Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Ok awesome. My photos unfortunately disappeared, however this is probably a good thing. I have an idea. What if we used darthcue's baton that he attached a few pages ago as the CRL model, and I can include my holster for you, and we can combine the 2? Just a thought, but I honestly believe that darthcue's baton (and the pic he attached showing the measurement of it extended) is the closest we can get to it, not to mention most accurate. 

Also are you sure those guards aren't considered deployed? They are standard troops that have been sent to that planet to act as prison guards (at least that's how I interpret it).

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 5:08 AM, darthcue said:

my baton extends to 26 inches
self-defense-car-mounted-weapon-short-st

Specifically this pic. It matches everything I see in the movie and the video game, all except for the peculier orange ring up at the top... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parquette said:

Specifically this pic. It matches everything I see in the movie and the video game, all except for the peculier orange ring up at the top... 

the orange ring is only in the picture... the one i have has no orange ring. 

Great! Btw do you have a link to the one you ordered? And also, is there a version of this baton that is not sold in Japan, Asia, or China? Anything over there has real slow shipping times, and my family isn't too fond of the struggles involved with trying to receive the ordered item. 

Possibly. However there is no protruding handle seen in any of the reference shots. And now in Battlefront 2 it's very common for troops in story mode to run put from behind cover with a long extended baton like darthcues. 

Edited by Parquette

No no, the one's in battlefront 2 extends into 3 sections. And there is 1 scene where a TK has the baton in his hand, and it's when he passes Jin's cell. When it's on the belt of the one on the transport and the door explodes, he slightly turns towards the camera, and there is clearly no extra handle like on Jyn's .

In regards to if it's relevant, we've never had TK's with riot batons like these until Rogue One, and now that Battlefront II has it, it seems strange that only now they'd do it. Not only that, but it's also like the whole cauldron thing all over again. They only appeared in ANH, but now they've been introduced into games, Rebels, TFA and TLJ. 

Edited by Parquette

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting the subject of the Crystal Patrol Duty pack, I still feel strongly that it should be an optional accessory for the R1 TK CRL. I realize MEPD is getting this pack too as it is mainly featured on Jedha which is a sandy planet, But in fact the first trooper seen wearing the pack in the movie is actually at The Ring of Kafrene which is not a sandy place at all! It is a trading outpost so it would make perfect sense that stromtroopers deployed there would be issued these packs to confiscate any crystals attempted to be illegally traded or sold on the market. More importantly the only trooper in this scene can actually be heard saying "TK-62" Identifying himself using the standard stormtrooper designation TK prefix ON SCREEN and as you can see when you turn on the subtitles this character's official name in the script is "Stormtrooper 1", the first stormtrooper in the movie which also happens to take place prior to A New Hope. We are the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment. On top of all this MEPD is already getting the "Sandtrooper Type 4 Fieldpack" from Rogue One to add their other Sandtrooper, & HWT Packs. FISD should also get at least one pack that's actually seen on screen in a movie and not based from a video game! After all the real leg work and research for the pack was done here on whitearmor to begin with. This is the 501st legion, and WE are the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment, we pride ourselves on being one of the biggest and most accurate detachments, so this needs to be corrected in my mind. Sure the "Sandtroopers" on Jedha were issued them, but clearly so are standard Stormtroopers in other places too. That's how it is in the movie, and this is supported in the official visual guide as well as other official media too, the evidence is all there . Disney/Lucasfilm is clearly presenting this character to the public as a Standard Stormtrooper and so far the 501st is not doing a very good job maintaining that continuity by calling it a Sandtrooper.

US88LPG.jpg

9HLIZ8J.jpg

XIJSKXv.jpg

kxOR7Xd.png

AITMGbT.jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 10:13 AM, Daetrin said:

Most of the history of FISD taking on what should have been MEPD's costumes for deployed troopers stemmed from the staunch old guard at MEPD to keep it focused on ANH sandtroopers ONLY, e.g. 1 costume.  So we (FISD) stepped up and took them on. 

However as ever in the Legion things evolved. Can you believe back in 2006 there were many in the Legion who were against the very concept of having a TK detachment as the Legion already "had it covered" in the garrisons?

The guidance that should have been in place years ago is now being resurrected.  MEPD's leadership is changed, and the membership there has changed, and they are embracing their true roots as the place for "dirty TKs".  They are now doing:

1. Special Edition (ROTJ based) OT standtroopers

2. Battlefront II Heavy Weapons Trooper

3. Battlefront II Sullest/Magma Trooper 

4. Jeddha Trooper from Rogue one (dirty boy!)

What is referred to the Crystal Patrol that is only ever seen in the book.  It's not even clear if this costume will ever have its own CRL, as it is essentially the same costume as the deployed R1 TK (aka Jeddha Trooper) with a different pack, so they will probably just have both costumes in one CRL with two pack options.

