Q's FN Armor Build

Today I received a set of FOTK armor offered by Peter from FN Armor for comparison, building and feedback.

For anyone wondering after initially being approached by Peter if I would take part I first contacted Tim our DL to make him aware and he was happy for me proceed. I then advised Peter as a GML and 501st member I could not endorse or promote his armor but would be happy to compare, build and offer feedback to which he has agreed and I have not been given any restrictions to what I can post.

I have only opened the box to have a quick look at a couple of pieces, I can see it will definitely fit those of my size and larger.

I will be comparing with my Anovos armor but unfortunately do not have access to Jim's or KB's armor for comparison.

I will have more time over the weekend to have a look at the pieces in more detail. I will be giving some feedback and photos to Peter before getting fully into building the kit.

The obligatory BBB photos

FNarmor1.jpg

FNarmor4.jpg

More to follow soon

• Like 6

Even though I was pretty sure from photo comparisons, does not look like Anovos

FNarmor5.jpg

FNarmor6.jpg

Just pinching a photo from Evin's Jimmiraquoi build and comparing the ab plate, a lot of differences, I'll just point out a couple of obvious ones

FNarmor7b.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 3

Thank you, Glen. These threads need to stay on target. These threads are not the time or place for the debates/gunfights that we suspect a few members are itching to engage in. Everyone else... Pay close attention, watch and learn.

• Like 3

I have had a little time to go through a few of the parts and I have sent some preliminary feedback to Peter, there are a few pieces that have been trimmed too far, the trouble area on the yoke and back plate on the sides, which will make it difficult to assemble as is, these would need some modification and reinforcement otherwise they will just crack if worn. Knowing how my reinforced kit has gone over the last 8 months this would definitely need to be addressed.

Just holding a few pieces together with magnets to look at fitment

FNarmor8.jpg

Also issue with top of spat, right foot

FNarmor9.jpg

Detailing on biceps short and wide

FNarmor10.jpg

TD will need a lot of attention, a few areas not quite lining up, above or average builder should be ok but will need some heat and bending, also no shoulders on either end.

FNarmor11.jpg

Chest section detail very soft

FNarmor12.jpg

FNarmor10.jpg

Here is Kev's bicep from a recently received KB kit:

FEF458C9-9A80-4B21-8D44-C4CDB36164D5_zps

From comparison pics alone:

• The trapezoids look slightly different, seems sharper and smaller on FN's
  • Corners at top and bottom of the seam are sharper on FN's
  • KB's has some curvature at the bottom whereas it is straight on FN's
  • Greeblie indentation is off-center from the seam on all three

Nothing groundbreaking that I can see but hope this pic helps.

Edited by UT Trooper

A few issues with the spats, some overhang when pieces are held together, also when they are they are still quite open, would need some heat to get these to stay closed with no tension.

FNarmor14.jpg

FNarmor15.jpg

FNarmor16.jpg

Forearms are really large, advantage as it would allow for sizing but because if you need to trim them down to a minimum arm size then they are hard to fit together, even without trimming them I can see the angles are forcing the pieces outwards, even bending in the corners when I try to gently hold. Some details not quite right form screen images seen.

FNarmor17.jpg

FNarmor18.jpg

FNarmor20.jpg

FNarmor21.jpg

FNarmor22.jpg

FNarmor23.jpg

Kit also came with Phasma pieces, I must admit I've not looked into all the detailing of that costume so I'll leave those until later.

FNarmor24.jpg

The clasps/greeblies seem more like a fiberglass resin so have that weird surface you get when it's molded, I would think a plasic would be better

FNarmor25.jpg

No recess or detail for clasp/greeblies or side box placement

FNarmor26.jpg

Section missing from the back, does not align with ab

FNarmor27.jpg

Found a small crack on top of the ab lip, I would say this was from transport as I've been pretty careful

FNarmor30.jpg

Some measurements to show sizing

FNarmor28.jpg

FNarmor29.jpg

• Like 2

Can you tell us what the box weighs?

just checked the postage label and it's 6.440kg

Just looking at the shoulder bells, they are both from the same mold so will need some work to make them look mirrored, a large taper on the raised section will need to be trimmed, also the bell sides to match

FNarmor31.jpg

FNarmor32.jpg

Thanks, Q.

If you rated the accuracy from one to ten on quality of the vac form, what would that be?

Also, on a scale of one to ten, where would you rate the accuracy when compared to screen used?

• Like 1

"If you rated the accuracy from one to ten on quality of the vac form, what would that be?"

6/10  some of the abs is thin in places, there are some imperfections present and some areas have been over trimmed

"Also, on a scale of one to ten, where would you rate the accuracy when compared to screen used?"

5/10 there are a lot of details either not present or not defined enough

• Like 4

Thank you, Q. I know you are not taking this review lightly. We appreciate your effort. You're also very lucky to get hands on experience with all of these kits. I've built 3 fotk kits, but they were all anovos.  From your photos it looks like anovos lines up better.

• Like 1