Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Totally understand but since we have not been able to locate a good reference and the Black Series helmet is an approved reproduction, I figure it may be as close to gospel as we will get.

8 minutes ago, 11b30b4 said:

Totally understand but since we have not been able to locate a good reference and the Black Series helmet is an approved reproduction, I figure it may be as close to gospel as we will get.

Until proven otherwise or a general consensus is formed the CRL will probably remain the same however, something we do need to get confirmation on.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I apologize if this video has been posted already or if it doesn't add to anything on the topic since its relatively old, but I found this close up video of the ROTK suit i believe was used on set. I know the CRLs are already posted, but I was wondering if anyone could add to them with the help of this. 

Resolution is pretty bad and the person recording it is a little shaky and doesn't focus on a lot of areas for more than a split second.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Big Deal said:

Can I get a confirmation on if this is an indent or drilled right through with the black of the undersuit visible. Here it looks like a through hole.

Every photo I've seen I believe it's a hole. The CRL states indent for L2, but should also state hole for L3 though it hasn't been decided on yet.

• Like 2

Thanks Tony for volunteering to consolidate the feedback for a CRL update the way Glen did for the TKC.   Want to schedule them at the same time? I think the grace period for the TKC comments are over and we can do all of them (R1 & TKC) either Friday or early next week.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Thanks Tony for volunteering to consolidate the feedback for a CRL update the way Glen did for the TKC.   Want to schedule them at the same time? I think the grace period for the TKC comments are over and we can do all of them (R1 & TKC) either Friday or early next week.

Sounds good

A bit late to the party but regarding the biceps, rear are overlap with the cover moulded into the outer half. Visible in this image

28372544435_b27119b74c_c.jpg
Rogue One Stormtrooper Reference CE 2016 by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Fronts not clear. Could be the strip is a separate piece or a part of the inner overlapping the outer. If I had to guess looking at closely at details in a back pack trooper, overlap as the seam behind the cover is far too close to the edge for butt to not snap as soon as it was flexed. Zoom in to max on the left bicep and you’ll see what I mean. Rogue One Stormtrooper Reference CE 2016

Forearm looks to be overlap with a moulded in cover on the rear. Again my images of the front aren’t really helpful in showing the construction.

28089829570_9abf01a7b7_c.jpg
Rogue One Stormtrooper Reference CE 2016 by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

33 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

I think for level 3 the moulded on parts should be on the correct half of the shell.  For level 2 "overlap" is probably close enough.

Someone will need to go through the movie and a ton of screen shots the be sure the armor is consistant or at least the majority are the same. Volunteers?

Hey guys, let me pop in with my thoughts on this stuff. I think we have sufficiently proven that the all limb joints are overlap and not butt joint. As to which side is overlapped, it seems like common sense the at all joints should look closed from the outside like the biceps pic posted above. I do not think that it needs to be spelled out in the CRLs except to say that all joints should be overlap and can have a butt joint appearance. Regardless, the cover strip or "simulated" cover strip cover the entire joint so it would never bee seen anyway. 

As for the hole on the back plate. I moved mine and re-drilled it but I then add a backing piece of polystyrene that was painted black. again, I do not see a need to specify that it is a hole or a depression, as long as it has the desired look. 

I understand many of us feel the need to be as accurate as possible but until someone can put their hands on an actual screen used set of armor, we are stuck with pictures and there is just too many issues with looking at pictures and gleaning anything further than what has already been discussed here. For example, are the inside of the HOVI mics black or white? I have looked at a ton of images since this question was first posed and honestly, I have found images that support both but none can confirm that its not a trick of lighting.

I honestly feel that unless its something obvious and/ or integral to the armor design (ex. cut out vents that are backed with a blue material on the helmet) we should leave well enough alone. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by 11b30b4
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic but, there's a build thread going on where the builder trimmed a bit too much off one side of his OTTK waist ammo belt. He was concerned that now it wouldn't be accurate enough. I encouraged him to trim the other side to match and continue to assemble the belt. Would it have looked better at the canon specs? Maybe. Are we going to hold him back from the higher levels of approval? So long as it's close enough, no. That said, Jeff brought up a good point (which I tried not to go into on my last few posts), as much as we'd like the CRL to be as Canon accurate as possible that's not what the FISD is about. At this point let's implement what's obvious and as time goes on we can adjust the CRL as necessary. 

