TK 22788 Reporting for Duty!

Hello comrades! Well, it looks like we made it to the finish line! Yesterday I was granted my 501st ID and admitted into the ranks of the white plastic spacemen. I can't explain the excitement I am feeling, but I'm sure many of you can understand. How did I get here you may ask? Well here's what I told another trooper when asked.

What prompted me to want to join the 501st? Well, because I have been an avid Star Wars fan since  I was very young. The first time I went to see the trilogy was when the Special Edition came out in '97, with my Dad, and was hooked ever since. However, there was something different my love of the films. Whereas a lot of folks opted to support the Rebellion and the heroes, I fell in love with the darkside and the Empire, with its vastly superior technology, vehicles and legions of white plastic-clad elite soldiers. Since that day I dreamed of suiting up like my antagonist heroes. When I heard about the 501st several years ago I knew that was something I wanted to be a part of. Lo and Behold, I finally saved up the money last November (2015) and took the plunge!

Now, back story aside, what inspired my costume was the love of my favourite installment of the trilogy. The Empire Strikes Back. This film we meet the fearsome AT-AT walker, snowtroopers and the spooky black-toothed ESB trooper. It was also the film in which my beloved Empire won a decisive battle over the Rebel foe. I'll always cherish that haha! In addition to these facts, in a sea of ANH troopers within the FISD, I wanted to be a bit different.

If Only You Knew:

When my big brown box arrived, I had been scouring the FISD forums for months. I had compiled a bit of research and thought I was ready to go it alone. I later realized much to my chagrin, that the research never ever stops from start to finish. Some other things that new recruits should consider before they start is, from my experience, as follows.

The Good.

- You will meet some amazing people, that become like family, willing to help you through thick and thin at all parts of your build.

- You will learn new skills you could never have imagined needing to learn prior to your build. For instance... I never knew how to rivet, sew, use epoxy putty or put snaps together!

- You will gain an amazing sense of community, accomplishment and confidence in yourself and legion members when you finish. Something you probably only get to experience once in a lifetime.

- Finally, you will have a gnarly costume, that you built, that will garner you fame and fortune from loving masses lol.

The Bad.

- You will blow a ton of money, so start pinching pennies.

- When you think you're ready to make a cut, you probably are not. Measure 4x before putting a sharp thing to your armour.

- You will get frustrated, angry and impatient like no other time in your life during the build process.

- If this is your first time building something like this, you will make mistakes and in turn need to spend more money. Be sure to do all of your research and keep reference materials on hand before you do anything.

- You will never have enough snaps.

The Ugly.

- You will want to drink away the frustration, do not during the build, you will be prone to UGLY mistakes and tears.

- You will have nightmares of mistakes.

- You will learn new swear words, that would make a pirate shake his head in disgust.

- You will bleed, get gloves. I have plenty of scars and burns to prove my stupidity.

- You might lose friends. All the time spent during this process may be the reason on missing out on fun times.

Oops!:

Everyone will have set backs during their TK build. Mine were plentiful and cost me in excess of 300 extra dollars. This is all due to lack of research, over confidence and beer lol. Heed my warning grunts.

The first screw up was being a perfectionist and not liking ear gaps. Despite warnings I thought it would be a good idea to warp the ears into shape with a heat gun. BAD IDEA, when someone tells you, heat and armour doesn't mix. LISTEN TO THEM! As a result I destroyed a helmet and 2 pairs of ears and needed to buy another entire set from AP. That and the generosity of some good friends I met here I will mention with great gratitude later.

Second screw up. I got too cocky putting my decals on my helmet... Needless to say they didn't turn out and need more from trooperbay... Soap and water solution is the way to go. Only use a drop of soap! Afterward gently place and slide into position then press out the excess water.

Third screw up. When cutting my ab plate and shoulder straps I was unsure, but proceeded without asking for help. I cut my straps and plate out far to round and close, not leaving any return edge... Not accurate and another expense.

Fourth mistake, same as the straps and plate... Didn't ask for help until after... 45 degree angle cuts on the belt were waaaaaayyyy to deep. Hence... New main belt..

All in all, the experience was lengthened by stupid mistakes and inexperience. It did get easier at the end though!

A funny thing happened on my way to the Death Star:

My journey was actually defined by hilarity, acts of kindness and the patience of the command staff.

A few funny things that happened on my way was how I got my nickname "Mesh"... It started early on in the build. I was working on helmet #1, putting strainer mesh in the frown. I asked for some help on the garrison facebook page, one member noticed my enthusiasm at my mesh job and took it upon himself to make that the mainstay of every reply he ever gave me. Constructive? No, but it stuck and now everyone calls me this lol. I could be asking where to put snaps on my belt and the reply would be to the effect of "just wrap it in mesh" or something like that lol. I eventually accepted it loving, rites of passage.

