Happy 10th Anniversary FISD

Daetrin

On this day, 10 years ago, I pushed the proverbial button that made this forum live. I remember thinking at the time that if I could help just a few troopers avoid the pitfalls and hours of detective work that I had to go through, I'd be a success. I was also trying to figure out who I could convince to be the other 9 signers on the charter. It may be hard to believe today, but 10 years ago there wasn't much support for a stormtrooper detachment, even at the Legion level. I was however a man on a mission and would not be dissuaded. I was soon joined by other troopers new to the 501st - I don't think any of us had been in the Legion more than a year or so - and we just plowed ahead. It was a humble beginning. I did the first tutorials in my garage floor that would be laughable today. Our first merch was a t-shirt (that I still have) which was one color on black, and Wyatt (TK4205) hand drew the blaster as we had no other model to use.

Through it all there have been incredible highs such as getting the EI program started, our first FISD photo shoot at Celebration (and having our picture taken with Brian Muir in a subsequent one), getting the CRL's done the way we wanted them to be (as opposed to allowing out of the box FX, forever), the singular FISD calendar that was truly a work of art. There have also been some very low lows, such as the infamous flame wars that happened in the past, character assassination and personal threats, and projects such as the TKpedia that involved a huge amount of work but failed.

There have been dozens of FISD members who have served on staff, and more on extended staff such as the Imperial Propaganda Machine, not to mention the dedicated troopers who have given of themselves selflessly to the betterment of the detachment and earned the coveted FISD Achievement Medal. My thanks to all of you! Special shout-outs to Terrell Reber, Carlos Diaz, Greg Mortensen, Ed DaSilva, and Brian Robinson who were the first key staff members and instrumental to FISD becoming what it is today. Also to A.C. (NoVaTie) who has been our dedicated membership officer quietly processing people's paperwork for 7 of the past 10 years. And most of all to TK4205, Wyatt Stephens, FISD member #2, merch officer and FISD Armorer extraordinaire, who started this journey with me and to this day continues to create best of class designs and tutorials.

In the end, it's been a wonderous journey. Lifelong friendships have been forged, much food and beverage has been consumed, and FISD continues to be a leader amongst 501st detachments. We are the largest unit in terms of raw membership numbers, and our programs and policies which were once trailblazing are standard on many 501st forums. It's incredible that 254 troopers have earned their Centurion certificate, given how seriously high the standards are. There are now 600+ Expert Infantry members, meaning more 501st members are EI than most costumes have members.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed even one post to this magnificent community. The 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment is the best damn det in the Legion, and I look forward to the next 10 years.

Happy Anniversary, FISD!

• Like 28

Happy Big 10 :happy and cheerful birthday: . A big thank you to you Paul and the founding members. Without this website I would have undoubtedly passed on becoming a trooper. The information, skill level and guidance of fellow troopers are the reason I do what I do today. It's been a joy and pleasure to serve and be served here.

Thank you   :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 4

I am a newbie, but am glad that I am part of this Detachment. I can't wait to meet you all during Star Wars Celebration Orlando next year! Woo-hoo! Happy Birthday FISD!  And THANK YOU! :happy and cheerful birthday:

• Like 3

I have only been here a year but this is definitely the most engaging detachment out there. Everyone seems to grab on to the troopers helping troopers creed. Everyone keep up the good work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It is truly an honor to be part of this detachment.

the stormtrooper detachment is a group of selfless, innovative, and organized people. 

Amazing job to everyone that has joined, and a big shout out to those of you that created this.

I have only been on for the last couple of years, but as you mentioned, i look forward to seeing the progression to the next 10 years.

• Like 3

Man, what an amazing accomplishment!!  This is a great detachment and you started something very special Paul!!!

Thank you for being such a light, leader and inspiration for TK's all over the world!!

I tip my bucket to you sir, and to the FISD!!!

• Like 3

Happy anniversary FISD. Thank you Paul for creating this Detachement and thank you to the people who helped you start it too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Happy Anniversary FISD! Thank you so much Paul for creating such a masterpiece. You formed a place for a bunch of dorks and geeks to come share a common passion. Thank you to all past and current staff members who have worked so hard on keeping this ship forging ahead and making it the best detachment. I have truly enjoyed being an active and non active member of this amazing place for the last 5 years. Here's to many more years of troopers helping troopers!

• Like 2

Happy 10th Anniversary to the FISD! Thank you Paul for everything!

This is the best place on earth (or cyber world realistically lol) for TKs and future TKs and always will be! I learned EVERYTHING I know about white armor here before I joined the legion. I love the FISD and will always be a proud member!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Happy 10th Anniversary FISD, truly would have been lost and not experiencing the epic grandeur of what I have come to know.

Salute and bucket off - LONG LIVE THE FISD WHOOOO-WAHHHH!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 2

Happy Birthday, FISD, and thank you Paul and all the others who have made this such an incredible resource!

This board has truly been instrumental in making my Stormtrooper dreams come true. Here's to the next 10 years!

• Like 1

10 years. How awesome. I am certainly super grateful for the insane amount of knowledge and ideas shared around here. FISD is the reason why I started doing build threads and helping other troopers online because I was overwhelmed with the willingness to share info and help around here and wanted to contribute. Such a great asset to the Legion!

• Like 2

This has been a great place call home, everyone has been great!!  Sure, there are a few "slightly over zealous" members, but overall, Troopers love helping Troopers!! 

I'm proud to call Paul my friend, just wish we could interact more often.  Thanks for starting this wonderful detachment.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...