Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark PWF

2 hours ago, cjkirk11 said:

If we are gonna go down the road of every detail being categorized and determined if it will make it's way into the CRL, we might never get around to having a working copy lol. There are just so many little things. I am all for the idea but I would like to get mine approved sometime this year ;).

A couple things I want to add to the discussion is that in the scenes where stormtroopers are doing stunts to where they are being flipped or have a chance to land on their backs, they aren't wearing thermal detonators. A really good shot of this is when they are fighting Chirrut on Jedha. So will we have a "stunt version" where the TD is optional?

Also are we going to go into detail as far as pack/pauldron/blaster combos that are acceptable?

Yeah, I understand that it might take longer. But I really don't see it taking too too much longer, with how much has already been pointed out. And you don't technically have to wait for the CRL to be approved either: talk to your garrison and they might work with you to get a base approval until the official word comes out.

The stunt thermal det packs; I think those were mentioned before. Honestly I would just say that, if it's optional, it's only optional for base entry. I really don't see a separate "stunt" CRL happening because it appears to be the only defining difference. It's not like the costumes are constructed differently, its just a lack of an accessory. (Compare to ANH Hero/Stunt where there are noticeable helmet changes, in addition to special accessories)  Obviously, this is all for just now. If we find enough differences in the future, it might be an option. 

And another question I haven't seen fully answered. Yes, eventually there will be distinctions for "pack/pauldron/blaster combos" but there is some debate over which group is doing what. MIPD has wanted to claim one of the trooper variations, and there is some talk a few pages back about it. For right now, here's what I've seen discussed: packs and pauldrons seem to go together, can't have one without the other. Blasters are discussed in the May newsletter, and it looks like there were two versions. With/without flashlights, but the same basic gun build on every one that is extremely close to an ANH E-11. I don't see anyone reasonably banning the use of ANH E-11s for use with this costume, but maybe level 3 will require the RO flashlight E-11 variant?

- The Captain

Then again, the Hero suit had the grappling hook accessory, when all the other stunts had the basic belt without it ;)

I agree with the points that the stunt armor's missing the thermal detonator is just a matter of leaving out the accessory for the stunts, but I think it could be kind of nice to not have one as an option. But it is kind of a key element of a Stormtrooper. 

In regards to the pack/pauldron option, it's been decided that MEPD will take both versions, but all the other TK's have those blasters with the flashlights. It's a standard issue, not unique to the sand troopers. I would like to see the ANH blaster be an option, considering an option thrown into one of the early CRL suggestions list was an optional holster (which none of the R1TK's have). I think for basic is where the ANH blaster option would lie, but not any higher. Kind of similar to how the ANH TK boots are an option (not many makers make the FOTK boot, and the ones that do are either not sized large enough for us big footers, or take forever to ship). 

Edited by Par_

HWT's don't have them ;) I'm not trying to say we should go without them just because there is a scene in the movie where the don't have them. There is just a lot of stuff to be evaluated to determine what should be included, at least for the higher levels of approval. 

3 hours ago, Par_ said:

Then again, the Hero suit had the grappling hook accessory, when all the other stunts had the basic belt without it ;)

I agree with the points that the stunt armor's missing the thermal detonator is just a matter of leaving out the accessory for the stunts, but I think it could be kind of nice to not have one as an option. But it is kind of a key element of a Stormtrooper. 

In regards to the pack/pauldron option, it's been decided that MEPD will take both versions, but all the other TK's have those blasters with the flashlights. It's a standard issue, not unique to the sand troopers. I would like to see the ANH blaster be an option, considering an option thrown into one of the early CRL suggestions list was an optional holster (which none of the R1TK's have). I think for basic is where the ANH blaster option would lie, but not any higher. Kind of similar to how the ANH TK boots are an option (not many makers make the FOTK boot, and the ones that do are either not sized large enough for us big footers, or take forever to ship). 

Yup, hence why I said "special accessories" cause there was the voice comm thingy too! 

