Emma's First ANH Stunt [WTF] - any help is appreciated!

Helooooo everyone! Today is a very special day- it's Big Brown Box Day! Pictures will be coming out tomorrow :) In the meantime, I want to thank everyone in advance who will help me out and answer my many future questions. I am new to this and this is overwhelming but I am also very, very excited. I will be building an ANH Stunt from Walt's Trooper Factory, and my goal is to make it to Centurion standards the first time around. I am 5'5" so this will be a challenge, but it has been done before so this makes me feel better!<br><br><br>

My first question is:<br>

Where did everyone get the mesh material for behind the frown and on the mic tips (and is it the same material?)? <br><br>

I plan on posting regular updates and a very detailed log of my progress. This has has been a longtime dream of mine and I am beyond excited to begin my journey to trooper-dom. All help is welcome, more updates coming soon!!!

• Like 3

YAY BBB, there is nothing better, good luck with the build.

For frown mesh and mic tips I just used flywire mesh from a hardware store. I did give the mesh a coat of silver paint for the mic tips.

You can also purchase mesh from trooperbay https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-frown-screen

• Like 1

Anything we can do to help. Feel free to ask questions and post as many pics as possible. <br><br>

Based on ur stature and build, you should definitely be looking at Diana's build as your main source of material. <br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25919-dianas-rs-props-build-anh-stunt/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25919-dianas-rs-props-build-anh-stunt/</a><br><br>

She did an amazing job <br><br>

Good Luck!

Here are the pictures! 

First, the BBB in all of its glory!

post-28918-0-93039000-1468357508_thumb.jpg

And unboxed! (I am in the process of swapping out the ROTJ-style kidney/butt piece for two separated ones- this was just a communication error.)

post-28918-0-67889300-1468357571_thumb.jpg

Let the fun begin! I think I'll start with the bucket.... *evil laughter*

Edited by EmlanThane
  • Like 1

Anything we can do to help. Feel free to ask questions and post as many pics as possible. <br><br>

Based on ur stature and build, you should definitely be looking at Diana's build as your main source of material. <br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25919-dianas-rs-props-build-anh-stunt/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25919-dianas-rs-props-build-anh-stunt/</a><br><br>

She did an amazing job <br><br>

Good Luck!

I've already read Diana's thread which was EXTREMELY helpful, but no doubt I will be coming back to it in the future! Thanks!

• Like 1

Making a trip to the hardware store! What size screws are used on the helmet for centurion? I heard that the ones that came in my kit may not be acceptable but I want to be sure! I plan on getting the Trooperbay Centurion strapping kit but his website is down for at least a month now so I won't be buying any strapping materials, but I'm off to get a rivet gun, a sanding drum, files, and all that good stuff!

Edited by EmlanThane

Well I figured out the screw question :) They are 6/32 1" long #4-40 wooden brass flathead slot screws (woooh thats a mouthful, but maybe I'll help somebody out in the future) AND I just got back from the hardware store. Time to start! 

Edited by EmlanThane

Forgive me... I feel it again...the call to the light.

And by light I mean HELMET!  Today was both exciting and slightly disappointing actually...

I picked up all of the tools and supplies I need at the hardware store that are not already included in the Trooperbay Centurion Strapping Kit (with the exception of the ear screws and paint which I will order online). 

I started out by trimming the faceplate. I'm still not used to the scissors so the cut is EXTREMELY rough. I planned on sanding it today but my dremel malfunctioned so I have to have that fixed before I do anything with it. I also realized I was using the wrong scissors half-way through (*facepalm*) so have to pick up ones that are curved in the proper direction tomorrow. Hopefully my trimming skills will improve- and the right scissors will help. 

Here's the ceremonial first cut:

post-28918-0-39033600-1468720657_thumb.jpg

And here's my super-duper rough "beginner's" trim that I will dremel smooth tomorrow:

post-28918-0-19310500-1468720740_thumb.jpg

post-28918-0-81432200-1468720699_thumb.jpg

**^ I think this trim is not even enough but I don't want to risk cutting away too much more at the bottom. Do you think I should trim away the left bottom a little bit more? Is the right too far already?

Edited by EmlanThane

When you get to the point where you start on the teeth, Emma, I would highly recommend picking up one of these "needle file" sets from Lowe's or Home Depot, http://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067.  They are perfect for small areas.  Another thing I can highly suggest is 3M flexible sanding sheets, (220 grit) http://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-12-Pack-7-in-W-x-4-5-in-L-100-Grit-Commercial-Ultra-Flexible-Sandpaper-Sheets/1000065611  These things are AMAZING!  Instead of a paper backing, they use silicone, which you can bend to any shape, they are almost impossible to tear, and seem to last forever.  I used 3 small sheets to do an entire armor build, a resin blaster build, and they are still going strong.  A bit pricey, but well worth the money.