There was a discussion that Phasma would go over to SpecOps as she is not a "clean white TK", but the feedback was that the Phasmas prefer to stay here on FISD, so that is where they will remain until such time as the costume holders decide otherwise. 

Such is not the case with new costumes entering the Legion where we'll hold the line more closely to stick to clean TK's here on FISD, have "deployed" TK's over to MEPD, and anything other than a clean TK go to SpecOps.

Hope that makes sense.

On 9/24/2017 at 10:36 AM, SlyFox740 said:

What is referred to as the "Jedha Trooper" is only ever seen on an action figure package. Only one specific action figure to be exact. A toy figurine is hardly a better reference than a fully illustrated officially published visual guide in my opinion.

What I mean is Lucasfilm calls it a "Visual Guide" for a reason, If anything I would follow that as reference over a toy.

I understand the reasoning behind it, and yes some of the troopers wearing the pack & pauldron happen to be somewhat dusty being deployed on Jedha but on the other hand we also see plenty of clean white TKs on Jedha too, some of them wearing the pack & pauldron. This pack is also seen on Stormtroopers on other planets as well, it's first seen in the movie very early on at the "Kafrene Trading Outpost", but more heavily featured on Jedha.

But even so these troopers appear to be clean just like all the other stormtroopers they're seen standing with.

0k4IX7D.jpg

oQvKpVi.jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, SlyFox740 said:

I know it wasn't in the film but in addition to the Visual Guide the costume display at Star Wars Celebration was very clean too.

rogueone+stormtrooper.jpg

Even though it's a Stormtrooper Pack and NOT a Sandtrooper pack, and even though we did all the legwork and research for it here on FISD, I'm not opposed to the pack being in another detachment.

However If it's going to be MEPD getting all these new costumes then they desperately need a new name as the detachment is so much more than just Sandtroopers now! None of those characters aside from them are ever seen anywhere near Mos Eisley, or even Tatooine for that matter!

The MEPD title does not adequately represent or encompass their detachment's broad range of costumes any longer.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

Not to mention that these TK's are reletively clean. Scout Troopers can be dirty, but they're not in the MEPD. These TK's have a light dusting of sand, but that's about it.

Call me the stirrer of the crowd, just thought it'd be nice to point out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parquette said:

Not to mention that these TK's are reletively clean. Scout Troopers can be dirty, but they're not in the MEPD. These TK's have a light dusting of sand, but that's about it.

Call me the stirrer of the crowd, just thought it'd be nice to point out. 

Agreed!

Also there is plenty of other official media from Lucasfilm/Disney supporting the fact that these packs are issued to standard stormtroopers.

The new book titled "STAR WARS STORMTROOPERS BEYOND THE ARMOR" classifies them as Stormtroopers, even the ones on Jedha. This is also an official Disney/Lucasfilm licensed publication just like the visual guide. It's fairly accurate and quite informative, it describes all the different types of troopers and armor not to mention the book goes into great detail about the origins of the 501st and it's history, the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment, and even mentions this forum and the thread in which we reverse engineered this pack. I think we need to recognize that even this book got it right and I strongly feel we should be accurate with our costume designations too as this is obviously what's being presented to the public and it's consistent with all official media coming from Disney/Lucasfilm.

This image from the book actually says "Costume Reference Photo of the Crystal Patrol Duty Pack worn by Stormtroopers" I feel like this says it all right here!

SCNMROR.jpg

And here is another image from the same book.

F84wdT3.jpg

Here is a TOPPS Star Wars Rogue One Stormtrooper Trading Card. This is Official Disney/Lucasfilm licensed product.

GcV9a4s.png

The Hot Toys STORMTROOPER figure set includes Crystal Patrol Duty Pack. Another Lucasfilm licensed product.

Bao4U1y.png

The Hot Toys STORMTROOPER figure set is called “TK-14057” we all know the 'TK' prefix is a standard Stormtrooper designation.

pn4Y1qx.png

Edited by SlyFox740

::Raises Hand::  I can answer this one :)

Actually in the original canon, every armored trooper is a stormtrooper.  The term sandtrooper was coined by the Legion, and even Biker Scouts are stormtroopers in specialized gear.  This is why in many books/sources they don't differentiate between stormtrooper subtypes.

Just because something is a stormtrooper does not mean that FISD will have that costume.  Detachments usually focus on a costume category and costume categories can also be logically grouped by armor type to avoid duplication of effort between detachments. 

