Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Yup. I'm not exactly sure if it's blue tape or what underneath, because you can see overlaps over each blue piece. After all, in a recent interview the head of costuming (I can't remember if it was that person or what) said that they designed them as vents.

I seen that interview as well. I believe it was at the red carpet premiere at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood, If I'm not mistaken the original costume designer from ANH intended the tube stripes to look like vents or filters of some kind. That combined with the advent of High-Definition video inspired the costume designers from Rogue One to actually make them into vents, I'm definitely okay with this as the concept of them being 'vents' or 'filters' is nothing new, there is even diagrams in Lucasfilm licensed books that detail the functionality of stormtrooper helmets that have been around since long before Rogue One ever came along.

Also, very true, but one can make clean enough indentations that it could possibly pass basic. Especially since making sharp edges is very easy in hand sculpting, this effect can be easily achieved if one is hand sculpting the helmet from scratch. I haven't seen one like this yet, but it is possible. We don't want to be too reserved and strict with this CRL in particular, seeing as one can acquire certain characteristics and looks by other means not 100% accurate, and this is only basic we are talking here. What I would like to do is see if we can keep this one just a little bit flexible, like the Kylo Ren CRL. That one has multiple options for the outer robe fabric, and with other parts it is somewhat forgiving. I am hoping we could keep this one like that, especially since not a lot of people will notice the gaps between the blue and the recessed white areas in the tube stripes much. As long as one's helmet has the look, it should be ok, especially since the gaps are not very huge in the screen used helmet.

I'm all for Basic costume requirement listings being simple and flexible but for level 2 EIB (expert infantry badge), and level 3 Centurion it's these exact kind of details that should be held to more and more scrutiny.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

Optional Accessory for a "standard stormtrooper" as seen in the film and according to the Rogue One visual guide, a Lucasfilm/Disney licensed book. This "field-specific kit" is a "well-secured backpack" designed for "crystal patrol duty" for capturing and "confiscating any kyber crystals from citizens, regardless of size or quality".

-

Looking at the rear it does have the appearance of "Vac-Sealed Armoured Canisters". Considering the history and significance of Kyber Crystals in not only the Rogue One plot but the Star Wars universe in general I'd say this makes absolute perfect sense! They would definitely have been kept in "well-secured backpack" once confiscated by the empire, at least temporarily until ready for "delivery to Eadu" to be refined into fuel for their super weapon.

--

This will be an excellent Optional Accessory for the Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL, I was given permission from my garrison's GML to wear my R1 TK pack with my ANH Stunt TK armor while trooping the Canadian Premiere of Rogue One in downtown Toronto at the Scotiabank Theater and it was an absolute hit! I was one of the only troopers with a closeup on the local CTV News Toronto, also Walt Disney Studios Canada posted my picture on their facebook page. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39073-celebration-europe-2016-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-build/?p=533893

The Shoulder Pauldron is an extension of the pack as all stormtroopers seen wearing it in the film also have shoulder pauldrons of varying colors (Orange, White, Black). The Rogue One style pauldron has two extra diagonal stitches sewn across the colored area similar to the original white ones in ANH. Also the fabric on the bottom is white instead of black.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Very nice observations there! I never thought of the backpacks functioning like thst before.<br><br>

In concern for the pauldron, I've only seen the orange on having a white underside. The black one looks completely black. And because not a lot of people are going to see the white anyway, it could be optional as well. But I would love to see the backpack be an optional thing for the standard R1 TK CRL.

Here are some more details concerning the rest of the armor:

Thighs:

-Are fit to wearer, and are symetrical.

-Have raised areas directly in the middle of the front and back areas, with a piece of trim on top of each raised area.

-Are as pictured.

-On the wearer's right thigh, at the bottom is a mini ammo belt, it only exists on the front and slightly goes to the sides, but it doesn't exist in the rest of the sides or back.

-Is short enough that the sniper knee plate of the wearer's left shin doesn't catch (if you look in the film they were purposefully made shorter than the originals)

-Not too much curvature in the front (if you look at the screen caps they aren't too curved, and actually have foam paddings inserted so that it doesn't bounce around at the top)

Shins:

-Is fit to wearer

-On the wearer's left shin at the top, is a special extension called the sniper's knee plate, which will be done as pictured. It is extended forward a little bit, and no rivets are visible.

-The wearer's right shin has no special extension at the top.

Boots:

-Are all white.

-Completely black soles that are all 1 piece, with no separation at the heel. It is a completely straight sole.

-The wearer's inner side of the boots have zippers, which no Chukka boot elastic.

-Are made of leather or leather like material. Must be white.

