KCP First Order F-11D Studio Replica Blaster

I don't think we'll have issues going to the UK. There's so many parts to this, besides the grip, that look nothing like a real firearm. Worse case scenario, I contact one of mates in the UK film community and see what we can come up with. I've shipped in and out of the UK with no issues. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

• Like 2

I'm going to try and keep costs down as much as I can. The things we need to keep in mind is all metal parts will be machined metal. Rubber will be rubber. all main parts will be cast in a high performance plastic. Front site guard I will be laser cutting and forming over a jig just like the production props. I'm printing all the masters on my Objet printer and then pull the molds. I'll be printing at 16 microns which is .0005 of an inch. That resolution means extremely low to no surface prep. Once I clean off the support material, I only need to glass bead the parts before priming. Another words.... no build lines for you guys to worry about. Basically, the only difference between my guns and production will be how crisp the details will be. Keep in mind the studio guns were thrown together fast for filming. <br><br>

So, these will be high end quality but I'm going to see how low I can get the numbers. I only use high end platinum silicones for 0 shrink and plastics for strength and durability.

• Like 1

So cool to have them cast in plastic instead of resin! Even though I won't be able to afford one, I'm really looking forward to see what you can come up with. This will be the difference between fans making garage stuff, and a professional in the industry making props for a living I guess.

Hi Germain... yup... I use a two part thermo-set high performance plastic. It's similar to resin with respect to mixing. However, the plastic that I use far exceeds specs of the typical resins out there. <br><br>

....and Ben, I know you'll be happy with this if you decide to buy one.

Here is the grip pad details. Again, I'll be casting these out of black rubber. Well guys.... I'm almost ready to start a list up for this run. I'll have a cost for you by Friday.

Cheers

5G3a1tC.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 3

Today I'll be wrapping up any small detail I'll have left to CAD. Some members have reached out to me regarding the accuracy of my CAD. Fair questions. So, I'll address that here. For those that would be interested in knowing, I have been working on this model on and off for over a month. I created all my measurements using the following tools. For all the basic easy measurements I used Starrett calipers and micrometers. I also used my Creaform scanner for any difficult areas and took that data into Geomagic Design X. So, the CAD is dimensionally spot on. My scanner has an accuracy of about .001 to .002<br><br>

So, to give you guys an idea of accuracy, I'll give you the following example. My scanner holds between .001 and .002 accuracy. The thickness of a standard sheet of paper is around .005 LOL <br><br>

(Drops mic)<br><br>

P.S. Don't ask what the donors were that I'm using.

• Like 2

Looks amazing! Depending on the price I might be interested in two kits. Thanks for the updates and information. Exciting to see this progress and can't wait to see actual kit parts casted when that starts happening. Love how you are having metal parts machined and the grip casted in black rubber. Cheers for doing this!

Well guys.... here it is. CAD is 100% complete and exact to screen used production prop. Tomorrow the metal should be here and I can start programing things on the CAM side and machine parts. I'm also going to start printing the master patterns. I already have all the exact fasteners that were used on the production props. Some of the blasters had various other fasteners used but that was mainly due to repairs etc. Also, the 10% larger guns had additional fasteners. So, I think at this time, we should begin a interest list. Please only hop on this list if you're truly interested. I can't give an exact cost yet as I need to look at my cycle times for the machining, print hours and post processing, material costs.... mold and casting supplies. Keep in mind that these kits will not be makerbot type prints. I'm using my commercial polyjet machine.

Enjoy!

P.S. Germain.... concentrate on the last pic, you should be able to walk away with insight on some overlooked details. Look closely at the frame. Cheers

kwciNUy.jpggfSN1lh.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Well, i´m definately interested atm - but at the end it depends from several factors if i buy. 

Will we see the real parts before we have to say yes/no? As this stuff is not real, like sabers and blasters in the OT which were build from real world stuff, it all comes down to what the endresult looks, costs, and its materials and build/machined/cast quality.

• Like 1

P.S. Germain.... concentrate on the last pic, you should be able to walk away with insight on some overlooked details. Look closely at the frame. Cheers

Holy sh...!! Got it. And I'm staggered by what I see! This is a huge overlooked detail by me that has a lot of repercussions...

Thanks for the hint Ken.

Edited by The5thHorseman