Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

28089831290_dacf84d8be_c.jpg

Rogue One Stormtrooper Reference CE 2016 by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

The under suit is similar to the DT and ST under suits, not rubber definitely fabric, and of course different fabric to both the others.

Construction seems to be ribbed for elbow, knees, shoulders and top arms (assume whole arm?), chest and neck seal.  As with the shore trooper there's a mesh section under the armpits.  It appears that the hip section is smooth with no ribbing.

Full gallery of images submitted in evidence: https://www.flickr.com/photos/themaninthesuitcase/albums/72157671098462536/with/28268756232/

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 10:38 PM, Alay said:

Two hi-res pictures I saw today.  Spotted a few differences, hopefully it helps...

------------

Noted differences I spotted:

• Helmets not have notches for the blue lines around the side.
  • Teeth look a bit narrower than ANH TK.
  • Hands have ANH style guards.  They might be solid as all the pictures seem to have them in roughly the same shape.
  • E-11 has something new to the right side of it... flashlight?
  • Thermal Detonator covers are gray on the inside.
  • Cover strips are a triangular shape (not looking forward to making those...)
  • Codpiece looks detached now.
  • First Order style gasket under the knee?
  • Ab detail is different... notch at the top now.
  • Ab/Kidney connection seems to be raised and at an angle.
  • Forearms have square notches

Cover strips.... almost looks like 2 on top of each other in different sizes.

There is a hole in the top right back of armour

Calves seem to flare out at bottom as well

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

It actually appears to me that the "ridge" or cap piece around the top of the shin is a separate piece that is attached to the top of the shins.

If that is the case, I imagine that doing it that way allowed for better customization of the fit of the armor to the individual trooper.

Thoughts?  Does anyone else see what I'm seeing, or do you see something different?

• Like 2

It actually appears to me that the "ridge" or cap piece around the top of the shin is a separate piece that is attached to the top of the shins.

If that is the case, I imagine that doing it that way allowed for better customization of the fit of the armor to the individual trooper.

Thoughts?  Does anyone else see what I'm seeing, or do you see something different?

Yep sure looks that way doesn't it

Yep. I saw that as well. I would sure love to have a look at one of these suits hands on.

Thoughts? Does anyone else see what I'm seeing, or do you see something different?

It does look that way, so if it is, then considering how the sins need to flex open to get into, the ridge would need to be constructed of a flexible type material. You could 3D print the shape, make moulds and cast in A white rubber to get the hard edges and allow for flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there's a lot of parts on the new armours that will need to be cast, the back plate details being a perfect example. The actual armour it's self looked to be molded in some way, just vac forming is what the market is current set up for and is what people know.

• Like 1

I see the thigh ammopack is glued instead of riveted. And there is no canvas belt. It's all ABS. There is a connection between Chest and Back armor which is looking like shiny plastic. Indeed a lot of new parts. The whole armor is looking way thicker and more protective compared to the OT armor.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm brand new here, but I have been researching quite a bit.  From what I can see from other builds and the CRL are the following (See if you agree  :) , I'm just the new guy!!! ):

• Life support buttons are different layout.  
  • Also, the helmet has all the details of the Hasbro Black Series helmet (as I bought one yesterday for Halloween). 
  • Sunken in Blue marks instead of painted.  
  • Traps and tears are also not "hand painted" look.
  • Rectangles on ears are very different
  • Vocoder is a coating/additional piece instead of paint
  • Undersuit looks like ribbed fabric
  • Beveled cuts on the cover strips on forearm, biceps, thighs, and shins
  • Shoulder straps different
Edited by milani01

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I wonder if the prop guys thought "Yeah, we could just use what's in ANH but where is the fun in that? Let's see the 501st try to replicate this!"

• Like 5

Paul as much as I'd like to agree with you I wouldn't put money down on any costume specifications coming from the Hot Toys series that could be used in the CRL. Their FOTK accessories were proven to be incorrect in a few areas. I think it's best we wait for actual movie screen shots.

The gloves are already proven to be the same style as the FOTK. Here's a pic from celebration.

