Emma's First ANH Stunt [WTF] - any help is appreciated!

Well it's pretty cool to be back ^_^Ā My first question is, it's been awhile since I've done any of this. I've done drop boxes, thermal detonator, most of the helmet (but I'll come back to it because I left off on the ears). I started trimming shins but stopped there. What's a good place to pick back up that's small and doable? Any recommendations (links to sources are also useful)?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EmlanThane said:

Hi! So.... It's been a solid 4 years since I've been to this thread...I figured COVID-19 would be a great time to finally work on this armor some more! I will post more updates here. Wish me luck!

Welcome back Emma, and of course, good luck!!!!

This time yes, you will finish the armor...

• Like 1

Well it's pretty cool to be back Ā My first question is, it's been awhile since I've done any of this. I've done drop boxes, thermal detonator, most of the helmet (but I'll come back to it because I left off on the ears). I started trimming shins but stopped there. What's a good place to pick back up that's small and doable? Any recommendations (links to sources are also useful)?

Iā€™d work on the arms (forearms, biceps and shoulder bells) thatā€™s where I started after doing my helmet.
  • Like 1

I am testing uploading pictures with imgur- here is a picture of my setup. I had to dig out everything from my basement. I've decided to start trimming the shoulder bells- they seem relatively straight forward, right? Right?? We will find out...

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/z7eExLI" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/z7eExLI"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 1

Alright, let's talk shoulder bell trimming:

Ā 

Ā 

I haven't done any of this in a hot hot minute. So it was challenging to say the least. I don't see a lot of threads going over HOW they trimmed, just that they did. So my goal is to go in depth for the other clueless people who get overwhelmed with simple tasks like I do.

Ā 

I used myĀ Big Plastic Cutting Scissors to make a bunch of intermediate cuts along a line I drew outlining the mold of the shoulder bell. The WTF shoulder bells have a pretty clearish indent where the excess plastic ends and the actual mold begins so I just made the leap and drew the outline very faintly.

Ā 

lYRyuw5.jpg

Ā 

Then I used my Baby Plastic Cutting Scissors to cut along the pencil line. The intermediate cuts gave the plastic some relief, but it was still a challenge.

Ā 

ef3VfWx.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I used my dremel to clean up some of the harder curves at the bottom of the bell. How's the return edge look? I haven't used that phrase in such a long time... return edge...Ā 

Ā 

lrQudlR.jpg

Ā 

Here'sĀ a comparison of the untrimmed and trimmed bells:

Ā 

pRKhDs4.jpg

Ā 

S2XZN4r.jpg

Ā 

You can see on the left bell above I missed trimmed a spot (you can still see the excess plastic at the bottom of the bell). I cleaned that up after I spotted the mistake. Trimming makes me so nervous!

Ā 

"Trying it on" just to be silly. From my understanding, regardless of my height there won't be too much additional trimming of the shoulder bells.

Ā 

JidgImT.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Lastly, the finished bells. I repeated the process for both. My question is- how'd I do trimming? It's been a long time so be nice ;)Ā but I'm open to constructive criticism and am happy to do anything to improve. How do I tell which is left and which is right? I can send more pictures of both bells side by side later if that would be useful for anyone trying to help me figure it out.

Ā 

rohLxCt.jpg

DvLJ3JU.jpg

WVJHLMg.jpg

hekTyOW.jpg

voWPZvw.jpg

xbfUCz0.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I might do a little more today... we will see. I'll have to do some research on forearm measurements and such before doing any serious trimming. I was also thinking about doing something simple like the hand guards, are painting the ab buttons... it's easy to feel overwhelmed by a dauntingĀ project!

Ā 

Ā 

Lastly, I changed my profile pic. I was 17 in the last photo. I am 21 now. I have changed a lot (besides just shaving my head) and want my new profile picture to reflectĀ my excitement for Star Wars and stormtrooper armor.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hi Emma , glad to see your build setup, nice.

Ā 

About Return Edges trimming, I would like to suggest you to take a look to this useful link Ā about Trimming .Ā 

Ā 

And for the shoulder bells curve, this reference photos may help to figure it out .

Ā 

qlsf6h8.png

Ā 

JfSjyRZ.jpg

Ā 

CheersĀ :salute:

Ā 

• Like 1

Last question for now- if the arm cover strips are 15mm, how much flat edge do I leave on each arm half? Can't seem to find this information easily. Would it be around 8mm per halve? Or does it not matter and I cut it down to fit my arm as long as it doesn't go under 7.5mm?

Edited by EmlanThane

30 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Emma , glad to see your build setup, nice.

Ā 

About Return Edges trimming, I would like to suggest you to take a look to this useful link Ā about Trimming .Ā 

Ā 

And for the shoulder bells curve, this reference photos may help to figure it out .

