Electronics dunce - fans + usb battery pack?

Hey all

Complete dunce when it comes to electronics and power ratings [i'm a bean counter!!]

So, got 2 5v fans with usb connectors from ebay.

Already had a usb powerbank. It has 2 usb out sockets. Rated at 5v 1.0a and 2.1a.

Quickly tested and they both spin fine [didn't blow up in my hand!!]. Can tell the 2.1a side is spinning faster though.

Any possible issues? Looks a cheap way to have 2 fans blowing off 1 usb battery.

post-28230-0-31981400-1468577145_thumb.jpg

If you have them connected similarly they should rotate at equal speeds. How do you have them wired.

Another possibility, if they're wired correctly is if slower fan is rotating at half the speed then the other it's possible the fan is 12v buy miss labled. I've purchased 100s of these fans and it does happen.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Tony

I have 1 plugged into the 1a output, the other into the 2.1a output,

Wasn't sure if that would do any damage? They both spin great, but pretty sure the 1 in the 2.1a socket is going quicker. Am i being a bit dim in that the 1.0 and 2.1 a sockets don't means anything for powering a 5v fan??

I've tied all 3 of my fans to one USB plug, and the Anker battery powers them all pretty well.

Tony's likely right, they might be 12v fans. Have you tried switching the plugs to see if both fans rotate slower on the one amp port?

Hi Tony

Wasn't sure if that would do any damage? They both spin great, but pretty sure the 1 in the 2.1a socket is going quicker. Am i being a bit dim in that the 1.0 and 2.1 a sockets don't means anything for powering a 5v fan??

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk Edited by Strength

At work, shall try tonight. I was more worried that the anker would send out too much power to the fans and fry them. Maybe they were spinning at the same speed. Either way, pretty chuffed they work, just don't want to damage anything :-D

Check it all out, you are likely just fine.

I did mine myself and it was as easy as wiring them together, but I've wired things like speakers so I'm vaguely familiar with it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Tony

The different amperage would make a difference. Running them both of the 2.1. should work just fine.  

• Like 2

So a usb splitter to connect both fans usb male ends into the single 2.1a socket? Cheap enough!

You can buy USB with PCB with solder terminals or USB with leads, either way should work

Thanks mate. The fans already have USB sockets on them which is pretty cool and why I got them over a normal black/red socket. Just read through the other thread on using power banks. Such an easier method long term than using 9v or aa's.

Thanks mate. The fans already have USB sockets on them which is pretty cool and why I got them over a normal black/red socket. Just read through the other thread on using power banks. Such an easier method long term than using 9v or aa's.

Most definitely. With my current setup using the Antigravity battery I can power my audio and hearing system and 4 fans for hours.love it

• 3 weeks later...

My USB fans off Ebay they are rated for 1amp but I personally use a 2amp power bank and have yet to have any issues. 2amp should be fine with the fans. But not all electronis will be the same. The hearing aid systems/mic tip amp you have to use the 1amp. Lucky with that system they will automatically just turn off after 30sec with a 2amp power bank.

Edited by mattnelson521

Ended up with 2 x 2amp packs in my helmet for the 2 fans. Small in size, but still pretty heavy. Helmet has a nice weight to it now!

Had my induction troop with the UK Garrison on Saturday - they worked an absolute treat!!! Kept me from overheating and fog free. Amazed i was the only TK out of 5 using fans!