In the old days, the split was that FISD had film canon TKs and SpecOps had everything else (MEPD had sandys as MEPD predates FISD).  As more TK costumes came out in the EU that were pretty much painted TK's (e.g. TKC), it didn't make sense for them to to go SpecOps as aside from paint all the armor building and sourcing materials were already on FISD.  So, the new split became:

MEPD->Sandtroopers
FISD->Clean TK based troopers (even painted TKs)
SpecOps->Any TK that required specialized armor or parts (except for Magma/Blackhole for historical reasons)

FISD kept HWT simply because MEPD didn't want it.  It was originally supposed to go there.  Times change and MEPD under a more visionary leadership wants to be home for all "deployed" TKs.  This is why we are moving all dirty costumes to MEPD, including the Jeddha TK, Crystal Patrol TK and the Sullest Magma trooper, even though they are based on regular TK armor.

But just like Black Hole/Magma stay with SpecOps as exceptions for historical reasons, the HWT remains on FISD.
Hope that helps. :salute:
  • Like 1

I see your point and I agree with you. Lucasfilm has never differentiated between Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers, or Scout Troopers. That was something the Legion initiated.

I don’t disagree with MEPD getting the deployed troopers with extra gear and additional weathering to look “dirty”. That all makes sense. Though I was over at MEPD and the question was posed "Why can't both detachments have the pack" and to be honest that's a very valid question. The visual guide even says this "field specific kit can expand a standard stormtrooper's versatility."

However I do still feel that the first Stormtrooper in the movie wearing the pack while using the ‘TK’ designation ON SCREEN is a pretty big issue that we need to address.

Allowing the pack as an Optional Accessory with the new R1 TK CRL might be the simple solution to this issue.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

Also Daetrin, we really need to update the Riot Baton portion of the CRL. It's inaccurate and could be misleading. One of the members had an extendable baton that matched the ones in Battlefront II that every stormtrooper (including Shoretroopers) have. You can find them being used in the Kylo Ren/Del Meeko cutscenes back flash. I wouldn't be surprised at all of Battlefront II got the batons from Rogue One. 

I'm totally cool with updating the baton, but the language before I wasn't sure on.  What is the latest?  Sorry to ask, but it's my daughter's birthday today and I could use some help there as I'm juggling many things.

17 hours ago, SlyFox740 said:

I see your point and I agree with you. Lucasfilm has never differentiated between Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers, or Scout Troopers. That was something the Legion initiated.

I don’t disagree with MEPD getting the deployed troopers with extra gear and additional weathering to look “dirty”. That all makes sense. Though I was over at MEPD and the question was posed "Why can't both detachments have the pack" and to be honest that's a very valid question. The visual guide even says this "field specific kit can expand a standard stormtrooper's versatility."

However I do still feel that the first Stormtrooper in the movie wearing the pack while using the ‘TK’ designation ON SCREEN is a pretty big issue that we need to address.

Allowing the pack as an Optional Accessory with the new R1 TK CRL might be the simple solution to this issue.

I think I need to drop my 2 cts here as well.

As mentioned in previous posts "in the past" certain costumes weren't accepted by the MEPD as the main focus was the ANH Sandtrooper. But luckily the MEPD has evolved.

I have seen the question, and it's a valid one for sure, on the boards of the MEPD but making it available for both detachments isn't the solution. Personal opinions are good and need to be taken into consideration if they are for the better of the collective vs the individual.

Using the TK designation on screen is probably due to the simple fact that the first trooper ever that got addressed on screen was a TK....and he wasn't at his post :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 12:36 PM, Daetrin said:

Mmmm...possibly.   Do we have a clear shot showing they are one piece?

Sadly I haven’t found one.

But, nor have I found anything that suggests that it is 2 piece either, I’m guessing this (like a lot of other details) was just copied over from the ANH stunt crl?

Given that the shoretroopers, Tank Troopers and (I think) FO TKs were all made by the same teams and all have the ab / kidney plate as one piece it seems to me far more likely that they’d have done the same for this costume.

Really random question in regards to the tube stripes, but does the "blue section" underneath have to be plastic? I was reading on another thread about how the makers were saying during a panel talk that they wanted the tubes to be functional and act like ventilation. Could it be possible to use a suitable fabric or other breathable material? This could also allow the use of Ukwraths Deathtrooper audio system and free up space behind the hovi tips for a fan system. Just a thought i had.

That's a great question.  I don't see why not - it's something that could be introduced at L1 as a start. I'd like to hear from Tony & Sly on this first before making

The FO helmet tube vents were hallow. Unless there's documentation to state otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable to use the correct color blue speaker cloth material for example.