRL's 

It's literally the same suits, almost 100% forsure. There IS now a second generation of suits with tweaked material, but they looked to be the exact same molds and assembly as well. Only one substantive change I'm aware of, and it's already been noticed, so I'll support its inclusion when the time is right to discuss it.

But I absolutely agree that the E-22 and SE-14R should be available accessories and can use the CRL text from other detachments where they are already optional. Should be an easy inclusion since the sources are clear and plentiful, and the CRL text is already written and approved, but I'll defer to Sly as to how things work around here.

Edited by TheRascalKing

To further add fuel to the fire, here's a BTS pic from the Imperial HQ in Solo. Notice to the far right is another E22 leaning against a crystal patrol backpack. If I recall, no shoretroopers are in this scene in the film. 

May be a black-and-white image of one or more people

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

SE-14R detail

321137281_693455652409099_6640473262423373686_n.thumb.jpg.d589b8e4bf9f4b174b568117143c1360.jpg

Weird cut outs on backplate

321346362_886873452727698_8693972553501051971_n.jpg.b261ae25b4ea1af5742402a83f2cacf9.jpg

Good catch on the SE-14R Glen. Those are the details from the Rogue One Deathtrooper blasters, so I guess it makes sense. The Spec Ops CRL calls this a "small silver or gray circuit card pattern," which reminds me that I need to find or make one for my blaster.
Regarding those cutouts... who knows. I would figure it's some sort of stunt item that didn't get filled in post production. What's interesting is that immediately after K2SO throws him, the cutouts seem to disappear. My guess is that this is likely the part of the armor that cables passed through to attach to a stunt harness for the lifting sequence. That's total speculation on my part, but the other TKs that get thwacked by this unfortunate guy don't have the same cutouts.

4HlrxTE.jpg

Here he is getting thrown. It's blurry, but the cut outs seem to be gone.

fI0xAVs.jpg

Here's the second trooper that gets blasted by the ragdoll.

AcHh228.jpg

And here they are when they first walk in the room.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding this info here so I don't loose it.

One thing I hadn't noticed previously is the position of the rear covers strips, they are not central to the thigh or shin as we have with OTTK's.

You can see in the following images the shin coverstrip starts at the end of the ridge (outside). But the thigh has a gap from the thigh lower ridge end to the coverstrip (outside ). Also note the cut of the thigh bottom (mobility cut) is cured, while the shin is straight. Another detail was the outside lower ridge is not the same height as the inner lower thigh ridge.

680545354_rotkthighshin1.thumb.jpg.664065039b9a8b2074c4f906c6543f6c.jpg

1369364314_rotkthighshin2.thumb.jpg.0882e817ea53e16ef671fc49083a2e8c.jpg

Also looking through the different series and versions they all appear to have these same placements, something which may need to be added to the CRL at least for one of the higher levels.

155949029_rotkthighshin3.thumb.jpg.f1318fab373a1aab356e18c63f465ffc.jpg

an2.thumb.png.6cc1c73b0ab6b4bd8bd74d2ac50a9c0e.png.869e636d9b0e3b80e2a63cf10d515934.png

Comparison with our 2 EIB approved ROTK's, built to have central coverstrips.

comp.thumb.jpg.84694320582ac13b9da81b2c8531e366.jpg

850 would need some adjustments to the lower thigh ridges as they are square and should be angled. Also square off the shin ridge ends

hinten.jpg.86175a809b62be19c5727bfbd8606b40.jpg

Details our @Deployment Officer Team may want to keep an eye on for future applicants ;) 

• Like 4

Thermal Detonator

• Thigh Armor
    • The thigh armor is mirrored for each leg and not interchangeable.
    • The cover strips are bevelled and approximately 1/8" thick that does not extend beyond the thigh and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.
    • The top edge of the thigh armor is unadorned, and the bottom edge has a raised detail that fallows the bottom edge contour.
    • The small ammo belt consists of 5 evenly spaced rectangle ammunition boxes and is installed on the bottom of the right thigh, there are no visible screws or rivets.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
    • Thighs are loosely held closed in the back with elastic, shock cord (bungee cord) or white Velcro and are designed to remain flexible.
    • Cover strips will cover both the front and rear joints.
    OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
    • The bottom outside edges of the small ammunition belt are angled at approximately 45 degrees.
    • Thigh armor is suspended by a two black straps approximately 1” 25mm in width with a plastic side release buckle that is covered by black webbing or elastic that runs down the side seam of the leg.

mandalorian2.jpg.bbb1b475fc5654c693c4ffbc2adfad18.jpg

201.jpg.6b8150257fcdf33038ca5a9f913bcca8.jpg

celb2.jpg.f8d1a3116e32f8ddae3f16f4f61b09a2.jpg

On 1/11/2023 at 5:53 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Adding this info here so I don't loose it.