-Are practically same as FOTK boots.

Undersuit and/or gaskets:

-Is black.

-Is fully ribbed from top to bottom, all horizontal ribbing.

-Is made of fabric, not shiny.

-The shirt has a special fish net of sorts for the arm pit areas. Can either be black or very dark grey (I forgot which it is).

-Pants made out of this ribbed fabric isn't necessary, and gaskets can be made in alternative. As long as it is present at the knees where it is visible on the screen used costume. Made exactly out of the same material.

-If choosing to go the gasket route, any form of black undersuit will work for underneath the gaskets, as long as not shiny (there is no reflection above the thighs in the open area where you can see the pants).

And that's that. Once I have my build put together and attempt to submit a draft of the CRL based off of all the info posted here by me and others to the staff, I'll also gather reference images taken by various people to show these details.

Also, no holster is visible or present in the film, so to keep with accuracy I think we should leave the holsters to the OTTK.

• Like 1

Very nice observations there! I never thought of the backpacks functioning like that before.<br><br>

In concern for the pauldron, I've only seen the orange one having a white underside. The black one looks completely black. And because not a lot of people are going to see the white anyway, it could be optional as well. But I would love to see the backpack be an optional thing for the standard R1 TK CRL.

Yes, the Black ones are completely black top and bottom as well as the death trooper's pauldrons, and they still have the extra diagonal lines of stitching across the colored area. The White pauldrons are also black on the bottom However the Orange ones do have white fabric on the bottom, I agree not very visible but that's how it is on screen. There are many great vendors already making these but here's a video about them; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8l96069D9M . Also It is possible the shoulder pauldron by itself could be optional in certain cases, and It could also be a required extension of the optional pack unless we can find something canon to support the pack is worn without a pauldron (The image I posted above does show that the shoulder pauldron "denotes rank or mission specialization" which is "crystal patrol duty" in this case). Our Chief Admin. Detachment Founder touches on the subject here; http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39993-pauldrons/?p=535765

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

So far even though it's white bottom is existant, in the film it's never seen. We barely see anything with these troopers besides the front shots and a side one of a black pauldron in the trailers and EW magazine. I still think the white bottom should be optional.
Also, here's more update ideas to the CRL:

Back armor:

-Back box has a little drilled out hole located above the box on the right side.
-Top of box wall has a mini recessed section. It's rectangular in design, though us slanted slightly.

Neck seal:

If someone could provide a pic of the neck seal in this that'd be awesome. I still haven't seen one, but am assuming it's like all the other ribbed versions.

Edited by Par_

Another CRL rough draft info:

Gloves:

For basic approval:

-Are completely black.

-They have a special stitching patterned piece as pictured on the index finger.

For EIB status:

-Have special padding on palm side of glove, with stitches surrounding each padded section.

-Palm is made of leather or leather like material. Back is made of a special nylon like weave material.

-There is no other additional stitched pieces on top of the other fingers.

-Has an attached soft part to the end of the glove that extends into the fore arm.

For Centurion status:

-Palm and underside of fingers is made out of genuine leather, along with the special stitching patterned piece on index finger mentioned in basic approval.

-Have all the details of EIB status.

-Extended part of the end of the glove that goes into fore arm is stitched to the glove.

I copied and pasted the current CRL base onto a writing program on my computer so that I can add all the more in-depth details. I'll share the updated version here a little bit after I have written in more of the found details. Does anyone have some observations of the costume that could be implemented into a new draft? My apologies I seem to be all "I'll do this and I'll do that." This is a community after all, so suggestions and ideas are welcome :)

Also I think I have a much better source for Chest armor instead of FX armor, which is the A.M V.2. Apparantly in another build thread on here, the builder showed some good pics of it. The AM V.2 is straight, long, and has the correct curve sculpt around the shoulder area. With just a few minor mods, I think I may be using this. The main mod I can think of is installing new strap inserts at the shoulder areas.

It's funny, its supposed to be OT, but it's almost perfect for R1! I love it when things like that happen :D

Not my pics, other builder's pics from build thread
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/bro117/TK%20Armor%20Build/Bro%20AM%202%200/tk_zpsfb4rccjq.jpg

Note the curve steering away from the shoulder straps, which is very similar to the R1 trooper's. Also note the symmetry and elongated look of the whole piece.

-----------
Again with minor mods this could work. Just showing the options out there, not including any names in the CRL.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Yep, except other than his accessories there are now no differences in the armor.

Also of note, and someone may have already caught this, is that the R1 troopers belt is not actually made completely from plastic. It appears to be a plastic front over a fabric belt, similar to the OT style, with a plastic cover over the back half maybe secured with velcro? Also what's up with that scrunched up black fabric?