Ā 

qlsf6h8.png

Ā 

JfSjyRZ.jpg

Ā 

CheersĀ :salute:

Ā 

So the article you referred me to suggests that I trim off all return edge on the bottom of the bells for accuracy. Is this correct? Should I go ahead and do that?

8 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

So the article you referred me to suggests that I trim off all return edge on the bottom of the bells for accuracy. Is this correct? Should I go ahead and do that?

Yes.Ā 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

Last question for now- if the arm cover strips are 15mm, how much flat edge do I leave on each arm half? Can't seem to find this information easily. Would it be around 8mm per halve? Or does it not matter and I cut it down to fit my arm as long as it doesn't go under 7.5mm?

I would suggest to leave a flat edge of 7.5 each half and put then together using painters tape and let see some photos of how they go on your arms.

Ā 

:salute:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

Here are the bottoms of the shoulder bells with a significantly reduced/almost nonexistent return edge. Used a Dremel and my Baby Plastic Cutting Scissors to take off the plastic.

looking great.Ā :duim:

• Like 1

Forearm time! I have been dreading doing some "serious" trimming for awhile. It contributed to me postponing this project for years. I decided to dive right into it. My progress is slow because I am all alone right now (no armor parties any time soon because of COVID) and without experience, but enough with excuses! I am trying my best and that's all I can do.

Ā 

I used scissors to trim the arm openings sand fine tuned with a Dremel. I plan on "scooping out" the upper inner arm (removing that return edge)- should I do that before or after I fit the arm halves together? I also removed all return edge on the wrist side of the opening, as is centurion-required (and also just more comfortable).Ā 

Ā 

I marked 7.5mm from the edges of the forearm sides to make a cut with scissors. I don't mind if it's not perfectly straight- cover strips will cover that, right?

gNzXInI.jpg

Ā 

I'm still using the same ruler I used four years ago, lol!

Ā 

Here are some comparison photos of a trimmed and nontrimmed piece. It'll giveĀ you a good sense of how much I had to take off.

Ā 

8XoRBzG.jpg

Nb62Aj4.jpg

95Kw2TB.jpg

spjBmux.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

For the rounded edge of one forearm, where where to measure 7.5mm is more ambiguous, I used clamps to hold the pieces in place and drew a pencil line where there was overlap excessĀ to begin to make cuts. Not sure if the halves were matched up correctly but this was only approximate and I made sure to always trim less than the line indicated...

Ā 

VNjtj8m.jpg

Ā 

Lastly, I am having trouble identifying left and right arms. Here is an image below, let's number the pieces left to right 1 through 4. Which goes with which? Is it 1/2 and 3/4 or 1/4Ā and 2/3? Any help is welcome, I am puzzled at this one.

Ā 

21KbrjS.jpg

Ā 

Based on fitting I think it is 1/4 and 2/3....

Ā 

Edited by EmlanThane

51 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

I marked 7.5mm from the edges of the forearm sides to make a cut with scissors. I don't mind if it's not perfectly straight- cover strips will cover that, right?

Hi Emma , You're right, cover strip will cover the join line.

Ā 

And about the arms I have found the following WTF build thread that I think could be useful for you for other build issues. there's this following photo showing the order of arms.

Ā 

pTHcBoK.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Keep on doing an excellent work, and remember you're not alone. Here in FISD. No one left behind.Ā 

Ā 

:salute:

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Thank you, TKSpartan. That image is useful- I think I figured it out? They naturally align one way much better than the other way.Ā Here's the fit for the right arm- the sidesĀ of each don't align perfectly (there's some gap) but the cover strip should cover it. I also plan on doing an inner cover strip for extra stability since I'm a bit paranoid.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I was wondering if I can make the cut at the red line indicated below- is that allowed? The forearm is very long on me and prevents hand movements if I leave it as is.

iz4znVK.jpg

Edited by EmlanThane

Ā 

19 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

I was wondering if I can make the cut at the red line indicated below- is that allowed?

Yes, you can cut at the red line andĀ  If you feel there's enough room on your forearms , you can make adjustment on the back seams.

Ā 

This is a Tip taht a fellow trooperĀ  @CricketĀ  gave in another building thread

Ā 

"If you haven't shaped your forearms yet, may I offer a tip?Ā Ā (I remember how badly oval-shaped the WTF forearms are.)Ā Ā I suggest assembling the fronts of the forearms together first by gluing an inner cover strip.Ā Ā Tape the heck out of the outside seam, though.Ā Ā This will allow you to clamshell-fit your forearm securely for width.Ā Ā All sizing adjustments for width take place on the back seams.Ā Ā Once you've got it properly sized and trimmed for width, glue an inner cover strip to the inside back seam (taping the heck out of the outside seam again).Ā Ā Then boil up some water and knock that oval into rounded submission!Ā Ā Inner cover stripsĀ addĀ a lot of strength to the forearms, and allows you to get some decent hot-water shaping done without falling apart.Ā  "
Ā 

nFUvYZ9.jpg

Ā 

This is how thy should go togetherĀ 

Ā 

n0e0On4.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

CheersĀ Ā :salute:

• Like 1

After a lot of trimming and trial and error I got the forearms halves to come together relatively easily for both arms. Here they are, in all their unfinished taped-up glory. The next step would be to glue some inner cover strips to the front, then to the back, then reshape with heat (?), then glue the outer strips. Did I get that order right? Can I use weaker scrap material for the inner cover strips?Ā 

Ā 

r0P4cDo.jpg

aEAu7jd.jpg

DIklE2R.jpg

Ā 

Here's a goofy action shot- I'm just excited to be working on this! No blaster to hold.... yet....