One thing I hadn't noticed previously is the position of the rear covers strips, they are not central to the thigh or shin as we have with OTTK's.

You can see in the following images the shin coverstrip starts at the end of the ridge (outside). But the thigh has a gap from the thigh lower ridge end to the coverstrip (outside ). Also note the cut of the thigh bottom (mobility cut) is cured, while the shin is straight. Another detail was the outside lower ridge is not the same height as the inner lower thigh ridge.

680545354_rotkthighshin1.thumb.jpg.664065039b9a8b2074c4f906c6543f6c.jpg

1369364314_rotkthighshin2.thumb.jpg.0882e817ea53e16ef671fc49083a2e8c.jpg

Also looking through the different series and versions they all appear to have these same placements, something which may need to be added to the CRL at least for one of the higher levels.

155949029_rotkthighshin3.thumb.jpg.f1318fab373a1aab356e18c63f465ffc.jpg

an2.thumb.png.6cc1c73b0ab6b4bd8bd74d2ac50a9c0e.png.869e636d9b0e3b80e2a63cf10d515934.png

Comparison with our 2 EIB approved ROTK's, built to have central coverstrips.

comp.thumb.jpg.84694320582ac13b9da81b2c8531e366.jpg

850 would need some adjustments to the lower thigh ridges as they are square and should be angled. Also square off the shin ridge ends

hinten.jpg.86175a809b62be19c5727bfbd8606b40.jpg

Details our @Deployment Officer Team may want to keep an eye on for future applicants ;) 

Glen,
Thanks for posting these pics.
I've been looking at every image I can find of the rear thighs and I believe the reason why these coverstraps are not centrally located and have weird overhangs is a result of the individual trooper's thigh size. As an example, please see the below pictures of my unfinished Jimmiroquai thighs:

PhkNpj8.jpg

In this picture, you can see how I split the rear along the coverstrip to allow the overlapping of the rear thigh. I believe @11b30b4 and @TheRascalKing did the same thing with theirs.

myo9T4n.jpg

I then took a little extra time to file down and sand the edges of the non cover strip side to ensure that when closed, it mimics the images seen in the shows and at Celebration. However, with the show, the one thing we can't account for is the amount of movement the actors were engaging in that may have caused some slippage, nor can we account for the unknown variable; the diameter of their thighs. We can tell that the mannequin's frame was quite small.

In the above picture, I'm attempting to hold the thigh in a manner that simulates the size of my thigh.

hCFyFA6.jpg

When the thigh is somewhat relaxed, or if a person has thiccer thighs, the strip is centered and everything is more aligned.

LmK7hqi.jpg

So, with that said, and per the reference images, the rear cover strip looks as if it should sit roughly 1.5 cm lower and to the left (or right for the opposite thigh) of where it currently sits. This narrows the "slope" between the bottom trim and the cover strip, and when closed, emulates the asymmetrical appearance. My only concern about all this is that similar to other items on this costume, such as the kidney plate discrepancies, we don't know if it was deliberate, or incidental. My thought is that the cover strips were meant to be centered, but the movement and thigh size of the actors caused the asymmetry.

Now, regarding the straps:
I 100% agree that there are two straps on the newer costumes. In Adam Savage's Tested video that showed the Kenobi and Andor 501st Clone Troopers, they highlighted these straps and emphasized that they are now using two straps vice the one strap previously used on TKs. Fast forward to 6:49 for a look at these straps. For the clones, they went back to the ribbed fabric covers:

I'll post these in my build thread once I get back to it, but here's the straps I'm using on my thighs. More to come later:

6o6ylJx.jpg

So what we need to decide is if the ROTK requires two straps, or save the two strap requirement for New Generation CRLs.
The more I look at everything, the more I believe that the ROTK and New Generation (Mandalorian S2, Kenobi, Andor) are totally different costumes. Notice that I don't mention Mandalorian S1, which appears to be retread costumes from Rogue One.

Lastly, one final nugget of information from the Adam Savage video that I immediately held onto is the fact that these costumes are made of vacuum CAST (not vacuum formed) urethane. To me, this is enormous and answers a ton of questions we've had.

Now... if only someone... never mind. ;)

• Like 2

Great work on the updates Jason.

I agree with the thighs, looking at a lot of the references last week you can definitely see it depends on size as to how wide/open the thighs are but one thing which is constant is the position on the thigh and calf align to the outside of the lower ridges.

2 thigh straps have been pretty common place, amazed it hadn't come up before, all comes down to references. 

In regards to the CRL's I believe all the RO base costumes should have the same details across all of them, apart from the obvious things that we know are different. No doubt that conversation will come up once we are ready for the new CRL or have time to revisit the RO CRL for updated.

• 6 months later...

I think its well overdue that we update the image for the gloves on this CRL.