• Like 1

I would also like to mention (in case someone does not know) there are two groups/ companies working vacuum formed Rogue One TK kits. The first is NaturalBornDT and his group The DarkSide Closet and 850 Armor works. The other company is Head Shot Props (HSP). both of these kits look promising and I will be getting one or both kits. These kits should not have some of the issues noted with the fibergalss kit but they may have other issues. I will not know until I get my hands on them. So for people to be able to produce kits for us, there needs to be a standard that does not go through frequent revisions. If we make too many changes, these kits will never get made and we will be as limited as we currently are. Now that Solo has come and gone, perhaps someone will get their hands on one of the Solo TKs and we can learn a lot from it (fingers crossed). 

While we are talking about other kits, I contacted HSP and asked about rubber shoulder straps like the clone armor guys have as well as Rogue One versions of rubber handguards. They are looking into making these for the Rogue One TK kits and as an add on for other ROTK kits like Jim's kit. As far as CRLs are concerned, if these rubber options look the same as the existing stuff, I see no reason they would not be approved by 501st/ FISD. As long as we do not restrict them in the CRLs they should be allowed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 11b30b4 said:

I would also like to mention (in case someone does not know) there are two groups/ companies working vacuum formed Rogue One TK kits. The first is NaturalBornDT and his group The DarkSide Closet and 850 Armor works. The other company is Head Shot Props (HSP). both of these kits look promising and I will be getting one or both kits. These kits should not have some of the issues noted with the fibergalss kit but they may have other issues. I will not know until I get my hands on them. So for people to be able to produce kits for us, there needs to be a standard that does not go through frequent revisions. If we make too many changes, these kits will never get made and we will be as limited as we currently are. Now that Solo has come and gone, perhaps someone will get their hands on one of the Solo TKs and we can learn a lot from it (fingers crossed). 

While we are talking about other kits, I contacted HSP and asked about rubber shoulder straps like the clone armor guys have as well as Rogue One versions of rubber handguards. They are looking into making these for the Rogue One TK kits and as an add on for other ROTK kits like Jim's kit. As far as CRLs are concerned, if these rubber options look the same as the existing stuff, I see no reason they would not be approved by 501st/ FISD. As long as we do not restrict them in the CRLs they should be allowed. 

The CRL’s can be updated when new references become available they don’t just stop because armor makers make armor a certain way ;) Many makers have made updates to their products over the years to accomodate the changes.

Be great if they could get on the forums and post photos of their progress :duim:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Many makers have made updates to their products over the years to accomodate the changes.

A good example is the OT armor.  The original FX kits had a single back plate and came with silver tape.  When we updated the CRL, they changed their mold.   RT also changed his helmet from flat ear bumps to raised ones.

• Like 1

"Be great if they could get on the forums and post photos of their progress"

gmrhodes13, one of them has done just that. 

Daetrin, I completely support changes to the CRLs if they are based on "legitimate and Provable" needed changes that bring the requirements in line with "actual cannon" armor. What I do not agree with is the "hay, it looks like this is whatever, so we should change the CRLs to reflect that...". It may look like whatever, but if you can not prove it is whatever, then do not make the changes. A perfect example of this is the ASP baton holster we talked about some time ago. We should not include something in the CRL's unless we can prove it. Just my perspective on the CRLs and how they are developed. Overall, I am very pleased with the CRLs have been developed. I like that we have all had the opportunity to impact the CRLs and the staff here on FISD are very open and welcoming to changing and correcting the CRLs.  

• 1 month later...

I think the wording was meant to reflect that the Rogue One traps and tears aren't just painted on or stickers. They are built out from the armor and the vents are cut into them. You can paint them to match, black for the vents and grey, but they should look like they are their own piece, added to the armor.

• Like 1

Zeddy, I think the consensus is that the French blue material is painters tape or similar product and give the same color of blue. For my build, I found a blue breathable fabric at JoAnn’s that worked perfectly for me. As for the tears, on the Rogue One helmet, they are recessed. The cutout in the helmet has an insert panel then the lines are cut out of that panel. I have some fairly detailed pics in my build if you want to see how I did it.

• Like 1

Hey everyone, so i was just wondering about the helmet trim. I have circled one of the images by Christopher Pearson on Flickr from the Rogue One Stormtrooper Reference CE 2016. I think there is a visible seam which leads me to believe it is a rubber seal similar to that used in ANH builds.8de85ad2bf9698003c242fb0a0ec1f52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If I remember tomorrow I’ll try to go to the original and get heavy handed with some sliders and see if that reveals some more detail in the shadows. Looking at the version on Flickr it might be an S trim but that’s entirely based on detail in the shadows on the right side. 

• Like 2