31670987466_888384cffa.jpg

It looks like that white fabric located behind the belt is the Velcro to hold the 2 belt halves together. You can see a grid like pattern with many small white circles.

Helmet EIB and /or Centurion level detailing for helmet:

Helmet:

For EIB and Centurion:

-Trapazoids located above the brow will have separate grey panels attached over them so that they slightly protrude.

--------  

-Tears located underneath the eyes will also be separate grey pieces that slightly protrude from the helmet, with the grill being recessed or completely etched out with a black backing.

-------

-Lenses must be bubbled, with no visible gaps between the eye socket and the lens.

-Lenses must be shade 4 or 5 green color, but dark enough to cover the wearer's eyes from being seen by viewers.

-Vocoder (black section in between the tube mics) must be made of multiple miniature pipes that are bent, and have gaps between them and the helmet (for EIB). For Centurion) The 3 center pipes can be 1 molded piece with 2 of the pipes on each end being separate, but very close to the molded part.

Optional:

-Weathering for standard troopers are present in scenes.

Like the Imperial Labor Prison Camp scene you see in the film, with the "what now? It must be another pick up." guard. He has heavy black weathering that makes him look like he tripped and fell in tar. That and very slight orange and brown dirt build up in corners of the helmet and armor are optional (see ref image of screen used costume at Celebration).

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

501st R1 TK CRL draft for updates

Written by Par_  and Daetrin

Helmet
L1

*Is symetrical.

*Lenses are dark green.

*Is as pictured.

*Tube stripes are recessed.

*The recessed section of the tube stripes are blue.

*Head opening has black trim running all along the edge.

L2
*Has all the requirements of L1.

* Tube stripe areas are indented.
* Brow trim should be positioned 1/4" above the eyes.
* Ear screws must not have a visible slot mark and be flush to the ear.
* Any gap between the ears and helmet will only appear to be a seam, not any bigger.
* Behind the frown in between the teeth is wire screen mesh. It will be dark metallic or dark grey in color.

L3
*Has all the requirements of L1 and L2.

* Only 12 tube stripes per are allowed.

*The Tube stripes are completely hollowed out with a blue section underneath.

*Brow trim’s position varies throughout the film, but is always pretty straight and will not exceed the ¼” position.

*The Blue section of the tube stripes is blue tape.
* No cut out forth tooth is allowed
* Rank bar area on ear must be of the correct RO style and pattern, no ANH style ear bumps allowed
* Frown wire screen mesh is dark grey in color, and there is nothing behind it that closes off the gaps.

Neckseal

*Neck seal is black in color.

*It is fully ribbed horizontally.

*Can either be just black fabric, or black shiny fabric that appears to resemble elastic material.

*Is tucked away or attached to the underside of the neck hole on the undersuit mentioned below.

L2 and L3

*Is shiny fabric material that resembles elastic material.

*Is attached to the underside of the neck hole of the undersuit mentioned below.

Undersuit Shirt and Gaskets

L1

*Is black.

*Is fully ribbed from top to bottom, all horizontal ribbing.

*Is made of fabric, not shiny.

*Pants are regular black undersuit pants. No tags or emblems are visible and style is up to the wearer.

*Gaskets are located at the knee, and fabric and ribs are exactly the same as the Undersuit shirt.

L2 and L3

*Has every detail listed above.

*The armpit area has a fish netting of sorts sewn in. Is black or very dark grey.

Shoulder Armor

L1

*Completely covers the majority of the wearer’s shoulder.

*Slightly covers the top of the bicep armor.

*Has 1 cover strip running directly down the middle of it.

*The edge of the shoulder armor is rounded off, including the corners slightly.

Shoulder Straps
L1

*All the slabs on the straps are a horizontal brick pattern all along it.

*At each end on the chest and back armor is a slanted slot for the straps to insert into.

*The slots on the chest and back armor are further down the shoulder areas of the armor than the ANH Stunt and Hero armors.

L2
*All the slabs are humped/round, and are not flat.

Biceps
L1

*Is perfectly symmetrical.

*Has 2 cover strips, 1 on the front and 1 on the back.

*There is another cover strip on the wearer’s outside area of the bicep. It lines up perfectly with the section of trim on the shoulder armor.

*Each cover strip section has smaller pieces of trim on top of it that does not reach each end of the trim sections.

*Armpit area has a cutout shaped like this \__/ with it’s corners at the top rounded.

L2
* Front strip is beveled and approximately 1/8" thick that does not extend beyond the bicep, and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.