Currently it shows ANH style rubber gloves where we know they wore TFA style gloves albeit all black with black stitching.

Options for language update.

If updating the image, I also believe we should eliminate the rubber gloves language from basic, and just leave Nomex style. (they are closer to the correct style than rubber.

If this change is made we bring the correct style glove into EI and remove level 3, or we simply don't have a lvl 2 and leave correct gloves at lvl 3

The other option is to only have the correct gloves at basic removing lvl 2 and 3 from this section, as we do in other CRL's like the TFA, TLJ

These gloves are readily available and on our Vendors list.

Current CRL

• Black in color, made of either rubber, Nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Gloves shall not be made of rubber.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • The base material of the gloves will be a black synthetic material similar to Lycra, Spandex, Elastane, or Nylon.
  • Palms of gloves shall be shiny black fabric or leather or leather-like material.
  • On the index finger shall be a stitched piece of fabric made from the same material as the hand's underside that while stitched to the finger has one cutout towards the end of the finger that reveals the netted material underneath.
  • Gloves shall have the correct leather pattern along the fingers/palm.

Current Image

2gsvH00.jpg

New Image to be added

Sr5A4pD.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sly11 said:

I think its well overdue that we update the image for the gloves on this CRL.

Currently it shows ANH style rubber gloves where we know they wore TFA style gloves albeit all black with black stitching.

Options for language update.

If updating the image, I also believe we should eliminate the rubber gloves language from basic, and just leave Nomex style. (they are closer to the correct style than rubber.

If this change is made we bring the correct style glove into EI and remove level 3, or we simply don't have a lvl 2 and leave correct gloves at lvl 3

The other option is to only have the correct gloves at basic removing lvl 2 and 3 from this section, as we do in other CRL's like the TFA, TLJ

These gloves are readily available and on our Vendors list.

Current CRL

• Black in color, made of either rubber, Nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Gloves shall not be made of rubber.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • The base material of the gloves will be a black synthetic material similar to Lycra, Spandex, Elastane, or Nylon.
  • Palms of gloves shall be shiny black fabric or leather or leather-like material.
  • On the index finger shall be a stitched piece of fabric made from the same material as the hand's underside that while stitched to the finger has one cutout towards the end of the finger that reveals the netted material underneath.
  • Gloves shall have the correct leather pattern along the fingers/palm.

Current Image

New Image to be added

I generally agree. I think it should specify that they are not rubber gloves for L1 and proper ones as shown/described should be L2 and up.

• Like 2

Rogue One CRL UPDATE:

I will post this in announcement area once finalised but the CRL will look like this.

T6DWpKN.jpg

This is the change made to the Artillery trooper.

ANH Rubber gloves no longer accepted at basic, only Nomex and leather type, all other higher level requirments taken from Lvl 3 and moved to lvl 2 Expert Infantry.

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Question regarding the CRL regarding the abdomen.

I recently purchased the Galactic Armory ROTK 3d printing file, and most of it looks good. However, the abdomen is divided in two widthwise to allow for easier movement in and out of the armor. It also has the backplate attached. The CRL, however, states that I need to have it be all one piece, with the backplate detached. I messaged the creator of the files, and got the following statement.

cleardot.gif

Hello, the seams of the abs are at the sides. It should actually be much easier to get in than traditional armor by using some elastic bands across the sides.
It seems very odd  they want to apply vacuum formed rules to the 3d print files when from the outside they look the same.

Is it ok if this is modded in for ease of entry? My thought was to put locking clsaps on each seam, and with the way it's structured the seam should be disguised when the clasps are engaged.  It's going to be a lot easier for someone like me with a bit of a gut who doesn't have access to a vacformed kit. I also have the files by Akira Yuming,which uses the much more traditional method method, but will be much more difficult to get in and out of without potentially hurting the part or having to print it out of *shudder* flexible filaments.

If all else fails, I'm thinking of getting a single vacformed piece from WTF just for the abdomen.

Any modifications like this should be run by your GML to determine if it will be approvable at the basic level. However, the CRL does note that it needs to be one piece, so although I cannot predict what your GML may say, that is pretty restrictive language in the CRL.

One possibility is that you could increase the overall circumference to make it easier to put on and take off. The CRL notes where side shims may be added to increase the circumference but still conform with the requirements for basic approval.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeiaBlaze said:

Officially got told nope by the gml. One piece only. I'll probably be picking up from WTF or 850 to make sure I'm able to not break the part if it's a one piece

Unfortunately this can be the issue with 3D print files, trying to replicate what is seen on screen as well as what is required by the CRL as well as comfort longevity, a lot of new era costumes are the same, FOTK also has it's issues but a lot of this new era armor was injection molded and has some give and flex so pieces can be so large.

Have a look at Jason's thread, not the same files but give you an idea of some areas

• Like 1