Ā 

g4QRhdS.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Next up while I await some feedback (seriously the help I receive on the forum is soooo appreciated, I would be useless without you all), I begin trimming the biceps. From my understanding the return edge on the biceps is pretty useless... Is the inner bicep with the indented oval on it the left or the right bicep? I have yet to uncover this information myself,,,,, maybe someone else knows off the top of their head. (Update: I believe the indented oval inner bicep is the left one)

Edited by EmlanThane

20 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

Next up while I await some feedback (seriously the help I receive on the forum is soooo appreciated, I would be useless without you all), I begin trimming the biceps. From my understanding the return edge on the biceps is pretty useless... Is the inner bicep with the indented oval on it the left or the right bicep? I have yet to uncover this information myself,,,,, maybe someone else knows off the top of their head. (Update: I believe the indented oval inner bicep is the left one)

Ā 

Great work with your arms Emma, from my sight, It lookĀ like you have still enough room, It's supposed to have just enough soĀ Ā your hand with no gloveĀ Ā enter in, I think you can make some cut to adjust at least 1 inch.Ā Ā 

Ā 

In the following photo you can see how different it looks when

reduced

Ā 

cztCxKS.jpg

Ā 

AndĀ Ā Ā the inner bicep with the indented oval on it the left one .

oSjyHFy.jpg

CheersĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Ā 

Great work with your arms Emma, from my sight, It lookĀ like you have still enough room, It's supposed to have just enough soĀ Ā your hand with no gloveĀ Ā enter in, I think you can make some cut to adjust at least 1 inch.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thank you ! When you say make a cut to adjust at least 1 inch, are you referring to trimming the back joint? Should I do that after I glue the inner cover strip on the front joint?

16 minutes ago, EmlanThane said:

When you say make a cut to adjust at least 1 inch, are you referring to trimming the back joint? Should I do that after I glue the inner cover strip on the front joint?

Yes, the back joint as I marked in red in the above photo,Ā  the trimming is as you have said, test an adjust.Ā  glue the inner cover on the front and test, IĀ  think a good tip would be to test together with eachĀ bicep (Blue Pinter's tape) and see the shape. Measure twice or more, cut once and glue onceĀ :laugh1:

Ā 

Just a short story :Ā  when I was building my armor, ( as you, I builtĀ it alone, just browsing this forum) ,Ā  I searched the web looking for several Stormtroopers images to figure out how I wanted to look like and I feel Ā It worked for me to get the best shape.Ā 

Ā 

:duim:

Ā 

• Like 2

It was hard to show the steps of the gluing process... it was all sort of a E6000 mess...

Ā 

I used some scrap strip cut to approximately 15mm wide and trimmed to to length of the forearm- I covered the strip in E6000 and in one fowl messy clumsy swoop, clamped both halves to the inner cover stripĀ  and quickly secured with magnets.

Ā 

IjKAVC7.jpg

Ā 

I am a bit nervous because when I tried to bend the back halves to join each other, just to test, the front wouldn't stay even with all the clamps, and I had to readjust.Ā Of course this is because the glue hasn't even dried yet. Perhaps I am underestimating the strength of the glue. We will see... I was told not to put any stress on any glue seal for 48 hours. I only have enough magnets for one forearm half at a time, so I cannot do the other arm tonight. I'll end out the day with some bicep trimming and maybe fitting with the forearm that currently isn't being glued...

Last post of the day. Trimmed the biceps (usual comparison photos below) My brother is playing video games in the basement so I'll have to save the very loud fine-tuning with the Dremel for tomorrow.Ā 

Ā 

vRMmShJ.jpg

uatYKT0.jpg

Ā 

Lastly, I put what I /think/ is the right pairings of biceps next to each other. If they are labelled 1-4 top to bottom, then the pairings would be 1/2 and 3/4.Ā 

Ā 

cDuXjcz.jpg

Ā 

It's so hard to tell. The biceps sort of have this outward curve that makes it somewhat better to tell which is which but also the edges don't line up very nicely... I'll have to do what I can with the dremel tomorrow and then pray that cover strips will mend all. Surely I'll get better at this as time goes on? One can hope...

Ā 

Felt like I've made some good progress in two days time!