• Like 1

When you get to the point where you start on the teeth, Emma, I would highly recommend picking up one of these "needle file" sets from Lowe's or Home Depot, http://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067. They are perfect for small areas. Another thing I can highly suggest is 3M flexible sanding sheets, (220 grit) http://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-12-Pack-7-in-W-x-4-5-in-L-100-Grit-Commercial-Ultra-Flexible-Sandpaper-Sheets/1000065611 These things are AMAZING! Instead of a paper backing, they use silicone, which you can bend to any shape, they are almost impossible to tear, and seem to last forever. I used 3 small sheets to do an entire armor build, a resin blaster build, and they are still going strong. A bit pricey, but well worth the money.

Wow thank you for the advice! I regret buying my ordinary sandpaper now haha! I plan on getting to the teeth today but I'm returning to the hardware store anyway to fix my dremel so I'll check for needle file sets (I have one right now but it only has 3 sizes, I'm not sure if it's good enough).

Ok, so day two is over and I think I hit a very large bump in the road. In my excitement I fear I may have trimmed TOO much- which is the worst thing one can do, especially on the helmet.

***IMPORTANT QUESTION***

Please take a look at my pictures below. Is the helmet salvageable? The pieces just aren't aligning properly, and the faceplate seems very short on the sides. The back doesn't reach down far enough. I'm pretty upset. The worst thing that can happen is I reluctantly spend more money on replacement pieces. The best thing that can happen is you all help me figure out how to fix it, but it still looks more "unique."

My day started out pretty ordinary- I cut out the eyes with an exacto knife and filed them down-

21fa41d1-0715-481d-9ef8-3417eafef13e_zps

c619c6b7-43dc-41d0-85d6-1fd4188cfc78_zps

Then I began trimming the back and cap- again started out pretty rough but I sanded it down..

7a844172-1a8f-4730-8b78-1afa474f9623_zps

ecd668fd-10c0-4f55-be13-8052d1429aa0_zps

Then the scary part happened. I fit the pieces together, and well.... you'll see  :huh:

Looks okayish here..

020137dc-a38b-4cb0-ac76-33372bc57058_zps

AHHHHH whAT IS tHAT

3ce18f2b-e89a-4568-a75b-cf393b1dcc5b_zps

AND it seems so smooshed- how can I fit my head in there? This is the best I could get it to align. Otherwise the back and cap and face place intersect at an angle so that the bottom is less flat and more a giant "U"

17aca3b5-8853-4835-b647-6330ebeedaa3_zps

Please, any help is appreciated. I want to try to save this before investing in new pieces.

Edited by EmlanThane

Once you start putting the screws, the bucket will come together a bit more fluid. Don't loose hope. Just wait until you put the ears on and then continue "trimming" from that point forward if necessary.

• Like 1

Don't stress Emma. You're in the right place for some of the best advice on the Internet. It will all work out. Ask for clarification if you need it.

Thank you. My biggest worry is that my faceplate is trimmed too much, and the bottom of the cap/back, too. I am afraid I won't be able to fit my head in (even sideways) and there won't be enough room in the front for stripes. I am so grateful for everyone who has jumped right in with helping me. Thank you for the words of encouragement! 

• Like 1

Thank you. My biggest worry is that my faceplate is trimmed too much, and the bottom of the cap/back, too. I am afraid I won't be able to fit my head in (even sideways) and there won't be enough room in the front for stripes. I am so grateful for everyone who has jumped right in with helping me. Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I think all the buckets are tight. I was actually surprised yesterday when Mrs. Pewpewpew managed to put on my bucket. She's got the biggest noggin of anybody I know. It's pretty normal to put these on sideways an the rotate them in to place.
  • Like 1

Emma jump over to my build thread and see how I did it. Mine's a WTF kit too! I'm in the process of having my EIB application reviewed but Celebration put it on hold for a bit. http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

Emma jump over to my build thread and see how I did it. Mine's a WTF kit too! I'm in the process of having my EIB application reviewed but Celebration put it on hold for a bit. http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild

Jim - TK50899

Thanks you! I do have a question about the WTF helmet- when you trim the brow of the cap, it looks like people trim closer to the line made by the bottom of the trap on the left side, and there's more extra room below it on the right. Is this intentional? Also, how much excess faceplate siding (potentially I have trimmed too much!) did you have because I don't have very much which is making securing the left side very difficult! OOH and one more thing! Why aren't Walt's ear screws centurion standard? Thank you- I've looked through your thread and it is VERY helpful!!! Edited by EmlanThane

Thanks you! I do have a question about the WTF helmet- when you trim the brow of the cap, it looks like people trim closer to the line made by the bottom of the trap on the left side, and there's more extra room below it on the right. Is this intentional? Also, how much excess faceplate siding (potentially I have trimmed too much!) did you have because I don't have very much which is making securing the left side very difficult! OOH and one more thing! Why aren't Walt's ear screws centurion standard? Thank you- I've looked through your thread and it is VERY helpful!!!