Didn't know the MEPD was fully decided. Definitely good to know! I wonder how far they gotten with their discussions.....

And yeah, that's basically what I was thinking about the blaster thing. ANH E-11's shouldn't be "banned" from the costume, but just like a Hasbro-blaster conversion, it won't be centurion level.

Well the regular stormtroopers without the pack appear to carry the E-11, DLT-19 and the T-21. Some of which additionally have slings

The stormtroopers with the crystal collection packs are seen carrying E-11s or DLT-19's. I haven't seen any of these 19's with slings, could be wrong though.

The crystal collection packs are also accompanied by a pauldron, in the movie there are three colors clearly seen. Those are Orange, White, and Black.

But yeah, there is also the Type 4 field pack but that is under the MEPD.

I know there was the huge discussion over the new E-11's, but has there been any discussion of the other blasters? Are they the same as their OT counterparts? I would think the RO versions are at least slightly different.

11 hours ago, The Captain said:

I know there was the huge discussion over the new E-11's, but has there been any discussion of the other blasters? Are they the same as their OT counterparts? I would think the RO versions are at least slightly different.

They are very different.  It has a flashlight, for one.

16 hours ago, The Captain said:

5 hours ago, Daetrin said:

They are very different.  It has a flashlight, for one.

Yes they very different as Daetrin said, in fact he has personally put me in charge of the Rogue One E-11 Blaster Reference if you go here; https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41271-rogue-one-e-11-blaster-reference/

The R1 BlasTech E-11 is different than the ANH variant in almost every aspect of the blaster big or small.

Even the DLT-19 has the new Flashlight installed so to answer your question yes the other blasters are in fact different too.

I have been writing an optional accessory template to contribute to this CRL for the E-11 blaster, as well as an optional accessory for the Crystal Patrol Duty packs.

Edited by SlyFox740

17 hours ago, SlyFox740 said:

Yes they very different as Daetrin said, in fact he has personally put me in charge of the Rogue One E-11 Blaster Reference if you go here; https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41271-rogue-one-e-11-blaster-reference/

The R1 BlasTech E-11 is different than the ANH variant in almost every aspect of the blaster big or small.

Even the DLT-19 has the new Flashlight installed so to answer your question yes the other blasters are in fact different too.

I have been writing an optional accessory template to contribute to this CRL for the E-11 blaster, as well as an optional accessory for the Crystal Patrol Duty packs.

Ah ha! I knew someone had to be working on it.

Ok, so we all know of the E-11 from the May Newsletter, and all thanks to SlyFox740 for the upcoming accessory template. You guys have pointed out the DLT-19 has a new version too, which is good.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:36 AM, cjkirk11 said:

I can't tell any differences on the T-21 but I could be wrong.

This is actually the one I was most interested in, but it's not exactly prominent in the show. Well see how the discussion develops, as I doubt they changed the other two without changing some aspect, even a small one, of the T-21. 

So then, the question becomes how are they integrated into the CRL? 

On 7/14/2017 at 8:29 PM, Par_ said:

I think for basic is where the ANH blaster option would lie, but not any higher.

I second this concept, but do we want to apply it to all of them? Have all OT style blasters (E-11, DLT-19, and T-21) be allowed for basic entry, but RO versions required for EIB and Centurion? 

Thoughts?

- The Captain

17 hours ago, cjkirk11 said:

Not sure, I think it would be fine to have the standard blasters as part of the entry level CRL. At this point it looks like the ANH armor in it's entirety and blasters will be fine for level one lol

At the very least the holster should have to be removed, and a flashlight added to the right side of the blaster. We can't make it that simple to have cross-approval on two costumes. This is the 501st after all, I think our standards are a little higher than that.

