Beginners question on forearm sizing

Shears

Following a couple great builds, but looking for clarity on properly sizing forearms. 

I've removed the lower return edges, and while wrist circumference is fine, the upper bit  needs to come in a ton from the cut lines on the anovos kit.

If I painters-tape it to fit properly my arm and draw a line tracing the rear butt connection overlap, can I cut diagonally on just one piece?   If so, I fear I'll lose some of the shaping/symmetry. Is this normal? 

Thanks!

I think you'll want to split the cut among the two halves to maintain the proportions among the two halves, or else I can picture it making the cover strip run at a funny angle on the arm.

That said, if the forearm is too long for you, most people trim it back from the wrist side (remove a "bump" from the ridgeline with the indentations) instead of the elbow side.

All THAT said, I would seriously consider holding off cutting down the arms until you have the whole armor built up. How things lie on the body, especially the arms, usually needs all the pieces working together in concert to see how they'll actually work together. You need the biceps connected to see how the bend works, and the shoulder caps on to see how high the bicep should be, and the shoulder caps connected to the armor to make sure they're in the position they'll actually be in, with everything together.

So that's my recommendation: Wait. Build the rest of your armor, first, to be sure. Trimming it now or later won't matter from a timing standpoint, in terms of overall build time, but it you end up more than you wanted how, once you see how it all goes together, you'll have a heck of a time trying to extend things back. Cutting off plastic bits is a drastic step that's hard to reverse.

So that's my recommendation: Wait. 

Funny enough, i'm reading through your build right now. : )

Probably a good decision to wait though, so thank you. I've got everything rough cut at this point, and was going to start my assembling there (mostly because it seemed the easiest). Seems like you'd recommend doing torso first? Where should my first fitting cuts go? 

Funny enough, i'm reading through your build right now. : )

Probably a good decision to wait though, so thank you. I've got everything rough cut at this point, and was going to start my assembling there (mostly because it seemed the easiest). Seems like you'd recommend doing torso first? Where should my first fitting cuts go?

All I can do is give advice based off my own experience, but I try to explain my own thinking. If you disagree, have at, because there's a zillion ways of building armor right, and mine is certainly not the only one. :)

So here's my thinking: I'd recommend doing the torso first, because that's basically the part that is always going to fit the same for your body trunk, and there's really no trimming to be done, just fitting, possible shimming if you have a gut like mine, and possibly bending the shoulder straps (carefully! see my build thread) up so the back plate lays flatter on your back.

Once the torso is fit to your body then all the other parts come into play, because how they lie on your limbs depends on a lot on exactly where the armor torso is laying on your body, and the limbs attach to the torso. So without the torso on, it's nearly impossible to know exactly how high up the arm the bicep needs to be, and once the bicep is on (in the right place, according to the shoulder cap which attaches to the top of the trunk armor), you can determine how the forearms fit and whether they need to be trimmed if you have shorter arms.

I'm assuming your arms physically fit through the arm armor, and your legs fit through the thighs and calves. Once you see it all together, and on (with boots!), then you can see if you're going to need to shorten the shin bottoms, or perhaps do some small cutouts on the back of the shins and/or thighs at the back of the knee for mobility, etc.

I'm trying to multitask at the office, so I hope that was clearer than mud, as I have my doubts. :) Please feel to ask more questions if I was less than clear about anything!

Please feel to ask more questions if I was less than clear about anything!

Thanks so much, this is great advice. Going to tackle some of this torso work tonight. In the meantime, quick question so I can multitask: did you use primer or sanding or anything before you plasti-dipped your bucket? I was about to start taping her up after removing all the Anovos rigging/eyes/screens, but figured i'd see if there was anything else I should do before that. I didn't see it mentioned in your build, but I could've missed it. 

TS

Thanks so much, this is great advice. Going to tackle some of this torso work tonight. In the meantime, quick question so I can multitask: did you use primer or sanding or anything before you plasti-dipped your bucket? I was about to start taping her up after removing all the Anovos rigging/eyes/screens, but figured i'd see if there was anything else I should do before that. I didn't see it mentioned in your build, but I could've missed it.

No, I didn't use primer or sand anything prior to spraying the plastidip in the helmet. I just stripped the helmet down to bare plastic, cleaned it THOROUGHLY (Windex then rubbing alcohol to remove any chemical additives that remained from the Windex), and then masked the heck out of it (as the pictures show in my build thread).

Edited by kman