Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

This clip from Jimmy Kimmel Live has an exclusive scene, and it shows that normal TK's can be weathered. I think we should have an option in this CRL where the builder can either slightly weather some small areas on the armor, or heavily weather it.

Agree. You can also see that in the film, as well as on the premium HT figure that TK-14057 is pretty weathered. A nice sandy look going on. :)

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Yep, except other than his accessories there are now no differences in the armor.

Also of note, and someone may have already caught this, is that the R1 troopers belt is not actually made completely from plastic. It appears to be a plastic front over a fabric belt, similar to the OT style, with a plastic cover over the back half maybe secured with velcro? Also what's up with that scrunched up black fabric?

31670987466_888384cffa.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain that bunched up fabric is extra padding in the gaps of the leg armor, in order to keep it from bouncing around. There was a Deathtrooper photo where you see a brick shaped fabric padding that is sticking out of his thigh armor, and someone thought it might be padding. It's not on the belt, but it's behind the thigh armor.

In regards to the belt, good find on the possible fabric behind the plastic! Yeah for a while the belt seemed all plastic, but it would add extra strenght to add a fabric belt behind it.

Also of note is that according to this snippet in the new book 'STAR WARS Rogue One: The Complete Visual Guide'--

"On Jehda, troopers wearing variant armor are known as sandtroopers. Filtration systems prevent dust contamination that would clog standard armor breathing ports over time. The cooling units employed on hot desert worlds are not needed on the cold moon."

Does that mean those variants will belong to MEPD? Have these written materials been reference for decisions like this in the past?

31677890816_e604e29802_z.jpg

• Like 2

FYI there is already a major discussion on the Legion boards as to where the shoretrooper will go. Likely SpecOps or if they can get the numbers and wherewhithal, their own detachment.

My $$ is on SpecOps for now. I doubt there will ever be enough troopers to really sustain a detachment, but I could be wrong.

• Like 3

There is a thread on the Shoretrooper being a TK and not a Scout a few threads below ;)

Btw, here is what I have so far for eligible R1 TK armor.

Chest and back pieces: FX Stormtrooper armor. I know you are all sighing in your heads, but with mods these can work. The front chest armor is more symetrical, and the only major mods needed on both pieces are putting the sloped slots around the shoudler areas for the shoulder straps to insert into, and connecting them under the arm with black plastic pieces. Along with fixing the back armor center box to correct R1 details, like the extra plastic panel put over the box wall tops, and making an artificial seam along the inside next to the walls. Look at the Sandtrooper photos above. The chest armor is a tiny bit straight.

Imperial Boots T7 Boots. Link below. Through info someone found out, they appear to be FOTK boots, with the flat sole and zip up the side.

Helmet: Black Series R1 TK helmet (heavily modded).

Also here is more info on the arms that can be contributed to the CRL draft:

Shoulder bells:

-Are straight at the sides, but are curved and round at the top. Down the center is 1 single raised strip of plastic, be it already part of the mold, or inserted on.

-Is same color as rest of armor.

-Sides are L shaped, so that it's profile looks like so,  L)

Biceps:

-Are straight, but in the arm pit location, has a cut out to allow for easier articulation. It will look like so, \__/

-In the middle, front and back sides, will be 1 straight piece of plastic, that is raised on another plastic strip, either molded into the bicep already or placed on.

-Appears to be seamless, however seams are encouraged as long as they are hidden.

Fore arms:

-They have same styles of trim along the front and back sides like the biceps, being raised by an additional layer of plastic strip.

-On the side is a grill with exactly 13 bars running down the middle. On the ends of each bar is a long piece of trim running up and down the grill. The trim will be seamless.

Gloves and Handguards:

-Gloves are all black, with a netting material of sorts for the top, but a different fabric for the underside of the hand.

-On the index finger is a stitched piece of fabric (same material as the hand's underside) that, while stitched to the finger, has 1 hole towards the end of the finger that reveals the netted material underneath. Like so, (_()___

-Handguards' shape is as pictured.

-Handguards have a sudden obtuse angle towards the thumb of the hand.

-In the middle of the handguard is a tapered piece of trim straight down the middle, and before reaching the bottom, immediately spreads out and covers the entire end.

Hopefully you guys get the general idea of what I mean, I know my phrasing isn't the best, but it's getting there lol! I'll contribute more sometime, but for now I would like to get to finishing the Black Series helmet and building the rest of the armor so that I can submit my research to the 501st eventually. Obviously, I can't submit my costume for approval yet, but I can submit the costume with my research and CRL draft to show it's potential and accuracy, that way they have a visual to go with the draft, so we have a CRL up and running.

Yup, I'm determined to do this :)

Edited by Par_

Paul, I thought it had already been decided that Pathfinders would be receiving the Shoretrooper?

Check your Legion boards :) It was, but the overwhelming evidence and opinion is that it should go to SpecOps or form it's own detachment. Personally I think it should go to SpecOps for now. Starting a detachment is far harder than most people realize.

• Like 1

Not to mention...I think once the initial buzz around the film dies down..these guys won't be half as "in fashion" as they are now. I can't see them being a big enough deal to need their own det.

Sent from my R4 unit using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also of note is that according to this snippet in the new book 'STAR WARS Rogue One: The Complete Visual Guide'--

"On Jehda, troopers wearing variant armor are known as sandtroopers. Filtration systems prevent dust contamination that would clog standard armor breathing ports over time. The cooling units employed on hot desert worlds are not needed on the cold moon."

Does that mean those variants will belong to MEPD? Have these written materials been reference for decisions like this in the past?

31677890816_e604e29802_z.jpg

So every single stormtrooper on Jedha is a sandtrooper? Due to the same armor, what element can be used to distinguish tk from td?

I'm quite confused...

I think honestly they don't know what the H they are talking about sometimes. "I'll take a TK, put on a pauldron, weather it, and hey it's a sandtrooper. Take *that* 501st. Hahahahahahaha". I bet they are laughing in their blue milk... :Laser:

• Like 5

Hopefully I'll actually begin collecting parts and other goods around the beginning of the year (around the next few months that is), but don't quote me on that. Mainly parts for modding and such. I'll post my armor over on my WIP, and maybe a few images here so that we have a fan build to go with the CRL guideline draft.<br><br>

I'm actually thinking of weathering mine a little bit, but not too much. I like some of the weathering on the sand troopers from Celebration. They are subtle hints of dirt and scratches at the corners of areas. I'll also do black in areas too.

IMHO we're looking at two different troopers. There's a clear difference between the R1 TK and TD, both of which were equipped with backpacks, well at least some of the TKs were. The TK armor is generally not dirty (weathered), though his backpack is. The TD seen above in the magazine clearly has weathered armor. The backpacks are also different, well, at least the antennas are. Unfortunately without screen shots, behind the scene images, first hand knowledge provided by either the writers, Lucas or Disney, neither troopers received enough screen time to clearly differentiate their rolls.  

If we indeed have a new version TD then someone on the MEPD will probably get a thread going to start processing details.

• Like 1

.... and to be clear, it appears quite obvious the troopers in the mag where photo shopped in. I'll have to see the movie again this weekend to see if there's actual scenes clearly showing TDs. It's also possible they're on the cutting room floor.  

On 7/21/2016 at 5:20 AM, Dark CMF said:

Helmet

* Tube stripe areas are indented

I believe the tube stripes are actually cut all the way through the plastic with a layer of blue underneath.

This is image is from the ILM Archaeology Panel at Star Wars Celebration Europe.

-------

-------

If you look closely you'll notice the gaps between the white and blue layers, the top white layer is also casting shadows onto the bottom blue layer. These 'tube stripes' edges and corners are cut much to sharply to simply be "indented". Similar to the teeth cut-outs in current TK buckets they appear to be shaped with a small file.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Yup. I'm not exactly sure if it's blue tape or what underneath, because you can see overlaps over each blue piece. After all, in a recent interview the head of costuming (I can't remember if it was that person or what) said that they designed them as vents.

Also, very true, but one can make clean enough indentations that it could possibly pass basic. Especially since making sharp edges is very easy in hand sculpting, this effect can be easily achieved if one is hand sculpting the helmet from scratch. I haven't seen one like this yet, but it is possible. We don't want to be too reserved and strict with this CRL in particular, seeing as one can acquire certain characteristics and looks by other means not 100% accurate, and this is only basic we are talking here. What I would like to do is see if we can keep this one just a little bit flexible, like the Kylo Ren CRL. That one has multiple options for the outer robe fabric, and with other parts it is somewhat forgiving. I am hoping we could keep this one like that, especially since not a lot of people will notice the gaps between the blue and the recessed white areas in the tube stripes much. As long as one's helmet has the look, it should be ok, especially since the gaps are not very huge in the screen used helmet.

Edited by Par_