Some of the troopers in this photo didn't remove their holsters and it's actually quite Noticeable, also some of us have flashlights while others don't. While the R1 TK was definitely inspired by the ANH Stunt TK there are obviously many differences and we need to draw the line somewhere, these two small things are rather noticeable differences IMHO.  1 Holster Removed, 2 Flashlight Added.

h3psxLn.jpg

We actually had 10 of us out there in armor that day at the beach, I did the photoshopping myself, here's another photo.

5C49JRi.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

Great photos! 

Yes, I would love to see it where we can have an ANH blaster with the flashlight on the side. That was my plan, to possibly get a Hyperfirm B grade at some point and carve out a section of one of the rails and put the flashlight there.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 7:13 PM, SlyFox740 said:

At the very least the holster should have to be removed, and a flashlight added to the right side of the blaster. We can't make it that simple to have cross-approval on two costumes. This is the 501st after all, I think our standards are a little higher than that.

Rather than reinvent the wheel why not use the same wording as on the Shoretrooper CRL?

E-11B Blaster
For 501st approval:

Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

Tactical flashlight (Surefire scout M300 or replica) mounted on right side of barrel.

Magazine shall be full length. 

• Like 1

I don't have any issue with that. However for the higher levels I think it should be that the E-11 is based off the commercial replica and not a real sterling. The scope is different from the OT version as is the Counter. As well as the other small details. And I am even for having to use the Element surefire clone for level 3. There are some really great write ups on the R1 E-11 blasters subforum and I think it would be a shame to not take from those resources.

• Like 2

On 2017-07-24 at 9:22 PM, cjkirk11 said:

I don't have any issue with that. However for the higher levels I think it should be that the E-11 is based off the commercial replica and not a real sterling. The scope is different from the OT version as is the Counter. As well as the other small details. And I am even for having to use the Element surefire clone for level 3. There are some really great write ups on the R1 E-11 blasters subforum and I think it would be a shame to not take from those resources.

Agreed 100% Higher level requirements most definitely need to be based on a real or replica Airsoft S&T Sterling L2A1 AEG, not a real 9mm Sterling Mk4 L2A3 Sub Machine-Gun. Level 2 or 3 should most definitely require a real or replica Element M300A Mini Scout Light be mounted on the right side, not just any generic mini flashlight.

As Chris said there is a much more detailed write up with all the information needed to make an accurate Rogue One E-11 right here on the forums, and it would be a real shame not to take advantage of this resource and all the work that's already been done there.

Our Detachment Commander has put me in charge of the of the official FISD Rogue One E-11 Blaster Reference thread if you check out the link below.

PLEASE CLICK HERE:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41271-rogue-one-e-11-blaster-reference/

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

Just looked through the draft CRL and I have a few questions.

1. Is the CRL going to be updated to include the gaskets on the undersuit?

2. Butt joint and cover strip method, no overlap construction allowed. Does this mean that Jimmi's kits will not be allowed at centurion level?

3. Can you identify the "small indent on the front of the handguard" if it hasn't been done already.

4. Is the CRL going to be updated to describe the screen used gloves? I.E. Gloves similar to those used in TFA, however they are all black and feature padded details on the palms?

5. Should it mention that the drop boxes are connected with black velcro? It looks to me like they are affixed to the belt with elastic?

6. The "bump" in the CRL is said to be on the left side of the helmet, however it appears to me it is on the left side of the reference photos, which would make it the wearers right side.

Just a few things I noticed looking through.

I pointed out the overlapping assembly method to Daetrin, specifically regarding the shins and how doing the butt join and coverstrip method won't work. He took note of it and made the revision. 

And yes, the wearer's right side of the eye with the bump is visually on the left side. I think it should be updated to the wearer's point of view. That's what happens when I phrase things wrong xD

The indent on the handguard is very similar to how the FOTK's have an indent on the index part of their handguards. However, the indent is in the middle front of the ROTK handguard.  

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, so I brought this up to Daetrin, and he wanted to see what you guys thought. 

Does everyone feel that the trim pieces must be around 1/8th inch thick? Or can it be under as well?
Which trim pieces are you referring to?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk