KCP First Order F-11D Studio Replica Blaster

Greetings First Order. My name is Ken Palkow and I'm a Hollywood special effects, weapons, and prop fabricator. For those that don't know me, if you're a movie and scifi fan, I'm sure you've seen my work. I've built everything from phasers and gadgets in the JJ Star Trek films to Gold tablets in Night at the Museum.<br><br>

I see a lot of First Order guys looking for a highly accurate F-11D replica. The wait is over. I have just finished working on Death Note and will be starting on this project. I will be doing a run of high end replicas of this cool blaster and, yes, I'll be using my CAD model of the real deal. What does this mean to you guys? It means an exact replica. Dimensionally the exact same thing. It means made exactly the same way. The only difference is these will not be made under strict deadlines so they will look crisp and perfect. <br><br>

So, stay tuned for follow up postings. <br><br>

P.S. Sorry to all you guys for not being able to have these done before SDCC.

I've searched a little for your name and work on the internet after your post on my topic, and yes you seem extremely talented. I'll be looking forward to what this replica will look like.

I must say with a SLA and Waterjet 3D printers you can create pretty much anything a lot more easily, as long as you have the CAD skills, which you obviously seem to have.

Can we have more informations about from where the 3D model comes from? Did you design the master model used for the film? Or did you scan an original to create your CAD model?

Edited by The5thHorseman

Well, masters done and molds pulled in August. I had an severe eye injury and my vision in my right eye is completely blurred out due to a combination of blunt force trauma and severe scratches of the top outer eye covering. So, it halted things for a few days. Actually, a dear friend of mine (morgan13), who has been supplying that one Stormtrooper blaster for years, is flying out to my shop and we're going to be pulling molds and casting as soon as I finish machining and printing the masters. Shawn, you can chime in here if you like.

• Like 3

Well, masters done and molds pulled in August. I had an severe eye injury and my vision in my right eye is completely blurred out due to a combination of blunt force trauma and severe scratches of the top outer eye covering. So, it halted things for a few days. Actually, a dear friend of mine (morgan13), who has been supplying that one Stormtrooper blaster for years, is flying out to my shop and we're going to be pulling molds and casting as soon as I finish machining and printing the masters. Shawn, you can chime in here if you like.

Sweet.  I'm looking forward to it!

I remember having badly injured one of my eye a year ago. It was so bad that I couldn't keep any of them open and had to stay in complete darkness with both eyes shut for a whole week, and only slowly recovered sight during the following week. That was a very tough, and boring (basically a week spent lying in my bed unable do to anything), experience. 

So I hope this is not as bad for you Ken ;).

Lol.... yup... blame it on Max my fracking min pin. When we were rough housing about a year ago, he took out my left eye. I let it go for a few days and ended up with an extremely bad situation. The other morning the dog was up on the bed looking down at my face. I started to growl to begin rough housing and he literally took his paw and with one swat in the face... took my an impolite person out! Lol My fault.. he doesn't know better. This time I went to the doctors right away. This time it's not as bad as last time but it makes it hard to see when working. So, I have to chill for a few more days to finish the meds and wait for the dilation drops to wear off.

Shawns nothing but genuine! Very rare these days. I brought Shawn in on the Death Note film I just finished on. I was pressed with an extreme unrealistic deadline to complete all work. What was supposed to be 10 weeks ended up being about 3. So, while finishing up L's hero guns, I sent him one of the extras I built for production. This way he could work his magic with molds and cast me some rubber stunts. Top fracking notch work! Better than any castings I've ever seen in the film industry.<br><br>

Can't thank him enough for the extra set of hands! So having him out here to pull some molds and cast an awesome run of blasters with me is going to be nothing but fun. Blast the music... make some cool shucks... and have my beautiful girlfriend fetch us drinks and food all day long. What can bet better?<br><br>

(Wait, if you're not a member here, can she see this post?)

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff. <br><br>

Once I wrap on a few things here, I'll hit you guys with pics of the CAD. I'm sure some of you will have questions and I'm sure some of you will have "ah ha" moments.... with respect to the details fans have missed. Like, was there two different size guns? or why does this have certain details and this other doesn't. Electronics will be exactly done as the studio props. I think once I'm ready to start this, I'll do a run list. Since Shawn will be coming out to help with casting, once I finish the masters, I think we'll try and accommodate as many members as I can on the initial run. Obviously a deposit down will be required but we'll work all that out once we get to that point. I'm also thinking about providing finished build ups if you guys want. <br><br>

In other news, I'm back on Death Note. Have to build another gun for L and some other cool shucks. Looks like they hired Willem Defoe to do the voice of Ryuk. This is going to be a cool film. <br><br>

Cheers guys!<br><br>

Ken

Hi Germain, <br><br>

I will be doing what is called the "Mid Grade Hero". Basically, the mid grades were 10% smaller than the main heros. They have the same lighting etc except the front grip doesn't pull down. Also, the larger heros have extra fasteners under the trigger guard etc. I believe the main reason for the smaller version was exactly why Starlord had 10% smaller guns in Guardians. When I was bidding on Guardians, I had to account for two sizes for Chris Pratt's guns. It was because the larger versions didn't fit and look right when holstered. <br><br>

As for the accuracy of the guns I'll be producing.... They're exact. Spot on. The same thing used by production. Trust me on that one.

• Like 2