L3

*Opening of the bicep is located at the back, directly at the cover strip located there. Is not intended to be a visible opening.

Forearms
L1

*Has cover strips located in the same areas as the biceps.

*The coverstrips are the same style as all the other cover strips on the other armor pieces.

*On the side is a grill with exactly 13 bars running down the middle. On the ends of each bar is a long piece of trim running up and down the grill. The trim will be seamless.

L2
* Front cover strip is beveled and approximately 1/8" thick that does not extend beyond the bicep, and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.

Gloves/handplates
L1

*Gloves are all black, with a nylon material of sorts for the top, but a different fabric for the underside of the hand.

*On the index finger is a stitched piece of fabric (same material as the hand's underside) that, while stitched to the finger, has 1 hole towards the end of the finger that reveals the netted material underneath. Like so, (_()___
*Gloves like engineering gloves can pass, as long as they are the correct style.

*Directly attached to the ends of the gloves are fabric sections that go into the fore arm armor. This prevents any visibility of the wearer’s skin.

L2
*Palms of gloves are either shiny black fabric, or can be leather or leather like material.
* Hand guards should follow the correct RO shape, ANH hand guards are not acceptable

L3
* A small indent on the front of the hand plate shall be present
* Gloves shall have the correct leather pattern along the fingers/palm

Chest Armor
L1

*Is narrow and symetrical.

*Closely resembles the R1 armor.
L2
* Bottom of chest plate shall have a return edge
* Chest and back are connected with a gloss black piece of plastic. It is as tall as the bottom sections of the chest and back armor.

Back Armor
*Top of box wall has a mini recessed section. It's rectangular in design, though us slanted slightly.

*Has correct R1 detailing.

L2

*Back box has a little drilled out hole located above the box on the right side

Abdomen Armor
L1
* Left control button area is a raised box with four buttons, the bottom being blue and the rest grey. The buttons are recessed.
* Back edge of ab plate is angle cut at approximately 70 degrees and has a small gab between the ab and kidney. At the slant, is a wide strip covering the end.
L2
* There are two vertical notches on either side of the front vertical bar that connects to the ab plate details, approximately 1" long
L3
* Ab plate detail has the correct horizontal bevel detail cut-out along the top. Button details are recessed and bordered with a thin edge.
* Cod is separated from the ab plate
* The right front raised area is rectangular with correct raised detail, unlike ANH.

Kidney Armor
*Has no detailing. The ends meet with the Abdomen armor with the slant angled parallel with the ends of the Ab armor.

*Directly in the middle is a sideways rectangular plastic section, which is separate from the Kidney.

Posterior Armor
L1

*Is shaped like the ANH Stunt and Hero posterior armor.

*Is symetrical, and completely separate from the kidney armor.

Belt
L1

*Is entirely made of plastic, made up of 2 pieces, with the halves joining directly in the middle of the wearer's side waist. The rear half overlaps the front half's ends and attach with whatever method deemed suitable by the builder.

*Has ammo boxes across the front, all of them made separately from the main belt and are secured to it.

*The ammo boxes on the very left and right of the belt are more square instead of rectangular like the center ammo boxes, and the 2nd to last ammo box is a more fat rectangular shape versus the regular rectangular shape of the center boxes. 

*Above the thighs of the wearer are located 2 hanging ammo boxes from the ammo belt.

*Is made to fit the wearer.

L2
* Belt has indents and tabs along the outside belt boxes to sit flush against the ab plate.
* Drop boxes are connected to the belt via black Velcro, not white.

Thermal detonator
L1

*Is very similar to the ANH Stunt and Hero. However, is much sharper in sculpt, and has separate pieces.

L2
* End caps are painted grey on the inside

Thigh Armor
L1

*Has the same style cover strips as the arms, with an extra cover strip on top that is slightly smaller and doesn’t reach the ends of the previous cover strip.

*Is fit to wearer

*Have raised areas directly in the middle of the front and back areas, with a piece of trim on top of each raised area.

*Are as pictured.

*On the wearer's right thigh, at the bottom is a mini ammo belt, it only exists on the front and slightly goes to the sides, but it doesn't exist in the rest of the sides or back.

*Is short enough that the sniper knee plate of the wearer's left shin doesn't catch (if you look in the film they were purposefully made shorter than the originals)

*Not too much curvature in the front (if you look at the screen caps they aren't too curved, and actually have foam paddings inserted so that it doesn't bounce around at the top)
L2
* Front cover strip is beveled and approximately 1/8" thick, and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.
* Right thigh ammo belt is secured using glue, no visible rivets shall be present.

