Rogue One Stormtrooper Back Pack part found

For those that are interested we have just posted the found part for the R1 TK back pack antenna on the FISD site. It will be going up on Parts of Star Wars today. Cheap and available in the UK online at the moment. The Avanti Precision X 12Ft float rod.

Available from

http://www.sportsdirect.com/avanti-precision-x-12ft-float-rod-942037?colcode=94203703

http://us.sportsdirect.com/avanti-precision-x-12ft-float-rod-942037?colcode=94203703

For a more in depth analysis you can read ireachy's write up here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39073-celebration-europe-2016-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-build/page-3

6 x 1 inch cam buckles for the sleeping bag<br><br>

5 x 25mm antique brass gliders or more?<br><br>

Cotton Dark olive drab strapping for sleeping bag<br><br>

More nylon strapping for securing the patsy to the frame? <<br><br>

Henry, is this what I need to order of each type of buckle? Just don't want to over or under order. Shipping kills!

great info in the straps!!  Thanks  waiting on the other info!!   resisting purchasing but have an event pending wanna get this puppy built!

Thanks again!

You're Very Welcome. Don't purchase anything unless you know for sure it is the correct part, you will waste your money.

6 x 1 inch cam buckles for the sleeping bag

5 x 25mm antique brass gliders or more?

Cotton Dark olive drab strapping for sleeping bag

More nylon strapping for securing the patsy to the frame?

Henry, is this what I need to order of each type of buckle? Just don't want to over or under order. Shipping kills!

Brian you will need more than 5 Webbing Gliders, there are 4 on the front of the main flap alone, 2 securing the bottom of the ALICE Pack to the frame, and possibly 2 more securing the top of the ALICE pack to the frame.

Maybe it's your spelling, I'm not even sure what you're referring to but I don't believe any additional strapping is needed other than the Olive Drab Cotton Webbing.

Have you ordered the main components to the pack?  Swedish M-75 Military Back Pack, Norwegian Grenade Case, U.S.G.I. ALICE Pack, Woodland Camo Enhanced Shoulder Straps?

Maybe it's your spelling, I'm not even sure what you're referring to but I don't believe any additional strapping is needed other than the Olive Drab Cotton Webbing.

Sorry I didnt check my spelling. I meant parts.

Already the antique brass gliders say out of stock- just my luck!

I messaged the eBay supplier for the 25mm Antique Brass webbing gliders, he informed me they should be back in stock in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Molded-solid-cast-adjuster-slide-buckles-strap-suspender-webbing-glide-ladder-/181396564350?var=&hash=item2a3c13e97e:m:mkAxrN4GZW1Wo4ODNaTCBpw

Looking closely at the straps holding down the main flap of the ALICE pack they do not appear to be the original straps that come on the pack. The straps that normally come included on ALICE packs are usually made of 25mm Nylon webbing, where as these appear to be 25mm Polypropylene webbing. Probably the most common type of webbing available.

image_zpsetralabk.jpeg

If you look at the comparison photo below it's clear to see that the original Nylon webbing in the left image does not match the webbing in the right image, neither in weave pattern nor color. Both images are taken from the same photo of the same prop yet the image on the right appears to be Black 25mm Polypropylene webbing. Notice the ends of the straps are fraying and not sewn similar to the cotton straps holing down the "sleeping bag/tent cover" this along with the fact that the original buckles were replaced may indicate the straps themselves were also replaced.

image_zpslv2rkcgk.jpeg

Notice the significant difference in weave pattern, also the colors do not match exactly. In the left image the original ALICE pack straps are OD Green Nylon dyed black which explains the greenish patches, you can also see the threading used to sew the straps is still OD Green so obviously it did not take to the dye very well. The image on the right appears to be plain black webbing, Polypropylene and Polyester synthetics are stain resistant and do not take dye very well if at all, this fact combined with the consistent black color and distinctive weave pattern lead me to believe the original ALICE pack main straps were replaced with Black 25mm Polypropylene Webbing.

Perhaps the strongest evidence of the main straps being replaced is the removal of the straps from the bottom of the pack, these are usually sewn in place from front to back and they appear to have been completely removed! This would require a seam ripper to tear out the threads in order to completely remove the straps on the bottom of the pack.

PackBottom2_zpsgjzffjnw.jpg

Last but not least here is a confirmed photo I took of a Nylon strap from a USGI ALICE Pack on the left (undyed), and common 25mm Black Polypropylene Webbing on the right.

image_zpsbmwh8wij.jpeg

Don't just take my word for it, google images of polypropylene webbing and judge for yourself. Pay attention to the weave pattern.

Black 25mm Polypropylene Webbing from Google images;

25mm%20Black%20PP.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

So which is it guys?  A Black Alice pack or Olive Drab?  read somewhere here that it was confirmed a black one was used on the CE one... I have both.. which one do I use to be accurate?

Thanks in Advance!

I don't think it was ever confirmed to be a black ALICE Pack, somebody that attended CE just said "It was definitely black at Celebration" meaning that it was definitely black on the display, not that it was originally black. It has already been confirmed to be a USGI issue Large OD Green ALICE Pack dyed black.  https://www.facebook.com/PartsofSW/photos/ms.c.eJwzNDCwNDI2NrEwtTAztTQ20jOECBhaGJkaG5kZWQIAcSIGqw~-~-.bps.a.1004258153030132.1073741862.193037424152213/1009233485865932/?type=3&theater

So which is it guys?  A Black Alice pack or Olive Drab?  read somewhere here that it was confirmed a black one was used on the CE one... I have both.. which one do I use to be accurate?

Thanks in Advance!