Another funny story that actually hurt, was when I was told to be careful whilst cutting with an exacto knife. I proceeded to reassure that, oh I'll be fine. A few minutes later I had cut almost to the bone of my left index finger... The funny part is that a few weeks later I was told I should buy gloves, I didn't heed this advice and almost cut off the pad of the same finger :(

As for brotherhood, kindness and special people? I shall discuss this in the next module...

Shout Outs:

There are so many of you out there that have helped me and supported me more than you know. Through the good times and the bad times. The difficult and easy. The happy and the sad.

My Wife to be, put up with this ridiculousness first hand. She bore the brunt of my temper tantrums, my frustration and the long hours I spent in solitude swearing or singing, screaming or crying. She supported me even though she didn't understand why I went to such lengths to reach this point. For her I am eternally grateful and always will be.

Next, I cannot express enough gratitude to my legion brothers and sisters for everything they did for me.            

- A special thanks to Mark Harrison of Authentic Props, without whom I would not have my armour lol, as well his speedy help when I screwed up parts.

- Aaron "Pyrates" Gibson, you saw me through some funny times, helped me when I screwed up my bucket and were always there to cheer me on through thick and thin. I salute you brother and will always be in your debt.

-Chris Eric "Knockerbot" Torok, thank you for the support and jabs lol.

- To Chris "TD 42115" Willis cheers man and thank you for your encouragement and unyielding support.

- Angie "Brattie" Latham, you have been a source of inspiration. You've taught me patience and kept me going with your great stories and compassion.

-To Dan "TK 2759", Thank you for sticking with me through my build and giving me great advice and constructive criticism.

-Thank you to my new friend Jorge "zv288bot" of the Georgia garrison for being another inspiration and always being one of the first to give me a thumbs up. Cheers brother!

-A shoutout to my Australian mate Kris "Haso" TK 29175, Thank you for being there through this looooong ordeal and giving me nothing but positive feedback.

-To Walter "Haribon72", it was your build thread that inspired me and guided me through the ESB trooper build. Eternal thanks brother!

-Thank you to All of the Detachment Staff especially Tony Ukswrath for all of his help and the great staff in my garrison especially Danny "MechaPumpkin" Steinberg, Charles "Clamps" Bowes and Andry "Dart" Bobyk (Pathfinders) for their patience and help. Bucket off for you guys.

- And finally all the great comrades I've met along the way, including but not limited to Justin "C0bra_M3nace" Roubichaud, Andrea "Pickles" Loar, Joseph "JustJoseph63" of the Makaze Squad, Everret "Ehinote2187", Paul "Clonecollector" (for my AM handguards), Spencer "Jinsei"and everyone on the FISD and 501st.

You guys are the best and I look forward to standing shoulder bell to shoulder bell with you soon!

Cheers!

- Dave "TK 22788/Mesh" Polewski  

Edited by ComradeDave
  • Like 8

Aww Meshie.. you worked so very hard to get here..

Congrats buddy! Awesome work.

Keep that head held high Meshie.. Looking forward to trooping with ya!

:dancing-trooper: Welcome Aboard Stormtrooper :dancing-trooper:

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Thanks for the shout out mate. It's been a pleasure following your build and seeing you get your TK number.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Like wise bud!

Thanks for the shout out mate. It's been a pleasure following your build and seeing you get your TK number.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awe yeah awe yeah! Spoken like a true gentleman! Proud to have you as a friend and brother in white plastic! <br><br>

Cheers!!

• Like 2

Likewise my shiny friend lol. Cheers Jorge!

Awe yeah awe yeah! Spoken like a true gentleman! Proud to have you as a friend and brother in white plastic! <br><br>
Cheers!!

• Like 2

Awesome write-up, Dave!  Thank you for sharing it.  Truly.

I believe I saw some photos of that exacto knife aftermath...  I think I speak for everyone when I quote the Jedi Scum Kenobi in saying "You're fortunate to be all in one piece."  ;)

Welcome to the Legion and the FISD, Stormtrooper.  We all put some degree of blood, sweat, and tears into these builds.  Rare is the trooper who puts in enough blood to cover a Garrison of the Legion's finest.   :smiley-sw013:

• Like 5

Humbled by your shout out brother, it was one epic journey that I was honored to share with you.

Got your six all the way my friend with unquestioned loyalty and camaraderie.

Troopers Helping Troopers WHOOO - WAHHH!

• Like 2