Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet from ILM Archaeolgy Panel at SW Celebration

TK-16845

If anyone missed it they had an ILM Archaeology Panel at SW Celebration Europe talking about rebuilding things for Rogue One including the Stormtrooper. They go over a couple things about the helmet and have a high res close up image. You can watch the talk starting here where they talk about the Stormtrooper https://youtu.be/JUafi3EWBY8?t=651

The whole talk is quite awesome, with the beginning showing a reproduction of the Death Star hangar where the Millennium Falcon was. Interesting seeing the direction they went with this having the blue stripes be indentations and the ears much flatter and also the tubing of the communicator.

hFhnBTQ.jpg

• Like 7

I thought it was ...interesting that they looked to the MR/eFX helmets for guidance. "It looks like there should be a seam at the chin, so we did that, as though in-universe the chin were removable for service." Personally, I want to call it lazy and ugly, but it's objectively unoriginal and uninspired (idk which is worse). I am glad I kept my eFX, but my brain doesn't want to recognize the new lids as canon TKs. They look "right" from very/too few angles imo. Not a huge deal, but they could have at least asked :P

There are many things I don't like about the RO TKs, but the helmet is not one of them. I like the sharp lines, a vocoder that looks like a separate piece, and indented tube stripes. Definitely a bucket I would want to add to collection. Couldn't care less for the rest of the suit, personally.

• Like 2

Saw the clip regarding the storm trooper. I like the fact they tried to improve it, but the stunt helmet they showed from the archive has been burned into my brain since childhood that all others just look wrong regardless of how "better" they are. I'm just glad Battlefront used the archive helmet as their reference when creating storm troopers for the game. They look right and adds to the realism of it all.

Edited by s4awd

Saw the clip regarding the storm trooper. I like the fact they tried to improve it, but the stunt helmet they showed from the archive has been burned into my brain since childhood that all others just look wrong regardless of how "better" they are. I'm just glad Battlefront used the archive helmet as their reference when creating storm troopers for the game. They look right and adds to the realism of it all.

I completely agree! They went far enough to even include the black frown on Empire and Jedi maps too which is awesome, something that makes me happy even though the average fan probably wouldnt notice. The old helmets are so iconic, my favorite being the "Move along" helmet.

3-piece construction does appear to be the same as the MRCE / eFx PCR, given the seam locations. And like on those you can't easily change the brow height. I mean overall I'd say it's a clean design but not to me an artistic design. It does not evoke the look of the original Liz Moore sculpture, the graceful curvatures and transitions of the piece as a whole composition. Closer in overall shape to Luke's Hero helmet than a Stunt to my eye. But like others have said, the iconic Stormtrooper is burned into my brain so I'm irreversibly biased!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Looks like they are trying to make it harder to vac form various parts by adding more hard edges and angles. There is no doubt some of our talented armourers and members are already entrenched in development of these newer versions of the original TK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like they are trying to make it harder to vac form various parts by adding more hard edges and angles. There is no doubt some of our talented armourers and members are already entrenched in development of these newer versions of the original TK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may have something there. I see so many undercuts on the new stuff, it's not funny. 

3D printing...Prop builders are an endangered species.

The details of this new helmet is amazing.
I love how they can still improvise on something that is already so beautifully designed originally.

However, after knowing these details, I feel that this improvement should be placed 'after' Ep. 6 as it is seems like it's a forward evolving process...

I like to think of this as what they would have done for the OT if they had the production capability. Like this is the "high res" version of the ANH bucket. Not sure if that metaphor makes sense to everyone.

• Like 3

I like to think of this as what they would have done for the OT if they had the production capability. Like this is the "high res" version of the ANH bucket. Not sure if that metaphor makes sense to everyone.

This is what was said during Celebration.

Ah, well I haven't had the chance to watch the video yet. Seems like if that's what I'm thinking they went in the right direction.