It is definitely the green pack. Close observation of the CE pack shows the original colour coming through the black. the pack has been coloured black however it is not a true black. We will be posting materials and techniques very soon showing how the same look can be achieved.

Who can tell me the difference between the LC I and LC II ALICE pack?<br>

The bags don't look different to me.

As far as I know, they are only a different revision.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

It is definitely the green pack. Close observation of the CE pack shows the original colour coming through the black. the pack has been coloured black however it is not a true black. We will be posting materials and techniques very soon showing how the same look can be achieved.

Thank you!!  Will be following close on the best way to weather this!!

Hi 

Was having a dig around my workshop having a bit of a sort out came across this

Pack%20Tip%201_zpsajzlektj.jpg

Not sure if it is the same as the tip on the antenna but looks close and is in the size range. it is made from soft plastic the hole is 5mm ID so a little bigger but could be packed .

thanks

• Like 1

I believe the tip to be cylindrical and not tapered. The way the light reflects from the tip down the right side is deceiving. I do not think the prop guys would have packed the inner diameter for a tight fit. Its speculation but it would be nice and neat if it fitted without having to be glued in place etc. I have found a number of tips that fit the width of the rod but the shape of the tips I have are not correct. I have looked at rubber RC car antenna tips. Ferrules of all shapes and sizes. Wire/cabel end protector caps. Cord ends. CB aerial tips. AV whip tips. The closest I have found that matches the shape and also has some of the details that the CE presents is this shown in the image below. The tip from a panasonic G450/G600 mobile phone antenna. This I cannot find available anyway for sale and may be obsolete so I can't source one to trial. This may be enough reason why it was not used for the part anyway. For a temporary fix I am using a hard plastic CB antenna tip as it looks cool. I am still pursuing down the route of CB or Phone antenna tip, something built for purpose.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-02%20at%2012.31.

14885866_1805100906441213_161464330_n_zp

Here are some comparison pictures of the tips I sourced next to the CE tip.

14886301_1803964743221496_442773607_n_zp

14894440_10154903252712448_638539979_o_z

14885764_1803951213222849_214501267_n_zp

14875252_10154903302602448_2035443326_n_

14699717_1803983843219586_1863747653_n_z

Edited by mr paul

I have been looking into what kind of material was used for the antenna wire and came across a few items that may work for this part. These are just my ideas, not actual used parts on the movie pack.<br><br>

Already posted this one in the celebration thread but thought to add it here.<br>

1. Aquarium air tubing . Very cheap, matte black color, roughly 5mm OD. Walls are thin so some additional thinner tubing would be needed to run though the tube to make it look better where it wraps around the pole. <br><br>

2. Actual electrical wire- if you can manage to remove the inner wiring the rubber insulation looks the part for sure. I was not able to do this successfully but maybe there is a way to do it. The parts I did remove the Irving looks really good.<br><br>

3. Fuel line hose- this seems to be close to the electrical wire idea without the wire! Thick 3mm walls as the celebration pack team recommends with an OD of 5mm. It even comes in a slightly thicker 5.5mmOD x 3.5mmID if 5mm looks to slim. No chance to get my hands on this yet but will update if I do. <br><br>

Top antenna cap is tough to pin don but from the photos it looks like the very bottom of the cap tapers in a bit . Sort of appears to be a soft material like rubber not harder plastic. Wish there was a better photo of this to study.

Henry, how much of the cotton olive drab strapping will I need to order? 10yards or just 5? Also not sure how much I will need for the two straps that hold the Alice pack to the frame. No time to get to Tokyo to look for this stuff, easier to order it and have it done with. Any advice for ordering the lengths on these is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bulldog44

I put together a 3D printed clip for myself and made it available if any of you are interested.  It ends up being cheaper than the real thing depending on the material you pick:

Complete clip (single piece):

4 piece kit (lets you mix and match materials):

1479221466_Clip.PNG

• Like 4

I put together a 3D printed clip for myself and made it available if any of you are interested. It ends up being cheaper than the real thing depending on the material you pick:

Complete clip (single piece):

4 piece kit (lets you mix and match materials):

1479221466_Clip.PNG
Nice work on this! Looks great. Wish I had my own personal 3D printer make try it out. Thanks for making the 3D model.

Today I finished my Rogue One Backpack. Thank you all for the useful information here and in the build thread!

Here are some pictures:

A10A7DE6-9ADB-4390-8608-E5DFC18ACD6E_zps

F9DD05AA-A73D-45E9-A36E-DE527ED9E5ED_zps

D0BBA5C3-160F-4FC4-AEA8-442FB8143D71_zps

8B577E96-FC3F-498F-B17F-3D46A981A283_zps

1C3E2980-8A5A-4839-BDA3-C8A007B81053_zps

The canvas roll is made from scratch. I basically made a long pillow of olive canvas. It is as good as everything else but much cheaper.

For the antenna cable I inserted a 1mm cable into the silicone hose (ID3/OD5) to keep the shape of the original antenna at CE 2016.

For the color of the ALICE pack I simply used flat black spray paint.

What do you think? I'm happy about every recommendation to improve the pack. :)

Cheers

Christian

Edited by Novak Dimon
  • Like 1

Thank you Brian! :)

I'll do some weathering soon. Need to get some proper color first.

The antenna tip is made of the button of a pen.

7B8C882A-B6BF-46A1-B6FE-2A78D6DFF81D_zps

I used PlastiDip for the rubber finish. The shape isn't 100% correct but not too far away from the real thing.

166601C6-0A5F-4763-B74F-B95E33F20AF6_zps

Cheers

Christian