However, the Hot toys is wrong about the front trim on the Thigh pieces. The trim isn't indented at the sides, its 1 trim on top of another layer built into the thigh.

IMG_00171.jpg

Edited by Par_
  • Like 1

From what I figure, this is what I have run down on the chest armor.

Modified FX chest armor can be used for the R1 chest armor in basic, seeing as it's much sharper/a little longer than your normal traditional armor. If you widen the sides slightly with a heatgun (or steam), it would look better and should be allowed to pass basic (seeing as the much pickier details are reserved for Centurion and such).

I would like to be able to build this costume, but mainly my budget isn't very vast, and somewhat around the budget of my CRL guided Kylo (above $500 but below $1,000). So the FX chest piece seemed like the best option, and might be able to save me some money. I don't have the money to buy much better kits sadly, so I'll have to go this route.

Edited by Par_

From what I figure, this is what I have run down on the chest armor.

Modified FX chest armor can be used for the R1 chest armor in basic, seeing as it's much sharper/a little longer than your normal traditional armor. If you widen the sides slightly with a heatgun (or steam), and give the upper part more of a curve, it would look better and should be allowed to pass basic (seeing as the much pickier details are reserved for Centurion and such).

I would like to be able to build this costume, but mainly my budget isn't very vast, and somewhat around the budget of my CRL guided Kylo (above $500 but below $1,000). So the FX chest piece seemed like the best option, and might be able to save me some money. I don't have the money to buy much better kits sadly, so I'll have to go this route.

In my opinion there is no armor being produced today that would meet R1 TK 501st requirements without serious modifications. From the Helmet down, this is a new beast. Yea it's white, it looks like the OTTK, some areas have similar connections, but that's where similarities stop. Still waiting for someone start making kits.

• Like 5

So are you saying it's the FOTK gloves but without the white panels attached? They don't look like my FOTK gloves in that regard when I compare to the screen caps. Can you show a side by side?

In my opinion there is no armor being produced today that would meet R1 TK 501st requirements without serious modifications. From the Helmet down, this is a new beast. Yea it's white, it looks like the OTTK, some areas have similar connections, but that's where similarities stop. Still waiting for someone start making kits.

Well, for the OT we started with OOTB FX for years and it was good enough to get the Legion going. Also, the Alpha 75 ANOVOS FOTK kits weren't as accurate as what is coming out now, but they are still 501st approvable. Anyone remember the Glover EP2 clone kits? Best you could get at the time, but not really acceptable any more.

My $.02 is we'll start the CRL with what is readily achievable with what we have, and then put the high accuracy at EI/Centurion. Probably in a year or two if these costumes take off we'll revise. Or, this variation may never truly get custom armor made, so we'll see...

• Like 2

I'm with both of you...  

This armor is NOT OT TK armor.

Current kits will need to be modified and accepted for the time being, unless kits start popping up and then we'll eventually see proper CRL annotations and models in use.

Well, for the OT we started with OOTB FX for years and it was good enough to get the Legion going. Also, the Alpha 75 ANOVOS FOTK kits weren't as accurate as what is coming out now, but they are still 501st approvable. Anyone remember the Glover EP2 clone kits? Best you could get at the time, but not really acceptable any more.

My $.02 is we'll start the CRL with what is readily achievable with what we have, and then put the high accuracy at EI/Centurion. Probably in a year or two if these costumes take off we'll revise. Or, this variation may never truly get custom armor made, so we'll see...

I like your thinking ;) I was going to modify some already existing armor (for instance, the FX chest armor).

Also, the gloves are First Order styled. Actually on the hot toys it looks like the palms/thumb area of the gloves have more of a tactical feel. There is an opening on the palm of the thump with another layer of fabric underneath.

I'm with both of you...  

This armor is NOT OT TK armor.

Current kits will need to be modified and accepted for the time being, unless kits start popping up and then we'll eventually see proper CRL annotations and models in use.

Yup!

Referring to the last part, even then we need to still have the generic basic feel of the basic approval path. More in depth details are reserved for Centurion and so on.

I would love to help in whatever way I can develop the Basic Approval guidelines with you guys if you'd like :)

Edited by Par_