Lower Leg Armor
L1

*Is fit to wearer

*On the wearer's left shin at the top, is a special extension called the sniper's knee plate, which will be done as pictured. It is extended forward a little bit, and no rivets are visible.

*The wearer's right shin has no special extension at the top.

*Cover strips in front and back are the same style as all the other cover strips.

L2
* Front cover strip is beveled and approximately 1/8" thick, and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.

Boots

L1
*Are all white.

*Completely black soles that are all 1 piece, with no separation at the heel. It is a completely straight sole.

*The wearer's inner side of the boots have zippers, which no Chukka boot elastic.

*Are made of leather or leather like material. Must be white.

*Are the same as the FOTK boots
Holster
Start with ANH Stunt as a base http://databank.501s...ng:TK_anh_stunt
* Holster is optional.

L2
* Holster is not present

Edited by Par_

On 12/29/2016 at 5:42 PM, SlyFox740 said:

Optional Accessory for a "standard stormtrooper" as seen in the film and according to the Rogue One visual guide, a Lucasfilm/Disney licensed book. This "field-specific kit" is a "well-secured backpack" designed for "crystal patrol duty" for capturing and "confiscating any kyber crystals from citizens, regardless of size or quality".

--------

Looking at the rear it does have the appearance of "Vac-Sealed Armoured Canisters". Considering the history and significance of Kyber Crystals in not only the Rogue One plot but the Star Wars universe in general I'd say this makes absolute perfect sense! They would definitely have been kept in "well-secured backpack" once confiscated by the empire, at least temporarily until ready for "delivery to Eadu" to be refined into fuel for their super weapon.

------

This will be an excellent Optional Accessory for the Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL, I was given permission from my garrison's GML to wear my R1 TK pack with my ANH Stunt TK armor while trooping the Canadian Premiere of Rogue One in downtown Toronto at the Scotiabank Theater and it was an absolute hit! I was one of the only troopers with a closeup on the local CTV News Toronto, also Walt Disney Studios Canada posted my picture on their facebook page. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39073-celebration-europe-2016-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-build/?p=533893

The Shoulder Pauldron is an extension of the pack as all stormtroopers seen wearing it in the film also have shoulder pauldrons of varying colors (Orange, White, Black). The Rogue One style pauldron has two extra diagonal stitches sewn across the colored area similar to the original white ones in ANH. Also the fabric on the bottom is white instead of black.

I like your idea of making the Crystal pack and pauldron optional accessories for this CRL. I'm not sure if you're up for it, but would you be willing to write the known details about the backpack for the CRL? I mean, obviously open discussion, but was wondering if you would like to kick it off so we have some information regarding them :) 

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping the thread: will try to make a better worded draft sometime this week. It will be very much the same, but will have word revisions and maybe a few more details and things concerning the level categories.<br><br>

If anyone has any new observations they'd like to point out, please post and I'll include it in the revised draft :)

FYI, you can actually submit this costume via your GML to the LMO/DL team for review, even without a completed CRL. While we can get the text prepped, has anyone completed any of the armor parts? IIRC we don't even have a model yet. While we can publish a text only CRL, it's really best if we have photos.

• Like 2

Truth be told, I am mostly certain that we can submit text only, but cannot have it green lighted until we have an acceptable photo model. Hence it is indeed best if we have the photos and a member to put forth for approval all at once.

• Like 1

Correct, we can...

1. Go text only initially

2. People can get approved even with no CRL

However #2 would require someone actually having done the costume, and if we have #2 then #1 is a miss as we'd have a full CRL :)

Rest assured the getting even a text only CRL is a high priority for the next 6 weeks.

• Like 1

As of right now, my costume is still in the quarter phase. I won't be able to provide any costume reference for people that get in without the CRL until it has been finished.

Give me this week to come up with an updated version of the CRL draft. I'll share it here like last time :D

Correct, we can...

1. Go text only initially

2. People can get approved even with no CRL

However #2 would require someone actually having done the costume, and if we have #2 then #1 is a miss as we'd have a full CRL :)

Rest assured the getting even a text only CRL is a high priority for the next 6 weeks.

I like this idea. But they'd still need a reference to work from wouldn't they?

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Steve Scott

Actually people have actually done costumes first and the text CRL was done later. Yes, there is risk but it happens more than you'd think. Reese - when is your 501st approval coming, btw?

• Like 1

Mine won't be till the end of this year. With my TK I was thinking I could use that to help with some things, but still remain a non member until the end of this year. If it follows the guidelines pretty close, maybe? I would have to tweak some things to get it to level 2, but it's definately on it's way to basic. Just acquired my shins last week :D