On one side of mine there isn't much between the back and face either!Remember that the ears will cover up some of that so you're not necessarily in trouble just yet. As for the brow, when Walt n crew rough trim it it's not necessarily even so that may explain the extra material on one side vs. the other. I used what is known as the "Dave M" helmet as reference for my build and also watched (many times) the Trooperbay videos on You Tube before and during my helmet assembly. This was my first time building too and was very nervous about each and every cut.

As for the screws the heads are too small as far as being "screen accurate" is concerned. It has absolutely no bearing on any level of approval. If you use them it will be perfectly fine, so don't sweat it. I just went the extra step because I was at the hardware store picking up screen for the Hovi mic tips and thought, why not, and bought the 6 I needed.

I hope this helps. I'm going to take another look at those pics of your bucket and if I see anything wrong I'll pipe up again.

*REMEMBER, nothing about original Stormtrooper armor is symmetrical and the helmet is a little off center one direction. It bugged the crud out of me too until a more experienced member put my mind at ease too. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I've got a pretty good archive in my head on where to get you answers on this forum. If I don't know it I can point you in the right direction.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 2

Okay. I took a closer second look at your pictures and you have definitely NOT trimmed too much.

Here are the pics of mine for reference. The bottom front of the cap and rear of the face, on mine, barely overlap on one side and not at all on the other. The bottom of the ears cover that. If you have too many layers of ABS it's really hard to get the S trim on too.

b58a53b8af591269e8464c3e6b76c0f3.jpg

8f58f64dd5589e71cf5adbe4e5d1afe0.jpg

36ab52beba59dad027a2d4bf5e3d3440.jpg

f496cae2065f6d7efc97fe1b608aaa03.jpg

Also as far as trimming goes I used the same trimmers you have for the rough cuts and the "score and snap" technique. My rotary tool was only used for "fine tuning" followed but 220 grit hand sanding.

That being said I did my teeth by sanding with the rotary tool from the backside then cleaned it up with the needle files. It was super quick and it turned out excellent in my humble opinion.

Jim - TK50899

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 1

Okay. I took a closer second look at your pictures and you have definitely NOT trimmed too much.

Here are the pics of mine for reference. The bottom front of the cap and rear of the face, on mine, barely overlap on one side and not at all on the other. The bottom of the ears cover that. If you have too many layers of ABS it's really hard to get the S trim on too. b58a53b8af591269e8464c3e6b76c0f3.jpg8f58f64dd5589e71cf5adbe4e5d1afe0.jpg36ab52beba59dad027a2d4bf5e3d3440.jpgf496cae2065f6d7efc97fe1b608aaa03.jpg

Also as far as trimming goes I used the same trimmers you have for the rough cuts and the "score and snap" technique. My rotary tool was only used for "fine tuning" followed but 220 grit hand sanding.

That being said I did my teeth by sanding with the rotary tool from the backside then cleaned it up with the needle files. It was super quick and it turned out excellent in my humble opinion.

Jim - TK50899

You have made me feel so much better! While I still think I've trimmed too much, having someone else saying I did not does put me slightly more at ease. I will have to see it to believe it but at least it's not doomed now. I had a little mess up on the bottom of the left back where I probably trimmed too much off, but maybe the ear can cover it. If all else fails, do you think I could make a little ABS bridge between the back and faceplate to get more overlap and stability? I'll see if I'll even need one. Again thank you for all of the information. Knowing that you're a fellow WTF-er I will no doubt be coming back to you in the future for help! That's a great idea for cutting the teeth out too!!

• Like 1

I might put the helmet on hold until I can figure out how to properly trim it. I realized that I have the wrong scissors, which is why I found it so clumsy to maneuver them through the plastic! Until I get the right ones and until Pandatrooper and others confirm that I can trim the brow more (and how, because I want to be extra sure) on my other thread dedicated to this issue, I am going to work on some smaller pieces. Updates coming tonight! Perhaps drop box and TD trimming :)

• Like 2